1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Games Today relating to the Big 12 BCS Mess

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Major, Nov 29, 2008.

1. RedRaiderRocket

I think it will help. It could be classless, but it could help in the computer polls. The human voters in my opinion wont get phased at all but them knowing what the final score should be, but I don't know tomorrow will tell.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Considering that margin of victory was eliminated several years back as a component - it will not.

3. RedRaiderRocket

Then I guess I was wrong and it will probably have little to no effect, I honestly have no idea what the computers calculate besides strength of schedule.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But margin of victory may count in the human polls which make up 2/3rds of the BCS...

Hopefully Stoops loses some votes due to that late TD....a classless move on his part.

DD

5. Major

Major Member

OSU called a timeout before that play, and still had at least one more left, I believe. No one ever takes knees if the other team is calling timeouts. If he'd be throwing the ball trying to run up the score, that's one thing. But he was running a sideways running play with 30 seconds to go - it's not like they expected to score a 30 yard TD on it.

6. DaDakota

He takes a knee......two more times and they run out the clock....it was a classless move and he could have gotten a player of his or OSU's hurt.

DD

7. Ashes

Ashes Member

I think it's kind of funny how everyone supporting OU are saying basically, "It's what we've done lately. Forget what happened earlier."

I just find it odd. "Just forget that we lost to Texas on a neutral field. That was two months ago!" That's what they are basically saying.

College Football really needs a playoff next season. If it isn't obvious now, then I don't know when it will be.

8. Major

Major Member

Irrelevant. It never happens. If the other team is calling timeouts, the offense always just runs silly running plays. No idea why, but it's not classless - it happens all the time.

9. Major

Major Member

Or a better tiebreaker. This is nothing compared to the USC/OU/Auburn debacle - those teams were undefeated. At least in our case, all of the teams stumbled and lost the right to claim they are definitively the best.

10. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I'm not too optimistic about our chances either in the polls tomorrow or to have Mizzou beat OU.

Sucks.

Oh, and I don't think OSU had another time out. Still don't know why Gundy would call that TO.

11. Major

Major Member

Sagarin ratings are already out - and it's very bad news for Texas.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm

This was our best computer with Texas #1 and OU #4. This week, OU is #1 and Texas is #2 - meaning a 4 spot swing. I think that alone would put OU ahead, even ignoring all the other computers. We'd need to change a lot of poll voters for this to work out for Texas.

This is where Missou and Colorado losing (both on last minute field goals - Missou missing one and Nebraska making one) really hurt. That might have done the trick and pushed OU over us.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Oh well. OU will flatten Missouri and hope that Alabama beats Florida.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup. I think everyone knows I'm one of the biggest Mizzou fans in the world, but the Mizzou secondary is beyond atrocious. The game today was as embarrassing as any I've ever watched as a football fan, in terms of mental errors and lapses. If we play OU, I honestly think OU could put up 90, if they really wanted to. The back seven of this D is that bad. High school teams could put up 20 on us.

Chase Daniel will have to play the game of his life -- and by that I mean put up 50+ points on the OU defense and score every possession -- for us to have a chance. I'll be there and I hope a miracle happens, but it would be just that -- a miracle.

By the way, justtxyank, I recognize that I'm going to lose the bet and I'll pay the tip jar very soon. :) Wanted to go ahead and get that out of the way -- voters translated all of this very differently than I expected based on precedent.

14. The Cat

[homer]I should mention that if there's any positive to Mizzou's chances, it's that they were a couple of very unlucky breaks away from beating Kansas and Oklahoma State and being 11-1.[/homer]

With that said, if you watch Missouri on a regular basis -- the problems with the pass D make OU about the worst matchup possible. Mizzou's offense is good enough to keep pace against KU and bring it down to the wire against a pretty good team. Against Oklahoma, Chase would have to be absolutely flawless, and I just don't see how he can do it for four quarters. I see it very much like the OU-OSU game tonight, where one punt (see OSU with about 6 min left) is all OU needs to win, because Mizzou can't get a stop.

I hope to hell I'm wrong. And I guess I could be, because this D has most of the talent that formed the Big 12's top unit in conference play last year. But the execution hasn't been there for 12 games, and I don't see why it would suddenly appear in a week. I've been counting on things to suddenly get better for months, and after today, you can't help but wave the white flag and realize it's not getting better.

15. junglerules

junglerules Member

They do drop the highest and lowest poll results, but yeah, this is a bad omen. The more OU erases or takes a computer lead, the more ground Texas must make up in the polls. Overall, not looking good. Was feeling a little more optimistic when I went to sleep last night.

Sucks to think that the RRS might have meant nothing this year. All the "who can limit this amazing OU offense?!?!?! blah blah blah stuff....it happened once. Of course they weren't shut down- the OU offense is too good for that. But Texas held them to 35, with only 14 in the second half. Is that Texas' only argument? No. But it's the strongest one, and the least arbitrary or hypothetical. We had our chance against Tech, but that 4 game gauntlet caught up to us for sure. Injuries to Roy Miller, Orakpo and Quan Cosby in that Tech game may have helped seal our fate....

We'll see what happens this afternoon. Regardless, an amazing season in the Big 12, especially the South. There's going to be a top 6 or 7 team in the cotton bowl. Amazing, and disappointing for that team. Not fair at all to Tech, OU or Texas....

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Stuff like this is why people accuse the horn fans of being arrogant. The game did mean something, until you went and choked your nutz off against a crappy Tech team. Since that happened, Tech has as much claim to any title hopes as you do.

17. DaDakota

GO MIZZOU !!!

Shock the world.......!!!

DD

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if you can't stop them running the ball, its not running up the score.

19. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I might tick off Tech fans with this....but so be it...

Bigtexxx, if Texas' fans are arrogant, than the media is arrogant as well. No one is even considering Tech anymore, they played two division 2 teams and barely beat Nebraska and Baylor at home. They also got the benefit of playing Texas at home and had to go to OU.

The talking heads at this point all say that Tech is a distant third. Mike Leach even conceded as much with his "the 3 way tie should be decided by graduation rate."

Anyone who says Tech should be considered is lying to themselves, so then it comes down to Texas and Oklahoma, and anyone with a brain knows who should win that debate.

But as for what will happen, unless human voters change their mind and really evaluate what took place during the course of the entire season, then OU will jump Texas in this terribly flawed system, in which, well, I guess the regular season isn't a playoff after all.

20. The Cat

If you don't have to run a play and you're up 13 with 30 seconds left, it kind of is.