1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[College Football] Tuberville to become new Texas Tech Head Coach

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 9, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

That's what I figured. The longer this went on, the less chance it was going to be Ruffian McNeil.

As an outsider (I'm a UT alum), I think it's best that Tech just went with a total fresh start. McNeil would have been a mistake in the long run.

3. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

The double T's unite.

I wonder if Leach will become the next USC head coach?

4. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

LOL, is that a joke? They wouldn't let Leach coach USC in a hundred years.

5. Major

Major Member

No way he fits at USC. But if they go after the Oregon State coach, I could see him at a place like OSU. The ideal place for him is an off-the-radar place that's still pretty good and can recruit decent talent.

But that said, I'm not sure anyone would touch him this year until after all the legal stuff between Tech and Leach gets resolved and what exactly happened is cleared up.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Tuberville is an upgrade over Leach. Good job Tech. I bet they were just looking for a reason to get rid of Leach so they could get Tuberville.

This is what happened with Mack Brown. Mack Brown visited Austin several time before Mackovic was ever fired.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Leach is definitely radioactive for this year, I mean torching your bosses repeatedly and publicly makes it a tough hire.

8. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

not really excited about tuberville..shoulda kept Ruffin in my opinion!

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Interesting. What will Tuberville accomplish at Texas Tech that Leach didn't?

10. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Tuberville did some good things at Auburn, but I have little respect for the guy. He has been whoring himself around the past couple of years, openly campaigning for jobs regardless of whether he was even a candidate or not.

11. Major

Major Member

Isn't this exactly what the Tech admin supposedly hated about Leach? It will be funny if, next year, Tuberville is interviewing for other jobs to get a raise out of Tech...

12. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

It's not exactly the same situation, as Tuberville wasn't coaching at the time.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Tuberville went undefeated at Auburn and was ranked 2nd the nation at the end of the season. Last year was Tech's best season and they got exposed by Oklahoma and lost in its bowl game. In every other season he lost at least 4 games.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Your opinion is horribly wrong. Ruffin was mediocre in every sense of
    the word, I was scared Tech would hire him and ruin their program. LOVE the Tommy hire.. I had little faith, but tech administration got something right. I think Tommy will probably end up being a better recruiter than Leach as well. Either way, goodbye offense, hello defense.

15. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I can't believe the Tech fans aren't more excited about this. If were a Tech fan, I'd be doing celebratory cartwheels. IMO, this shows you that Tech is a legit player in college football now. This demonstrates that the program is bigger than a single coach.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I wouldn't do cartwheels yet. If Tuberville tinkers with the offense, IMO Tech returns to where it was or where it is...not good enough to beat UT and OU in the same year. At least Leach gave those teams fits.

17. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

im guessing you don't watch much texas tech football, McNeil did wonders for their defense

1 person likes this.
  18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Did you? Did wonders? Whaaat? We were still crappy at defense. True, we were slightly less crappy than pre-Ruffin, but still bad nonetheless. You're acting like Ruffin had a Muschamp type D. Ruffin was a mediocre defensive coordinator, and it'd be terrible for our program if he was given the reigns. Tommy T is a proven winner in a top conference- how you prefer Ruffin to him baffles me.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Tuberville is a good hire but I'd pump the breaks a little. Tubberville has been trying to get back into CFB the past couple years but couldn't find any takers. And even though had that undefeated season in 2004, he had 4 or more losses in 8 of his 10 seasons while at Auburn.

With that said, this is good hire for Tech and most of my Tech buddies are pretty stoked. A lot of them also wanted Ruffin back as well though.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Leach was GREAT for TT football. He had them ranked for 5 of the last 6 years, and 10 straight bowl games.

Tuberville is a DOWNGRADE from mike leach.

It is not like TT a real powerhouse.