1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Comcast] Data Usage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmoney1101, Dec 3, 2020.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

So I’m a single dad that works from home and streams all of our programming everyday. My 2 yo daughter watches Sesame Street and I watch various different streaming platforms. Last month we had an 800 gb jump in usage according to Comcast, the 2 of us used over 1700 gb of data.

I called Comcast and in typical Comcast fashion they blamed me and told me that because I use my own modem they couldn’t give me any more information.

Has anyone else experienced this?

#1 tmoney1101, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If you can dump Comcast and use anyone else. Evil corporation with the worst customer service on the planet.

Are they throttling or charging based on your usage? If so drop them like a bad habit if you have an alternative.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  3. tmoney1101

I’ve never had an issue going over the 1200 data cap, which is a total scam, the only times that I’ve been over I’ve done it knowingly to use the comp credit. Last month our data was over 1700 gb with no change in usage. I have other options just trying to figure it out before I go through the hassle of switching plus I’m under contract for a few more months. I feel like they’re trying to force an upgrade to unlimited. We’re already over 212 gb less than 3 days into this month with only my daughter and I streaming hd content.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes, it is because of streaming. Almost 2 years ago, I cut the cord because everyone was using data streaming instead watching set top boxes and was going over Comcast data limit. After cutting cord....I got 2 years of Gigspeed from Comcast for $86....then added $50 of unlimited internet. $142 total with taxes. I have my own modem and routers.

Earlier this year, Comcast cast reduced the price of unlimited for me and now I pay $120 for Gigspeed internet and unlimited data. $12 for Hulu (no ads), Espn+, Disney+ Bundle...$17 for Netflix (max streams)...+$4.99 for Apple TV+(family) and that gives me a CBS All-Access/Showtime bundle for $9.99 a month (as long as I keep Apple TV+), and I have HBO Max for free because of my AT&T cell phone plan (unlimited). Because of my Comcast service, I get Peacock for Free (gave me a free flex box for it...or I can use the apps on Roku/Firestick). I pay a $5 "donation" to Locast for locals. I'm also currently getting Starz for $4.99 a month....lol. If I want to watch sports, CBS All-Access has Champions League soccer and NFL, ESPN+ has Bundesliga (German Soccer...I'm a Dortmund fan), Locast has local channel 11, 2, 13, 26 for those Broadcast. I also use Yahoo Sports for NFL, Reddit Streams for NBA and MLB.

$120+$12+$17+$4.99+$9.99+$4.99+$5.= $173.97 if my monthly entertainment /internet budget (Not including HBOMax which tied to the cell phone bill...but is free).

Oh, I also get 30 channels of Watch AT&T for Free thru AT&T. It gives me access to TNT and TBS.

I pay $249 ($60 off with autopay) for AT&T highest unlimited plan. That has one phone thru AT&T Next. My Bill dropped from $370 after 2 phones were paid off over the summer. Because AT&T is basically giving iPhone 12 away, a Max and regular iPhone 12 will be added for a TOTAL of $20 a month with trade-ins. So, the AT&T are included in the $270 a month (HBO Max and Watch AT&T).

#4 Mr.Scarface, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Do you have unlimited internet with your mobile plan? That might be a way to mitigate the data usage. My teenager blew my cap with constant YouTube so I just had him switch off wifi on his phone.

You might also see if you can reduce the resolution on the Sesame Street app. Lower res=less bandwidth. She’s 2.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  6. tmoney1101

I do but we haven’t changed our viewing habits and we’re 800gb higher than normal. It has to be a monitoring issue on their side. They even admitted to it back in 2019 when they charged thousands of people overage charges based on new a glitch in their new billing software. They finally admitted it as more people came forward and issued refunds. I was just wondering if anyone else with Comcast had experienced this issue over the past few months. We’ve been streaming exclusively for 3+ years so I have a pretty good idea of our normal usage.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Did you add any security cameras or Ring doorbells or anything similar? Is your neighbor using your Internet? lol

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Amazon Sidewalk?

9. tmoney1101

Nothing. Unless that ps5 is sucking an insane amount of data when it’s off. I thought about changing my password but it’s just seems so unlikely that the old lady next door would guess my it. I only have one house next to me and the other side is the entrance to the neighborhood.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I would change your password, and monitor usage every day, unless Comcast doesn't give you that option on its user portal. Even if you think it won't help, doesn't hurt to try.

You mentioned a PS5. Have you bought / downloaded games to the SSD, besides your usual streaming?

tmoney1101 likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. That's one way. I still can't believe some of the crap we give away of ourselves because it's "freeee". I was thinking more about security cameras even without something like Amazon Sidewalk. A lot of people have security cameras or doorbells they set to run 24 hours a day instead of on motion sensing or something and it could cause a large spike -- especially if it's a higher-resolution camera and you have multiple cameras.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Change your password and regarding the PS5 : https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...stroying-data-caps-breaking-data-use-records/

If you have a dashboard page on your router, it may show you a breakdown of what's using the data. For example, by the client/machine (like a pc, a roku stick, etc) or by application (like YouTube, Twitter, iCloud, DropBox, etc.)

tmoney1101 likes this.
  13. tmoney1101

I did a game and some large updates but it wasn’t over 125 gigs or so. I monitor my usage on everything multiple times a day, energy usage, credit, data, you name it. I’ll try changing the password but it just sucks switching over every device. I’ve got a ton of them.
    I’ll check it out. I only game for 2-3 hours a day other than that it’s streaming for around 15 hours between my daughter and I. 1700 gb in a month for just us 2 seems insane especially when we haven’t been anywhere near that in 3+ years of streaming exclusively. I’m sitting at 221 right now for 2 and a half days. If it keeps going like this I’ll have no choice but to upgrade to unlimited. I hope the caps end when the new administration gets in.

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

You might have to go Old School on troubleshooting for the problem.

Turn off everything but the bare minimum and then start monitoring data usage. If the data usage numbers look okay, then add another device. It is a pain in the neck to do it like this, but it does help on isolating where the problem is.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. The Caps aren’t going anywhere. Go unlimited. What is the speed you pay for?

16. tmoney1101

[​IMG]

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If Comcast doesn't provide you with a dashboard to show data usage by device, then the brute force method used in the past to isolate hardware and software issues on computers might be the way that you have to go.

Are you using their equipment or are you using your own to connect?

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Might want to turn off background data on your mobile. Could save 1 or 2 gigs from your phone snitching on you on wifi.

19. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

The PS5 seems likely to be the culprit to the me. When the console is turned 'off', it's actually in a standby mode that allows it to download games, game updates, upload save files etc.

MIAGI99 likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

What router? There should be a web interface to look clients over and monitor/manage usage (as mentioned). A better option is to go open source making your own firewall/router or other alternatives that are pre-built - don't get me wrong it's definitely involved on the initial setting up of something like that, but it'll give you the most control of your network and most likely improve your entire network.

If you're not looking to get that involved or don't have access to the GUI for your router - you can at least use an app like fing or even command prompts to check what's connected - https://lifehacker.com/ios-android-app-of-the-week-fing-network-scanner-1825205516

There's probably alternative apps by now but I thought this wasn't too bad if not at your computer and wanted to check what devices have been connected on your network in the past and real-time.

Sajan and tmoney1101 like this.