1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football 2005 Flashback: #9 Notre Dame vs. #1 USC Trojans

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ObamaFan, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Is this the most underrated college football game of all-time. I remmeber ESPN hyping this game up, and i kept telling myself( their is no way ND will stay within 10 points of USC). Both teams played their tails off

The video below is unbelivable, also the commentators Pat Haden, and Tom Hammon were terrific all game.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7b7fkj_3cuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also watching the highlights, i have to ask wth happened to Jeff Samardzija( this guy could have been special in the NFL, last i heard he choose baseball.. smh). Look at this guy at the 2:16 mark of this vid, and tell me this guy couldnt be a beast for the Texans

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Jeff has made about $9 million over the last 3 years while not getting his head beat on like a drum.

He had a pretty good season last year for the Cubs and earned a spot in the starting rotation this season. Seems like no one is playing well for the Cubs this season, though.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Love it!

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I remember that game clearly. That was one of my favorite all-time years for college football. That was the 2nd best game of the year. I really thought Weis was the real deal.

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I was a High School Football official in San Diego that year and one of our association members was doing this game in his first year as a Pac-10 official. He got so much crap the rest of the year because of the no call on Reggie Bush illegally shoving the QB into the end zone ... lol

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wow, that's crazy. Nobody would have called that though.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

You are right about that ... I'm not sure if I've ever seen that called

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The fluky thing about that ending was the technicality Leinart used to keep the game alive. When he scrambled left on the 1st and goal with 15 seconds left... I'm fairly certain he extended/dropped the ball on purpose. The logic being that he wasn't out of bounds and USC had no timeouts left, so he had to either score a TD or have something wacky happen on a "fumble" (such as it popping out of bounds).

I'm not blaming the officials, because the rule is what it is. But to me, it's a loophole that needs to be addressed - much the same way that a penalty in that situation would result in a 10-second runoff.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

With what we know know now and its either baseball or football as your 2 options, you'd be almost foolish to not go the baseball route.

I wonder if Ricky Williams was better in baseball while at UT, if he'da gone that route professionally instead of football lol.

I was a Leinart & Bush believer after ND game, even if that was a flukey win. I thought Maurice Jones-Drew that year was the "same thing" as Reggie Bush, but in the UCLA/USC game, Bush absolutely dazzled and made MJD look regular in comparison.

That was a very good football year. College BCS got a "EWBTE" meme face for that season.