1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Games Today relating to the Big 12 BCS Mess

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Major, Nov 29, 2008.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

probably. i was just speaking of how to think of ou's offense historically. 4 straight 60 point games, 53 ppg. but they haven't faced much of any defense, have gone to a hurry up offense that was probably faster than just any offense ever, and have kept scoring because they give up lots of points. so i don't know if they are 2005 UT/usc good, much less 95 nebraska.

he won't leave, i'm not that lucky. somehow everybody i hate always comes back. they've either all got rich dads like the entire florida basketball title team somehow did or just love college and hate money. bradford will come back, tebow will be back, and somehow colt will leave.

the only thing left to look forward to this entire season is the possibility that ou sucks horribly in a big bowl game again and florida humiliates them. and i hate florida so that's not much of a consolation prize.

it's just amazing the benefit of the doubt ou gets with pollsters. they've always gotten the benefit of the doubt over us in the past and now, even after they've been embarrassed in big bowl game after big bowl game and lost 3 of 4 to us and lost this season, they're still giving bob stoops the benefit of the doubt like he's a god. it sucks.

2. Major

Major Member

:confused: That's the system. Any time there are multiple one-loss teams and only 2 spots in a title game, you blew your shot when you lost. You might still get in, but you're relying on some luck and outside help. Here, OU had and Texas didn't. USC blew it too. If Alabama loses to Florida, they will have blown it as well. Tech blew it losing to OU. Penn State blew it losing to Iowa.

The argument for OU:

More dominant in their other 11 games
    Only team to have a dominant road win (vs. OSU)
    Better loss (vs #3 Texas as opposed to #7 Tech)

The argument for Texas:

Beat OU head-to-head

Both have valid arguments. Voters are given the freedom to vote on whatever they want - head-to-head, style points, eyeball test, schedule, whatever. There's no requirement that voters look at H2H over everything else (and if voters should look at H2H and not style points, Tech should be in the mix). The Big 12 gave the voters the right to decide who goes with this silly tiebreaker.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Their wins were more convincing except for the double digit loss to the less-better team on a neutral field.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4/5 starters are seniors, with the exception of the RT, who is a junior (backed by a senior).

Of his top 3 receiving targets, Iglesias and Manny Johnson will definitely be gone. Meanwhile, Gresham seems like an NFL first-round pick to me, so he'll probably be gone too.

His RBs will be back (though also eligible to declare -- Murray may think about it), but losing your protection and your favorite targets doesn't seem like a recipe for keeping a quarterback.

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Damn, y'all sure invest a lot of emoton in a system y'all knew was f--ked up from the start.

I mean, I root for OU, but if we get screwed by the BCS or NCAA rules, I just have to shrug and say "oh well, I knew what I was getting into." Since everyone only really cares about the system when their team's being adversely affected, I know there's never going to be enough overall fan support to affect real change (the hypocritical reactions of UT and OU fans alike right now is sickening). It is what it is.

Now refs, on the other hand...

6. RedRaiderRocket

Because it was a late season loss, which is why Tech dropped so far when we got our @$$ kicked in OU. I wont do the head the head settlement cause it is still 3 teams with a 3 way tie. I could say Texas Tech still desserves to be ahead of Texas since we beat Texas head to head and dominated a team Texas survived at home. Reason why I would put OU ahead of Texas is based on results from the same opponents, OU vs Tech OU won by 44 Texas lost by 6. OU vs OSU, OU won by 20 Texas won by 4. Maybe I am sucker for style points but my guess I am not the only one. Texas has their arguments, OU has theirs. Should be an exciting 24 hours.

7. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I know it's all been said before. Being a UT fan I obviously feel like we are getting screwed. I think that if it was any other team aside from OU then it wouldn't be as bad but I can't stand stoops and his not politicking politicking. It is what it is. What can you do?

8. francis 4 prez

how has ou been more dominant in their other 11 games or how do they have the better loss? #3 on a neutral field by 10 vs #7 on the road at the last second. our loss is at least as good and would seemingly be better given the closeness and the road aspect. a small difference in the rankings certainly doesn't just erase the other factors.

9. francis 4 prez

it's easier to be calm when the system always favors you and you're not going to be the one that gets screwed.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

So does Texas end up in the Big XII title game now?

11. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

RedRaiderRocket, it's one of those things where if your team gets the benefit of the doubt than the system is great and if not than it sucks. :) I personally think would love to see anyone beside OU make it.

12. Major

Major Member

Everyone is saying Tech shouldn't be in the mix because they are clearly inferior to Texas/OU that barely beat Baylor. If that's the case, then Texas lost to a clearly inferior team. Thus, OU has the better loss. If Tech IS as good as the others, they should be in the 3-way tie discussion as an equal to Texas and OU.

As for OU being more dominant in their other 11 games, look at scoring margins. Besides today, they've had 20-30pt 1st quarter leads in each of their past 5 games - Texas hasn't done anything like that. That's mostly a function of the methodical Texas offense vs explosive OU offense, but that's part of being impressive. Against the two mutual top opponents (OSU, Tech), they were better. Etc.

13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Buahahahaha

Yeah man. You look at it a million different ways. There's no true right answer.

14. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I've been arguing against this idiotic system for forever. I take no joy in a Big 12 tiebreaker being decided by BCS standings or polls. It's utterly ridiculous.

The system needs to be overhauled, but people only give a damn when it's their team getting screwed.

15. Major

Major Member

At the end of the day, this is probably going to play out the way it always has. Early losses are better than late losses. OU lost in early October, Texas in early November, Tech in late November. And that's going to be the order of the rankings. Historically, that's how the polls have always worked.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed.

Go Mizzou !

DD

17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I agree. Give me a playoff. The top 8 rated bcs teams should make it with a guaranteed spot for the highest rated undefeated non-major conference team if there is one.

18. francis 4 prez

let them be in the 3-way tie. they played 2 1-AA teams and barely beat nebraska and baylor. they're obviously one of the better teams in the nation and are 11-1, but they don't have a leg to stand on when comparing themselves to texas and ou.

19. RedRaiderRocket

Last time I checked we beat Texas to be forced in a 3 way tie. I believe if Tech was given the same out of conference opponents Tech would have the same record as Texas. My biased opinion I still think Tech is better than Texas based on the head to head outcome. But I don't think Tech should be ranked higher than Texas based on outcomes. Oh well Tech had their and chance we blew it.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hmm, so am I the only one that thinks Stoops running up the score like that will actually cost OU a few votes from those voters that watched the game, particularly coaches?