1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[College Football]Texas A&M @ University of Texas - Austin

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by percicles, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is a good point. The call was right however. But hopefully Heard thought it was live. If not... Then man. He better get punished. Bennett hit was legit. Nobody calls that. It was simply insult to injury.

On another note I think Texas could potentially be better off with Snead. McCoy makes the right decisions, protects the ball. But Snead has the legs and arm to make some game breaking plays.

2. updawg

updawg Member

Wow, I'm surprised by some of yalls reactions (not really). b****in about UT arrogance etc and then once you finally get a victory you do the same thing.

Congrats on the win and enjoy
    This should renew the rivalry some, especially with the shots on Colt at the end.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

what i saw was Heard saw the interception and immediately turned to block McCoy. maybe Heard didn't expect his teammate to go down so fast. i thought the play was legit under the circumstances. it also depends on when the whistle was blown. if you don't hear a whistle, keep playing.

4. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I was at the game, so I don't have the benefit of review on a lot of plays so this isn't whining, I'm really not sure if these calls were correct:

The refs were pretty horrible for both sides today.

They didn't cost us the game, though. Our suck-tastic defense did that.

Sadly, for the Longhorns, you usually have to score more than 7 points to win and we did not. Congrats to the Aggies who came out of the surprisingly ugly game victorious. I expected more of a high scoring affair with the horns winning by 1 TD or so. Obviously, I was wrong.

Hopefully all of you Aggies enjoy tonight's victory. We had the same type of game last year against OU finally getting over the hump and it felt good. I'm sure this feels just as good for you guys. Congrats!

Hopefully this win means Coach Fran stays on another year! :D Hope all the Aggies who made it out to Austin enjoyed themselves and had a safe trip back home. Enjoy the rest of the weekend guys.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You know Mack Brown is the winningest coach out of all active coaches in the NCAA right? To say we deserved a 3 loss season is opinion, but to say its about normal for UT Teams is wrong.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Very true, but unforunately you can't hear the whistle on the replay nor can you see when the hit was compared to ball carrier going down. At the end, the refs deemed it was a late hit, so bad that they threw him out of the game.

I just don't think you can say we're letting our proud get in the way of looking at the hit objectively. Even Aggy fans on the board are saying it was a late hit that was uncalled for/

7. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

For some reason my local network listed the game as being tomorrow at 12PM and I missed it... :mad:

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

since when?? how old are you??? UT has finished in the Top Ten 24 times since 1936...about 1/3 of the time. Only Notre Dame and Michigan have more wins all time than the Texas Longhorns.

UT has won 4 national championships since 1963. they have played for the national championship 6 times, i believe. how many other universities can say that??

USC has 6 since 63.

Notre Dame has 4 since 63

Alabama has 5 since 63

OU has 4 since 63

Michigan has 1 since 63

Ohio State has 2 since 63

Miami has 5 since 63

Nebraska has 5 since 63

I promise you, the University of Texas isn't going anywhere. They will continue to be super-competitive under Mack Brown.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Kind of funny this season ended with UT and TAMU having the same records.... :eek:

Man this has been an awesome Thanksgiving break.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I was at the game too! Basically:

McCoy made ill advised passes to defenders when he should have thrown the ball away twice.

Run defense couldn't handle the option.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Dodge caught the ball outside the hash and immediately ran out of bounds with it. I don't know what Heard was thinking, but if he wants to pick someone to lay out the last person on the field to pick is the QB. They don't have half a dozen rules in place to protect the quarterback for no reason.

If he wants to run over there and block, fine. Diving into the McCoy when he's nowhere near the play and walking off the field is ridiculous and absolutely deserves a personal foul. McCoy was walking off the field with a group of other players, why didn't Heard hit one of the other UT players?

12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

From a UT alum, congratulations Aggies! Your team played hard and they deserved the win. That 4th quarter drive was a thing of beauty and absolutely gut-wrenching for me. Goodson and Lane are fantastic, and McGee showed a lot of awareness in that last drive.

13. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Born in July 1970...only seen the one Horns title...though obviously I know they got part of the title in 69 and 70 and were unanimous in 63.

I had a gambling problem after I graduated HS in 88...and it seems to me UT was pretty good against SWC schools...but usually lost against National Powers...I am just working from memory...but I bet I could drege up the record of losing trying to bet on the Horns.

Anyway UT has long been the best College Football team in Tx...but they don't seem to be a title contender most every year like OSU, Michigan and the Florida schools.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

the QB is fair game when he is out of the pocket. you can't hit helmet to helmet of course, but if you play within the rules and just b/c it was a vicious hit doesn't necessarily make it wrong. i do think Heard went overboard, but i thought the play was within the legal rules of the game.

as for why didn't he hit another UT player? maybe b/c McCoy was the only player in front of him.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

its been the day after thanksgiving for a while.

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I guess agree to disagree. From the shots ABC showed of the hit it was hard to tell how soon it occurred after Dodge ran out of bounds. I think the officials are going to call that every time though for the quarterback, especially when he's making no effort to be involved whatsoever in the play after he's thrown the ball.

I'm going to stop arguing this with you now before somebody mistakes me for a Longhorn. :D

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The hit on Colt McCoy that got the guy thrown out was vicious, illegal and unnecessary.

First he hit him from behind on the back side of his body.....cowardly.

Second, he hit him pretty much after the play was over and Colt was taking off his helmet

It was uncalled for....and A&M should suspend him for the next game......

A&M won the game they deserved it...they played harder and smarter......

No need for the kind of hit that was put on Colt.....that was dirty........John Stockton & Bruce Bowen dirty.

DD

18. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

well, snead threw an int, but i'd like to see him play in the bowl game... cotton bowl most likely now :( :rolleyes: :mad:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9826552

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the numbers i posted speak for themselves.

OSU, Michigan and each Florida school isn't a title contender "most every year" either.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

A&M outplayed Texas. They played with more passion, and played tougher. They deserved the win.This is the Aggies weekend. They deserve to enjoy!

As for the Horns, this year's football team was soft and unclutch. Having a lot of talented guys on both sides of the ball masked some real problems on both sides. Longhorn coaches and players need to get to work next offseason, because it looks like they sat on their a**es post Rose Bowl. From TOSU to A&M and quite a few games in between they just didn't come out to play (NU, Tech, KSU). Maybe they will be hungry next year. UT was neither a tough nor hungry team.

Finally, as an aside, I am not sold on McCoy as a 4 year starter. If I were a QB stud recruit, I wouldn't stay away from UT because McCoy and Snead are there. McCoy is neither a super athlete nor big arm all tool QB, obviously Snead hasn't impressed either. I am not saying McCoy won't be a solid 4 year college QB--he might be, but he had a hell of a lot of talent around him and mainly had to drive the bus--he showed some weaknesses in the big games (not much of a down field arm, average athleticism) that experience may not help.