1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Rockets Fans....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by brooksstephens, Apr 27, 2009.

1. brooksstephens

Okay... so I'm a freshman in college (George Mason University) and I'm having one Hell of a time studying for finals during the NBA playoffs.

It's thrown my studies off in pretty much every class.. but I just CANT bring myself to skip a rockets playoff game to do homework. And on any given night that the Rockets play, I find myself way too antsy to do work before or after the game.

Anybody else having the same problem?

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Just take classes during the fall semester. Eight quick years will fly by before you know it.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

NBA Playoffs + being a huge procrastinator = writing a 20 page case study yesterday when it's due today.

Believe me man, the pain is real. :(

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i guess i was lucky in that the first three years i was in college the rockets didnt make the playoffs and the year that they did it was against the lakers who i felt was going to sweep us anyway.

but if i was in school now with this going on i wouldnt even begin to think about how much study time i would lose

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i don't know--i had problems every year. i mean the rest of the playoffs were on, and i didn't like missing playoff games on TV. My finals studying always suffered a lot in the Spring

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I showed up late to an Old Testament final my freshman year to watch a Clippers/Rockets first round matchup in 1993. Walked into class with my Vernon Maxwell jersey on about an hour into the 2 hour final.

7. Fatty FatBastard

I graduated with an Horry Jersey under my cap and gown. Went straight from the ceremony to a sports bar where I watched us get swept by the Sonics.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

i have been pulling quite a few all nighters to compensate for the Rockets games

9. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

The only year I was at UT and the Rockets were in the playoffs was in 2004... I managed to get through finals okay... The Rockets OTOH... :(

10. FranchiseBoi86

Finished school last Friday so I'm golden

11. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I started college in the fall of 2006 and I've since then noticed my study habits decline in late April/early May. It's a curse being an NBA fan in college since everything intersects. I'm glad the Rockets have a pretty good chance at playing a series well into May so I can finally invest ALL of my time into the playoffs after final exams.

12. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I'm dying. As a Houston Rockets and Calgary Flames fan, they've been playing on pretty much an alternating schedule (1 game every night). While I fear that Calgary may increase my productivity with a loss to end their season, my productivity up to this point has been zero.

GO FLAMES! YOU ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT TEAM IN THE WORLD UNTIL TOMORROW!!!

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

lucky you.. the Caps and Rockets play on the same day/night a lot of times. Yesterday and tomorrow being prime examples.. so I lose 6 hours (and have to deal with 6 hours of stress)

14. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

ive been a huge rockets fan since the championship years...yes even stuck with them when they were god awful..and im currently finishing my 3rd year in med school..ive only missed a handful of rox games (0 playoffgames) in all of those years...in large part to R2k thanks buddie..anyways it can be done..and yes u just gotta force yourself and organize your time around the rockets.

get your priorities straight...Rox first and foremost..then everything else :D

15. duwende

duwende Member

I hear ya. I'm taking Step 2 CS in 2 weeks in the middle of my surgery rotation, so I'm sacrificing sleep for the Rox at the moment :eek:

16. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I did two years of surgery and watched 82 rockets game each season, now i'm a pgy-4, 2nd year radiology resident, watching 82 rockets games a year. DVR is a man's best friend.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Poor College Students. I live in Port Arthur and have to be at work at 7:00. I was at the game last night, didn't get home until 1:00 AM, was up at 5:30, at work at 7:00, and presenting a design in a meeting at 8:00. Just learn to manage your time around it and get plenty of rest.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I been doing surprisingly well. I been killing it on my final midterms and have been finishing all my labs on time as well and getting awesome grades. Finals start 2 weeks from now and I built a cushion. We'll see how I fare.

19. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

i have a hard time at the end of both semesters.
    my birthday runs at the end of fall semester always on a finals week.
    and of course playoffs. i catch myself watching the games rather than study. :(

but im doin good so i should come out with good grades.

i hope

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Man, the Rockets are more addictive than drugs+smokes+alcohol+p*rn put together...

I'm a Freshman in college and whoa, I'd be getting awesome GPA's if the Rockets didn't exist...(then again I probably would be addictive to some other team)...

I've always felt the Rockets killed my studies...never thought someone would start a whole thread on it though, but now I feel slightly better seeing all my fellow Clutchfans going through the same suffering...

Ok this is what I find myself doing, completely voluntarily...In the regular season I catch every single game of the Rockets AND their immediate rivals that affects the Rockets. And in the playoffs I happen to sacrifice my study and sleep and eating and washing time so I can watch the Rockets live AND several replays, (some being highlights)...But wait, it gets worse, IN THE OFFSEASON...with the drafts and free agent signings, AND IN PARTICULAR TRADES, I get all worked up and excited about potential trades and player signings and happen to trade 32423 trade proposals...=p

Man its hard work being a Rockets fan...a hardcore one at least

I'm hoping I get some school work done soon...wish me luck