1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Powell to Endorse Obama?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Oct 17, 2008.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan gained a lot from this story as well. I hope that and more tolerance for all Muslims is what really wins from today.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one cares abouts Harry Belafonte, he's irrelevant to society. Same with Madonna with her fake English accent.

Whatever side people are one, Democrat or Republican, I believe becoming a GENERAL is harder than being a stupid celebrity with no real solutions to any problems.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Harry Belafonte !? :D

Undecided voters are running to Obama.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

dude i have to defend madonna a little here.

I spent almost a month in scotland and when i first got there in glasgow I could not understand wtf they were saying. after a few nights in a bar i could understand.

after a few more nights and several drinks of Glenlivet i was talking like them and could not help it.

I am sure if I spent several months there it would have stuck for a while.

5. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

I agree with you on Belafonte and others you mentioned being irrelevant, but that doesn't hide the fact of people echoing the same sentiments as these crazy people.

I have the utmost respect for Colin Powell and his accomplishments. It is a shame that his reputation was tarnished during the GWB administration. However, it's good to see that history will prove otherwise.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

History will prove Powell didn't bs the UN?

I don't think so. Powell's image and reputation was deservedly tarnished by the Bush administration. He made a huge mistake not taking a stronger stand against them. That doesn't detract from other good things he's done or will do either. But it will tarnish his reputation.

7. Ismail

Ismail Member

Some of you guys ought to watch Bush's War.

I think this aired April of last year, there's a good segment of it devoted to how Powell was manipulated into believing many things. The rest of it is probably not relevant to this thread, but the parts about Powell and the war are. When I saw it for the first time, my opinion of Powell changed.

8. Ismail

Ismail Member

For my above post, The Drumbeats of War in part 10 (it's the 10th chapter) is a good clip.

9. Ismail

Ismail Member

Chapter 10 of Part ONE*, my apologies.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I remember when Bush Sr. said Reagan's economic plan was VOODOO Economics
    Yet he was the VP for 8 yrs

Its politics

Rocket River

11. ROCKET RICH NYC

History will prove that it was Cheney, Rumsfeld, Tenet, that were the bad ones. I think Powell made as strong as a stand as he could at the time. If it wasn't for Powell, we might've gotten into the war earlier. Powell was the one that told Bush to go to the UN first with another resolution going against Cheney and the Neo-cons.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I read Colin Powell's autobiography years ago, and there was a part of it that kept coming back to me. He wrote in it about why he considered himself a Republican. Powell is generally not a conservative, and would find himself politically aligned a lot closer with Harold Ford than J.C. Watts. He's a slightly left-of-center moderate, but he said that he was always treated better by Republicans in Washington. He said that between the racist Democrats and the anti-military Democrats, there were always 100 or so elected Democrats in Washington that he felt like hated him or at least disrespected him. He said that while he sometimes felt that white Republicans didn't appreciate the difficulty he had as a black man in the military, he always felt like he was treated as an equal.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Then what's the problem with Powell endorsing Obama?

Or am I missing your point?

14. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Why did Colin Powell never decide to run for president? He would have beaten anyone... including Obama.

He would have been the first black president.

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Right? And seeing as how no one cares about past associations anymore, I'm sure he would have survived the vetting process. He couldn't have had more skeletons in his closet than our current superhero.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

He said he didn't want to put his family through the scrutiny. When he briefly considered it in the nineties, his wife got racist hate mail from anti-war activists.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

On top of that's a freaking traitor to this country. I'm not going to dis her music cause of some is good, but she needs to shut the F@#K up. She does this crap not because she really cares, she ain't Bono, she does this to get attention and pretend she's still relevant in society.
    when Angelina Jolie decided to adopt every poor kid in the world,Madonna copied her just to make headlines.
    Angelina did that cause she really cares, she's a UN Ambassador going to all these poor countries and Iraq. That's respectable stuff.
    Dissing John McCain at a concert? what was that for? she thinks she's the Dixie Chicks?
    Maddona has no originality anymore.

Good for Guy Richie, he's free to find a girl without a fake accent.

18. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

You wanna know who is not invited to Madonna's show? tin-freakin'-man is not invited to Madonna's show! He's not invited to any of Madonna's shows!

19. tinman

Supporting Member

If I were Obama, I would tell Madonna

" I don't need your endorsement you old fake accent attention w****,
    you ain't Kylie or Beyonce.. Hell you aint even Whitney Houston!!"

20. ROCKET RICH NYC

I don't have a problem with Powell endorsing Obama. I just think this helps Powell more than Obama. I never said there was a problem in my first post.