1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Combing the League for a Suitor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by emjohn, Jun 16, 2009.

?

What do you think?

1. Stays here and plays out the season

36 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Chicago

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. New York

11 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. New Jersey

7 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Phoenix

13 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Miami

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Other

17 vote(s)
    18.7%
  1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

29 Possible Teams

Not even a phone call (7)
    Den, Dal, SA, LAL, Port, Utah, Orl

Implausible (6)
    Detroit: why trade Rip & Tayshaun for a single player who's a medical question mark? McGrady can't replace them both (combined 32-9-7 last year), and Detroit is already well prepared for 2010 thanks to the Iverson rental and pending Wallace departure.

Tor: Marion was a possibility in Feb, but not anymore. There's no way Colangelo moves Bosh early if the return is a one year rental of a hobbled former All Star. They are better off waiting and trying to trade Bosh for a long term player in Feb, or trying to S&T him next summer.

Clev: they're trying to make moves, but Tracy clearly does not want to operate in someone else's shadow, and I highly doubt that is a big secret in the league. At best, they could be a 3-way deal partner.

Sacramento - They may want to make moves, but there's nothing in their pantry that would make sense. No, Kevin Martin is not going to be moved for McGrady.

OKC: no trade involving McGrady makes sense here.

Memphis: Marko & Darko don't make enough; we needed to do this with Walker's contract last Feb, but that would have caused rioting back then.

Dim Prospects (7)
    Indiana: this isn't that likely, but they are financially desperate. Granger's not moving, but Murphy, Dunleavy, and the #13 could be something they'd do to shave longterm money (~ $40M).

Minnesota: not much here. Miller, Cardinal, and Telfair would work, but wouldn't save them money (rentals for rentals) and it's questionable how much more McGrady would do for them over Miller & Telfair (combined 19 ppg). As it is, the Wolves have almost nothing committed past next season, so that won't be a driving factor for them.

Washington: They regret Jamison, but he doesn't really fit in well here as a tweener 4. They don't regret the bad Arenas deal enough (yet).

Philly: Dalembert and Kaponoo (and the #17) might work, but this is a directionless franchise that keeps taking terrible stabs in the dark.

New Orleans: people still think Paul is available, but I simply cannot believe they are that desperate. They badly want to unload Peja (pair him with Mo Pete, Daniels, or Posey) and would offer the #21. I don't see that as worthwhile. Even it were Chandler in place of Peja, it would saddle us financially with minimal return.

Boston: with Ray Allen in his final year, why would you mess with a championship nucleus for a question mark? There's next to no reason for them to consider it, or any other deal.

Atlanta: Bibby wouldn't be S&T'ed for nearly the amount to match salary. Josh Smith may be shopped, but doesn't make nearly enough. There isn't a bum salary to toss in to make things work. They *could* send a TE, but I can't see Atlanta being that desperate to lose Josh Smith (saving about $25M long term).

Possible (9)
    Charlotte: financially destitute, owner wanting to be bought out, Larry Brown wants to win, Jordan wants to make a splash. McGrady for Okafor, Wallace, and maybe the #12 saves the Bobcats a good $80M in longterm debt - a major factor in selling a team. Okafor has roots here and can shore up the backup 4/5 positions, McGrady has roots in Carolina and might be won over by Jordan.

NYK: McGrady for Hughes and Harrington (and the #8 pick). It's rentals for rental, so their's not a high likelihood for major buyer's remorse. If McGrady comes around, he gives the Knicks FAR more than Hughes & Al could. The Rockets complete their divorce and at worst get two rotation players at need positions.

Chicago: The Bulls want to rebuild around Rose, and McGrady can either be a part of that or his expiring deal can help them find players that will. McGrady allows them to unload their big contracts in Hinrich (out of position at the 2) and Deng (lost his position to the cheaper Salmons). McGrady could replace Gordon at the 2, and betters their cap position for 2010. Deng & Hinrich aren't moneyball players, but both could be nice on court assets for the team.

Golden St: I'd rather not deal with them, as they're mostly a roster of bad apple machine gunners with horrible contracts. But Maggette, Monta, or Jax could probably be had, along with the carrot of the #7 pick.

Clippers: Another one I file under Do Not Want, but it's possible. If we were talking about Baron before, it'd make sense that we'd talk again. My best case scenario here would be Baron, Camby, and a future pick. They want Z-Bo out badly, but no way in hell do we touch that cancer.

Bucks: Redd remains a longshot, as it's never popular to move the face of a franchise. Jefferson & Ridnour are a much more likely return, making Mil a 2010 player and saving them about $12M in a worst case scenario. It's doubtful they would see the need to include a pick; in fact, Houston would probably have to include $3M in cash.

Miami - a straight swap for O'Neal would essentially be a lateral move, but Houston completes its divorce, gets a usable back up center, and does not take on a poisonous contract. Riley rolls the dice that McGrady could provide more than O'Neal's weak sauce 13 and 5 (pretty good bet).

Phoenix: I don't see either Shaq or Nash coming here. I think the offer for McGrady peaks at Richardson, Barbosa, and the #14.

New Jersey: I think VC could definitely be had, but with Dooling tied in, and probably our sending a future pick.

The Last Big Chunk to Consider
    McGrady can, and probably will, act out if he doesn't like the destination. We live in an age where players torpedo deals, and McGrady is absolutely a guy that will hold a team hostage. He would likely be much more open to deals in February (2 months before free agency), but image is huge to him, and I don't see him going to a small market losing team quietly if at all. That effectively knocks Milwaukee out, hurts the chances of the Warriors and Clips, and it would be at least surprising if Brown & Jordan could sell him on the Bobcats.

I'd say the best bets are (no particular order):
    Chicago
    Knicks
    Nets
    Suns
    Heat

All this is not to say that McGrady WILL be going anywhere anytime soon. I personally believe there is zero chance he is a Rocket for the 2010-2011 season, and no better than 50-50 that he is still here in March. But who knows? Sometimes the best deal out there is no deal.

4 people like this.
  2. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Nice post, man. I disagree with a good chunk of it, but it's obviously well thought out.
    I haven't checked the numbers, but I'm gonna take it on faith that they all work.

3. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

I like Rip/McDyess or Kevin Martin yea I know I'm dreaming...

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

A bunch of those trades are just get rid of t-mac trades. I would rather keep him than trade him for crappy players. There is always the small chance that T-Mac returns to 80% of his form.

5. Strawman

Strawman Member

Same with me.

@ OP: I think you're taking the more pessimistic approach.

6. hasan08

hasan08 Member

Dude. Awsome post..helps clear it big hopes lol...(chris Paul)....I have been sitting on watch Ricky rubio. He actually looks like a good player, a lil risky since he is international but I like him. Anyways we need a gaurd that can close the game and that can take it to the whole.

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The trade for Wallace/Okafor sounds solid, but that's a lot of money to take back.

I'm looking forward to this off-season. I think Morey has something up his sleeve once again.

9. worzel gummidge

Add Buckner and the salaries work.

10. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Great thread man, you pretty much have the same opinions I have as far as what we could get back for a cripple T-mac. I really like the Hinrich and Deng from the Bulls over anything else. That would also mean that we could trade with Mephis and get that #2 pick with what was supposedly asked for in Brooks + Hayes. We could use Hinrich and Deng as trade bait for the Suns also because they are very high on Deng.

Thread rated 5 stars.

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Phenix is my likely candidate, remember in 2004 Pacers and Suns were the other teams seriously interested in McGrady.

Amare and Richardson for T-Mac, Landry and Barry makes sense for the Suns who are actively shopping Amare and his eye situtation is still questionable same as T-Mac's knee and back. Sorry folks but no GM is going to give us an All-Star for a one legged McGrady anymore. I am willing to take a chance with Amare, if goggles work then we have best frontcourt in the league period but otherwise he is a rental and can be claimed for insurance purposes. Richardson is the nice wing piece that makes it good for the Rockets. We get some athleticism and young legs as our wingman.

For the Suns, Nash, healthy T-Mac and Shaq are enough to make one last run for a title. This could be your 2010 Celtics replacement BIG 3.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It will still cause rioting.

13. saleem

I believe you are being too optimistic.

14. saleem

The OP's done very well and has made it clear that the likelihood of McGrady being moved is very low.I don't see either Chicago or the Suns helping us out.

15. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

This was an excellent post.

As much as it is fact-based, it still remains to be seen if some of the teams you listed as improbable or dim (Like Washington and Toronto) would seem to be not as far-fetched as you might think...

And I'm not all that down on McGrady, personally. But getting something as opposed to getting nothing has been the cry of the mob where McGrady's concerned...

Most everybody would take a couple of chia pets and a stick of chewing gum for McGrady right now. We'd only ask for an extra stick of gum for him by February, so the "divorce" is what's going to be the motivating factor, to me...

The team doesn't need him. Nobody in the locker room wants any more of McGrady's drama. Nobody in the stands wants any more of McGrady, period.

How, again, would moving McGrady for ANYBODY right now NOT be the thing to do for the Rockets?

I thought Daryl Morey wanted McGrady out of here last year, before McGrady kicked the legs out from under whatever deal was in the works. There's tons more leverage now to move McGrady like a bag of dirty laundry than ever before. Morey's playing with house money now.

He'll move McGrady for anything he can get if he knows what's good for him...

...won't he?

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

you might as well have added that you expect morey to pursue antonio mcdyess because of our reported interest in him in the summer of '98.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Chicago makes the most sense, especially if Houston could pry Omer Asik from the Bulls as well.

It may take a future number one though.

Deng could be used as trade bait or leverage against Artest's contract demands while Hinrich fills the vet point position and can also swing to the 2 when Brooks is in the game.

18. HTR99

HTR99 Member

First off, very well thought out thread. I've been thinking of possible suitors as well but teams aren't just going to give us their all-star for T-Mac no matter how bad things are for teams. It would be nice to get a player like Granger/Paul, but that's not happening.

As much as the BBS wants to get T-Mac out of here for anything, that's just now how DM is/would do. He won't do a deal for the sake of it unless it makes us better. It just doesn't make sense to trade him as an expiring to take on multiple players with long term deals. I wouldn't mind him staying as for once, I'd like to see him, Yao, and Artest with this cast give it a run.

19. MD_in_Training

Hypothetical question.

If Morey can't get any home run trades for Tmac, and he comes back towards the end of the season, do you play him at all? How do you not play your highest paid player when he comes back from injury? Do you risk him messing up the chemistry of a playoff tested roster?

20. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Put him in the Clutch suit and pray he doesn't get injured.