1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colorado Police break elderly women's bones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 15, 2021.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

What's funny to me is that, of the three, this was the most clearly malicious and depraved.

Potter was a model officer who made a deadly mistake.

Chauvin was negligent and some combination of lazy/wreckless (although apparently his method of restraint was approved by his department which was dumb but also not his fault).

But this dude? He beat the **** out of an elderly dementia patient and ****ing enjoyed it. That's pure sociopathy. Irredeemable. Do not pass go. Straight to jail ****.

The sentences were 2, 22 and 5 years respectively. Given the gravity of the Chauvin situation I can see how he got so many more years, but if you're asking me who is the most dangerous officer of the three? I think it's Hopp.

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a note the restraint used by Chauvin was approved but not for the amount of time that he used it. That is why even rookie LEO Lane asked Chauvin if they should turn Floyd onto his side. LEO including Chauvin's superiors testified that Chauvin's use of that hold was improper and was beyond what he was trained to do.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Who knew a knee on the neck for 10 minutes was an approved form of making an arrest? People just saying anything these days…

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I was speaking to the method/technique, not the duration. Don't go out of your way to be upset.

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The police mindset even shows up how they recruit. I literally just pulled up the current LAPD career page and this image is on the front page.

upload_2022-5-18_10-10-25.png

Let's run this one down:
    The one black guy is not allowed to stand and holding an American flag as he is ironically (or not) kneeling.
    The one woman, refusing to make eye contact, is passive-aggressively proud that she stole center stage.
    The white guy next to her, with clinched fists, is calculating his options of how to respond that they even let a woman into the photo shoot.
    Then you get the two old white guys toting their rifles that pulled from their trunk for this photo shoot that they once used to respond to a domestic hostage situation.

...and we wonder why we keep recruiting psycho's to the PD?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

"They're gonna call me sir they'll all stop picking on me
    Well I'm a high school grad I'm over 5 foot 3
    I'll get a badge and a gun and I'll join the P.D.
    They'll see" - Concrete Blonde, "God is a Bullet"

krosfyah likes this.
  9. TheresTheDagger

Attitude reflects leadership (and society).

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When the **** hits the fan, it's the police union and taxpayers who clean it up.

It takes a village...

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good point. It’s only been a handful of cases so there is still a lot more progress that needs to be made.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Ex-Colorado Cop Who Arrested 73-Year-Old Woman With Dementia Gets 45 Days In Prison

Daria Jalali, a former cop from Loveland, Colorado, was sentenced Friday to 45 days in jail in connection with the rough arrest of an elderly woman with dementia in 2020.

In the arrest of Karen Garner, 73, Jalali pleaded guilty in June in failing to intervene, a Class 1 misdemeanor, reported Coloradoan. As part of a plea agreement, two other misdemeanor charges were dismissed. She had faced up to 60 days in prison for not stepping in when another cop was being rough with the elderly woman. Jalali will have three years of probation following her jail sentence. In 2020, lawmakers stepped up penalties for the crime as part of a police reform bill. It was passed during protests over racial injustice and police brutality that year.

Garner was arrested by former officer Austin Hopp after she left a store without paying for items worth $14. Last year police body camera video was released that showed Garner repeatedly saying that she was trying to go home, reported Fox News.

In the video, after Garner turned away from him, Hopp grabbed her arm, pushed her to the ground and handcuffed her. Later, the cop pushed her against the hood of his car. After she tried to turn around, he moved her bent left arm up near her head. Then Garner started to slump toward the ground. Jalali arrived after Garner was handcuffed. She said, "Stand up! We're not going to hold you."

Later, the elderly woman filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Loveland and cops. Garner’s attorney said that during the interaction with the cops, she suffered a dislocated shoulder and a fractured humerus bone. In May, Hopp was sentenced to five years in jail for his treatment of Garner. A lawsuit filed by Garner was settled by Loveland for $3 million. Her family said that after her arrest, her condition deteriorated. She also requires around-the-clock care now.

Jalali apologized to her and her family in court, and she told Judge Joshua Lehman that she thought Garner was intoxicated. She believed that Garner was only complaining about her handcuffs so that she could get out of them.

While sentencing, Lehman said that there was an "abysmal failure of the duty to protect and serve," reported 9News. Lehman added that cops must have the ability to stand up to their fellow officers. The judge noted that need was "painfully obvious" in this case where a "delicate" woman was being arrested.

Garner's children said that they were pleased with the sentence. John Steward, Garner's son, said that they wish the Loveland Police "will really take this seriously and they would use this case to justify cleaning it up."

https://www.latintimes.com/ex-color...old-woman-dementia-gets-45-days-prison-523350