1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied [Yahoo]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Oct 20, 2010.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By Liz Goodwin – 2 hrs 40 mins ago

A town near drug cartel capital Juarez, Mexico, had just one applicant for police chief after a spate of killings of public officials in drug-related violence.

So now the new chief in Guadalupe, a town of 10,000 residents near the Texas border, is 20-year-old college criminology major Marisol Valles García.

Public officials have increasingly become the targets of assassination as Mexican cartels try to tighten their grasp on the country. Just this year, 11 Mexican mayors have been slain, including the former mayor of Guadalupe, who was killed in June. In the small town, "police officers and security agents have been killed, some of them beheaded," according to the AFP.

Valles tells a local paper that she took the job to help the town's people become less fearful. "Afraid? Everyone is afraid and it's very natural. What motivates me here is that the project [to make the community safer] is very good and can do a lot for my town. I know that we are going to change and remove this," she said.

One Mexican criminology professor told the Arizona Republic that getting elected to public office in Mexico "is like winning a tiger in a raffle."

"Before, it used to be an attractive job, living on the public payroll," said Dante Haro of the University of Guadalajara. "Now being a town mayor is very difficult, not just because of the economic problems but also this issue of obedience to organized crime."

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said recently that Mexico is "looking more and more like Colombia looked 20 years ago," when drug lords had a chokehold on many public officials.

A young Guadalupe citizen complained to Valles, "We are spending a great part of our lives locked up inside our homes," according to a Spanish-language paper. Valles responded that she wants to encourage more events for young people in the town.

More than 23,000 people have died in the country's drug violence since President Felipe Calderon declared war on the drug cartels in 2006.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upsho...ed-mexican-town-after-no-one-else-would-apply

#1 GRENDEL, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

This is absolutely terrible to say, but here it is: Hopefully, for HER sake, SHE's smart enough to get on the cartel payroll and do what they say.

#2 Supermac34, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  3. GRENDEL

It's a 20 year old girl

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Fixed!!

5. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Wow, I fear for her safety and she is very very brave.

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

"Oh crap...I thought the application was for Police Department Chef...What do you mean you won't accept my resignation?"

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Are the cartels so low they'd kill a 20 year-old girl just because she became police chief? My prediction: yes. I admire her cajones, but this is foolhardy at best, unless she's going to telecommute from Calgary or something.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

They will come to her with an offer to be on the payroll and to "play ball". She will get one chance to accept. If not, then she'll be without a head fairly soon.

9. GRENDEL

I think you are giving the drug cartels way too much credit on the human decency side. Like Supermac34 said, I'm sure an offer will be made and how she responds will determine how things go.

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Girl has balls but unless she has mutant powers she is keeping hidden away, this could get ugly.

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I was going to pose the same question but didn't because I think the answer is an obvious and resounding YES.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Would hit. (so would the cartel, unfortunately)

2 people like this.
  13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i was admiring her rack...but whatever works for you.

1 person likes this.
  14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I guess you can make this into a joke but it's actually really sad.

She's basically a martyr.

1 person likes this.
  15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Wouldn't it just have been smarter for the Cartel to have an inside man apply for the position? :confused: Same effect and less dieing.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

whats the history between cartels and women in a similar position? They've killed female bystanders, but this may be something they've never really encountered.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This.

18. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

I give it less than 1 month before she makes the news again. :(

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe she is an inside man. Good way for a young upstart to climb the cartel ladder quickly? :(

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was admiring her head, since it probably won't be there for long.

1 person likes this.