1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ths balla

ths balla Member

Its America so free to do as you please though I personally do not agree with his sentiments. But to say those of color have been oppressed in the US for years yet just NOW he decides not to stand at anthem is where I find fault in his "cause."

1 person likes this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

People don't have a "cause" until they do.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Kaepernick has definitely opened my eyes. I'm one of those people that get chills listening to the Anthem. I don't think I will ever hear it the same way again.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

The only problem I have with this story is that it will be blamed if he is cut.

The truth is the 49ers wanted to trade him but didn't get a good offer, he lost his starting job to Blaine freaking Gabbert and the 9ers have a project QB they want to keep in Driskel.

Kap getting cut will be because he doesn't get along with management, has a "dead arm" and hasn't connected with this offense allegedly in camp.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think his salary is guaranteed for next year. To me it would seem he is getting cut for this reason even if they are saying they are not. Blaine Gabbert has never shown anything his entire career.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post there Comet.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's exactly why he did it, so people like you would think that he got cut due to making a really stupid political statement in support of an illegitimate cause rather than getting cut for sucking at football. The Niners save 10 million dollars next year by cutting him and he's not even good enough to beat out Blaine Gabbert.

1 person likes this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Only guaranteed for this year.

Two weeks ago there were stories talking about whether Kap might get cut so the 49ers didn't have to give up Driskel.

Prior to this story breaking last week Kap made the comment about not having a good relationship with the GM.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Colin Kaepernick's national-anthem protest sparks Eagles rookie LB Myke Tavarres to do same this week <a href="https://t.co/C001QPJrmk">https://t.co/C001QPJrmk</a></p>&mdash; Cam Inman (@CamInman) <a href="https://twitter.com/CamInman/status/770332971194650625">August 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mike Tavarres, an undrafted rookie linebacker with the Philadelphia Eagles, said Monday he plans on following Kaepernick’s lead and sitting during Thursday’s exhibition finale in Philadelphia against the New York Jets.

“In this situation, I’ve really got nothing to lose,” Tavarres told ESPN. “I’m a rookie free agent, haven’t signed any major contract, so there’s not a lot of money on the line, I don’t have any big endorsement deals on the line.

“Really what’s at stake is my pride and what kind of man would I be and what kind of African-American would I be if I didn’t stand my ground on this issue we have today? (It) needs to be done.”

Tavarres survived the Eagles first round of cuts, but this could be his final national anthem with the Eagles if he doesn’t make the opening-day roster.

“We’ve got an issue in this country in this day and age, and I feel like somebody needs to step up and we all need to step up,” Tavarres said. “We’ve got that right. There’s just a lot going on that people don’t want to talk about, and I feel like us as athletes, we’re looked at as role models.

“And I feel like with Colin Kaepernick, he’s doing a great job for standing up in what he believes in, and most people may not like that, but that’s his opinion, he’s entitled to it, and I respect him for doing it.”

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think people responding to Rockets Legend might be a bit slow themselves, lol. It's clear its a fake account, probably from a bitter republican but still none the less. My guess is its Bobbythegreat.

11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I've noticed more and more anti-American sentiment in the last 8 years. I just hope we elect a president that loves this country instead of one that wants us to change to other countries.

12. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

You're an idiot and so it Bobbythegreat

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You never know whats on someone's mind and what their breaking point is until they tell you.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So I was correct then :grin:

15. juicystream

juicystream Member

Always knew there was a 2nd, but never 4.

Welcome to history everywhere. There is always a desire to make ourselves look better and our enemies look worse.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Here's why his actions mean little to nothing to me. When I stand, remove my cap, and put my hand over my heart during the National Anthem, I'm either staring at the flag, the singer, or the ground. Whatever else anyone does during that period is no concern of mine. Unless they're talking or something like that, which is distracting. Maybe, instead of some being concerned about what others do during the National Anthem, we focus on ourselves.

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

On a scale of 1 to care, I don't.

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

A great example of conservative accountability. Rather than place the blame on those actually doing the thing, let's put blame on the President.

Way to move responsibility away from where it belongs, hypocrite.

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

I don't understand how someone with a brain that would make a pea chuckle can actually type complete sentences.