1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Picks 9-27

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by El_Conquistador, Sep 26, 2003.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Friday has arrived and it’s time for the Trader_Jorge College Football Picks of the Week. To those who bet alongside me last week, I say, *You’re Welcome*. I was up HUGE last week, thanks in large part to nailing the Super_Jorge Parlay Card and taking home 13.5 units on that bet alone! Combined with my NFL bets, I was up a whopping 20 units last week – a remarkable windfall gain. I’ve already won my first bet of the week, as Nebraska put a pounding on Southern Miss last night. Read on to find out what I’m doing with those 2 units won from last night!

LSU -13 @ Mississippi State (5 units) – LSU is undefeated ATS this season, and Miss State is winless ATS. Miss State is 1-9 ATS in their last 10 conference matchups. The LSU defense is yielding a paltry 9 points per game, while their offence is averaging 40 ppg. Miss State has the worst pass defense in D-1, yielding over 340 yards per game. Classic mismatch, as Miss State is coming off an ugly loss to Houston. Miss State’s team is on the verge of quitting on Jackie Sherrill. LSU has blown out Miss State in their past two meetings by a combined score of 73-13.

Miami, Ohio -7 vs Cincinnati (5 units) – Miami is really opening some eyes this year thanks to their Heisman-candidate QB, Ben Roethlisberger. Miami is 11th in the nation in passing yards and racked up 700 yards through the air and a combined 85 points in their last two road games (@ Northwestern 44-14 and @ CSU 41-21). After steamrolling a good Colorado State team on the road, Miami returns home to face the Bearcats in the annual Victory Bell battle. Miami has won the past two meetings, including a 5-point road victory last season. Cincinnati was way overvalued in last weeks ATS loss to Temple – one of the worst teams in college football. Temple moved the ball at will against the Bearcats, who were only saved from a straight-up loss by a horrible Owl kicking game. This is Miami’s home opener and they are debuting a new turf on the field. Expect the Redhawks to be jacked up for this game.

Iowa -6.5 @ Michigan State (5 units) – Iowa is one of the top 3 teams in the country, IMO. They haven’t lost a game in their last 10 regular season games. Iowa’s defense shutout a very good Arizona State offense last week and is currently the second best defense in the nation, yielding only 8 points per game. Michigan State is *severely* overrated here, coming off their win over Notre Dame. Remember, before playing Notre Dame, Michigan State lost at home to Louisiana Tech – pathetic. Iowa blew out Michigan State last year – look for a big Michigan State let down this year after their big win last week. The strength of Iowa’s defense carries them in this game.

Other games:
    Texas -29 vs Tulane (3 units) Texas has a fire lit under them after being disrespected.
    Toledo +3.5 @ Syracuse (2 units) Toledo is on fire after their wins vs Marshall and Pitt
    Wake Forest moneyline (+230) @ Virginia (2 units) – Virginia QB may be out or slowed with an injury, Wake played a very good Purdue team close and beat NC State by 14 earlier this season.
    Air Force pk @ BYU (2 units) BYU’s starting QB is out for this game, Air Force blew them out last year and returns virtually the same team.

Super_Jorge Parlay Card
    After last week’s big victory in the 5-team parlay, here is this week’s:
    Tennessee vs South Carolina OVER 37.5
    Iowa -6.5 @ Michigan State
    Arkansas -1 @ Alabama
    UCLA moneyline vs SDSU -450
    USC moneyline @ Cal -550
    2 units, pays 19.2 units!

Loco_Jorge Parlay Card
    Ok, this is where things get crazy: After last night’s Nebraska victory (2 units), I’m letting that money ride on a wild 8-team parlay, with a 104-1 payout!! Here goes:
    Miami, Ohio -7 vs Cincy
    Iowa -6.5 @ Michigan State
    LSU moneyline @ Miss State-650
    Rice +21 @ Hawaii – covered last four against Hawaii
    UCLA moneyline vs. SDSU-450
    Toledo moneyline @ Syracuse +150
    USC moneyline @ Cal -550
    Wake Forest moneyline @ Virginia +230
    Bet: 2 units, pays 204 units!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

wtf are the 'units' you are talking about, and what are you betting?

3. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Trader I hope you are right about this. I'm a big fan of Iowa football and we have a good team this year, but the Hawks are walking wounded right now. I'm nervous about this one.

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

A unit is your base dollar amount. A unit for some people is $100, a unit for others is $20. If your units represent $20, then betting 2 units means you're betting $40 on a game.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How's that gambling going for you this week?

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The lock of the week last week, I felt, was Georgia Tech being a 7 point road favorite over Vanderbilt. I honestly thought that line was too small.

As it turned out, GT had to go to OT to beat Vandy but they did cover as they won 20-13.