1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football: Rice Owls vs. Houston Cougars

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by bigtexxx, Nov 25, 2009.

1. The Drake

The Drake Member

Yeah, as an alum I would find it much more embarrassing to essentially give up playing with the big boys and and drop down a level.

True historically we aren't very good, but we've made it into a bowl 2 of the past 4 years, so there's some hope that the future will be better for the Owls.

I don't really know what else to tell you other than we aren't going anywhere; the cost of fielding an FBS football team is really the least of my worries.
    *shrug*

If anyone thinks we're going to drop a level just because of 1 lousy season...then you haven't been following Rice football for very long :p

side note: if you were just trying to poke fun at big texxx, I didn't mean to get in your way by trying to respond with some actual discussion. :p

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I actually don't think it's a horrible idea, and eventually over time, I think it will become more palatable. I just don't see too many more upslopes for Rice. Stanford and NW are the two shining examples, but then they have the luck of playing in big-time BCS confs, and not C-USA, no offense to CUSA.

I saw my very first CFB game at Rice stadium. All i remember is UT's kicker (Jeff Ward, remember it to this day because he shared the name of a motocross star who was always at the Astrodome). Of course I was about 6 back then and somehow thought kicking was the coolest part of the game.

I remember reading way back when that the Hobby's basically told Rice back in the 90's that there was no way they could drop football ever, but I think as time passes and SWC memory fades, an FCS move could be more palatable. I mean honestly, is playing SHSU or SFA really THAT much less exciting to students/alumni etc than playing Louisiana Tech or Southern Miss? And at least Rice would arguably have a chance to win a title. FCS is actually pretty exciting football, produces lots of NFL players and lots of teams that can (and regularly do) beat FBS teams.

3. The Drake

The Drake Member

I didn't mean to knock FCS football, no disrespect.

But I guess I don't see your reason as to why Rice should drop a level, other than it would be cheaper.

Sure Rice will probably never win a championship in FBS, but neither will SMU, Tulsa, Memphis, Marshall, UTEP, Tulane, and *gasp* UH among many others. Now should all non-BCS schools just say "screw it" and form their own league? hmm...I'm actually gonna have to think about that...

But to suggest that Rice can't ever become consistently competitive in FBS football is wrong. I realize I'm picking a bad time to argue this, but Rice is only 1 year removed from a 10-win season and has just completed a stretch of 2 bowls in 4 years: a marked improved over the history of the program. Things can change quickly in college football, and I don't think I need to remind UH fans of that.

Again, I feel like I'm taking your posts too seriously...I'll go back to letting you enjoy your Bucket. ;)

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I have no horse in this race, but the 2 bowls in 4 years is more reflective of the proliferation of bowl games rather than an improvement in Rice's football program.

Ken Hatfield had three or four seasons of at least 7 wins during his tenure at Rice. He went to zero bowls. Todd Graham's bowl season was on a 7-5 season. The 10-3 season, which has been followed up with little success, seems to be an aberration.

And on a completely random note, Ken Hatfield is now a local spokesperson for a pizza buffet that runs TV ads nonstop in Northwest Arkansas. I get tired of seeing him every 20 minutes! :)

5. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Fortunately Coach Sumlin is classier than I am, I would have sent Case Keenum out there in the second half with instructions to make us the lead story on SportsCenter, just because Rice had the audacity to knock us out of the C-USA title game last year.

As it is, we played the water boy, half the percussion section and 3 Cougar Dolls and still won by almost 60.

If Coach Sumlin can recruit some maybe 2nd tier stud defenders from Texas high schools who might not be able to start for Texas, Oklahoma or LSU right away and we get these young guys who played all year to focus for every game, we have a chance to be undefeated next year. Course we will still probably play in the Liberty Bowl cause the BCS is a joke.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

We play @ Tech and @ UCLA next year.

Undefeated? Ehhh....

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both Stanford and Northwestern have gone through some pretty crappy stretches. There have been a few times that people in the Big Ten have said that the Northwestern Mildcats should be kicked down to Division II but we have seen those programs manage to rebound. Another example is Vandy so its certainly possible for a private school primarily focussed on academics to have sports success.

You're right CUSA isn't the Big Ten, Pac Ten or SEC but its still got some decent teams and has a natural rival to Rice in Tulane. Also while it might be cheaper for Rice to drop to Division II they would also lose revenue from playing at the FCS level which might washout any savings.

Things are bad for Rice now but I certainly don't think this should be any call to do away with FCS football. With a one or two decent recruits Rice could be back competitive.

8. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

The weird thing is that the original C-USA would have to be considered an elite conference this year. Cincinnati, TCU, Houston thats a couple top 5 teams and a potential #10-12 team.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good schools dont always equal intelligent people