1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] #1 America's Team vs #7 Boone Pickens Toy Train Set

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by percicles, Oct 22, 2008.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If you kick the FG you run the risk of a block/return.

If you squib it, you give them the ball with a highly potent offense with a short field, and then they only have to go 60 yards in 35 seconds to tie the game.

2. RedRaiderRocket

Going for it was the only option. All Texas needed was 1 yard. If Texas gets the 1 yard with a 81% passer the game is over. If Texas defense could not hold a team from getting 99 yards with no timeouts they would desserve to lose. Like the guy said Texas was getting picked apart on special teams for the most part. You can never count on overtime, even college.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I just always take the points....we just have different philosophies I guess.

DD

4. junglerules

junglerules Member

I agree that going for it was the right call. I would've preferred a run, but props to OSU for somewhat anticipating a play action roll out by McCoy. They weren't caught off guard one bit.

Props, in general, to your team, jasonemilio. They came to play. Don't know that I underrated them, but I certainly was curious to know if they were for real, and I came away extremely impressed. They are an awesome balance of offense, and that D seems to be gelling at the right time. I do think the better team one, but it's easy to see how crucial special teams and turnovers are in games. If Hunter doesn't fumble, or Colt doesn't fumble in the red zone,who knows how the game turns out?

I like how UT took Bryant out of the game, for the most part. Remember, this was with Chykie Brown out, too, who has been UT's best corner this season, imo. However, the OSU O-line was very good, and people who thought "Pettigrew only has 11 catches" were severely underestimating his impact on the game. What a great weapon! With Irby out, I'd take a great TE on the Horns team anyday! (Can we trade for Gresham, Pettigrew or Coffman?? OR can we bring Jermichael back??)

The Cat- I don't think Mizzou sucks. If anything, I think this game proves that the loss to Mizzou was no fluke. Y'all lost to a VERY good team, and Texas had its struggles with that same team. Mizzou is much better than it looked against Texas, too. It just didn't match that opening intensity, and by the time they got over the shell-shock, it was too late to come back. The Tigers will get a shot at a very good Big 12 South team in the Big 12 title game. Who knows what will happen then.

Overall, you gotta win games like this sometimes to keep advancing. IT was a struggle, but I'll take the W. After all, it came against a top 10 team, essentially the third of 4 straight top ten teams. IF nothing else, that's something to take pride in....

5. AGBee

AGBee Member

Going for it was the absolute right choice. As somebody that was rooting for an upset, I was hoping that Texas would kick the field goal. OSU still made it interesting in the end.

6. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I was BEGGING for UT to kick the field goal. It would've alteast give us a lot more time, not to mention there's the possibility of a block too. Mac Brown, unfortunately, is no dumbie.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Yep, the FG would have been foolish under those circumstances. If you make them take it from scrimmage at the 1 yard line, you virtually eliminate the possibility of a fluke play ruining your game (and season). I woulda brought the jumbo package in and run the ball again, probably, but the pass wasn't a terrible idea, given that Colt clearly had instructions to throw incomplete if necessary rather than risk a returned INT.

Anyway, awesome game. Well played by the Cowboys, who are clearly a more balanced team than some in the Big XII.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Well, it was the right call I guess because it worked.....

:D

Anyone else think that Johnson got in on 3rd down?

DD

9. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

No offense, but we were THE most balanced team in the nation last year.

250 yards passing/game

250 yards running/game

10. junglerules

junglerules Member

From what I've read about the 4th and inches call, it sounds like Chris Ogbonnaya was supposed to come open on the play, but he or the play in general went the wrong way. Poor execution. Still the right call, though, imo.

DD- never got a good look at that third down play. They either called forward progress, or just never reviewed it for some reason. From watching on TV, I actually thought that it looked like CJ fumbled forward and it was recovered, at first. After replays, it looked like that wasn't the case.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Nope, The replays showed his knee was down at the 2 yard line even with the push. Going for it on fourth was a great call by Mack and his staff. No way do we risk kicking a field goal and getting it blocked, or even kicking for a return as their special teams owned us. I'd rather them try to score 99 yards with no timeouts left than another kickoff run to the 50 to give them a short yard to score on.

BTW- The third down play to Shipley in the red zone late in the fourth was a friggin' perfect call to get the important first down! His route running is spectacular, and I only wish he was a junior. This kid is the real deal!

12. SamCassell

No offense taken, but I was referring to THIS year, not LAST year. Plus, I was referring to a balance between offense / defense / special teams, not just rushing / passing. Also, your offense didn't appear so balanced. Rushed 37 times, passed 27, despite trailing all game. Which made sense, because your QB didn't seem that special, while your RBs were very impressive. There is no bonus for a "balanced offense" anyway - just put up points whatever way you can.

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Off-topic: It's great to see JoePa put overrated Ohio State out of its misery. Good riddance. Maybe we'll actually get a competitive NC game this year now.

... Now, if only Arizona would knock out USC...

14. SamCassell

Interesting, didn't realize that. It woulda been cool if it worked. Just academic at this point anyway, since we won. :)

Only thing scary about the pass was the chance of an INT runback. A run inside, worst case scenario is a fumble which is picked up by some lumbering interior lineman or maybe a linebacker. An INT would end up in the hands of a speedy corner or safety.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

His knee was down? I just watched it again on DVR....he was bent backwards, but then broke free and lunged for the end zone......I don't see his knee down, in fact he is on top of an OKSU player...

DD

16. RedRaiderRocket

I didn't think he was in till the replay. I thought he reached across and got it, unless the blew the play dead early.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I came away from it more amazed at how bad Penn State is, as opposed to Ohio State. We already knew Ohio State sucked. What I didn't expect was Penn State to have 3 points in the fourth quarter, and only win the game on a fumble from a true freshman. I was somewhat optimistic, based on margin of victory and a few other factors, that Penn State might be the exception to the rule of Big 10 frauds. Tonight, their offense looked every bit as slow, stagnant and horrid as the one across the field.

I was cheering for Ohio State to win, because in that scenario, the Big 10 would probably be locked out of the national title game. Now, with Penn State's most challenging games at Iowa and home against Michigan State, they're close to locked in... and the rest of the nation will get to watch the Big 12/SEC champ pummel Penn State by 30+ points.

Bad, bad day as far as the MNC is concerned. It's a good day for Texas or whoever gets there, but in terms of putting up an entertaining game, I have zero faith in Penn State's ability to do that.

18. RedRaiderRocket

I felt the same way man, I am sick of seeing a crap big 10 team in the national championship get destroyed. Thats why college needs playoffs, big 10 should also join the rest of college football and have a championship game at the end of the year.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

By the way, and this is slightly off-topic, but it always amazes me when a football team kicks a field goal on the 1 or 2. Texas absolutely made the right call. First of all, the odds are usually about 75/25, if not higher, that you'll score a TD, especially if you're a good team.

But even if you don't, you leave the other team on its own 1, as opposed to the 30 or whatever the average spot is after a kickoff (even worse when you have bad KO coverage like Texas). That means they have to go 70+ yards just to get in FG range themselves. And if you trust your defense, and can force a 3 and out (it's actually easier, because many times, offenses will throw away a play on their own 1 on a QB sneak), you'll get the ball on the opposition's 40. You'll basically be five yards away from the very field goal you just sacrificed, and that's at a minimum!

From a risk/reward standpoint, it really shouldn't be difficult. The odds are in your favor to score a TD. And even if you don't, you're talking about a net gain of around 35 yards on where the opposing offense starts its drive, so it's not like you come out empty-handed. If OSU starts on the 35, who knows -- they might be inside the 20 when they attempt that final play.

20. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Btw, despite how I might have felt about some of you UT fans here initially, the UT fans hanging around this past week in the OSU forums have nothing but CLASS. Apparently the crowd was chanting to us to beat UO :D

I still can't get over how great of a game that was.