1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Aug 27, 2016.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How does he deserve to be treated?

2. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Like the golden God that he is

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Maybe he knows the stats that you obviously don't know.

[​IMG]

4. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

What does white people making more money on average have to do with how black people are treated in America?

Maybe they are more poor on average because over half of them are born without fathers and grow up in ****holes and they keep voting for democrats whose policies perpetuate their problems

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you understand how studies work? There are studies that prove that blacks are treated differently in negative ways than whites. It is a matter of record. You can examine the studies.

You've already shown how your method of examine the issue was. It isn't accurate, or in depth in any way.

Either you are ignorant of how to look deeply at the issue, or you are unwilling to to do that. Either way it doesn't matter. But citing a few random anecdotal success stories which is your evidence on how there is no discrimination, doesn't really cut the mustard.

So until you change how you look at evidence and examine the issue, you aren't really qualified to comment on it, or judge how any other person looks at it.

It's fine to come to the conclusion that there isn't prejudice against blacks, but it would have to be done with actual relevant evidence.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Maybe you're just ignorant and don't understand the historical American correlation between race and income, education, incarceration rates? Maybe.

Where are all those fathers anyway? It's total complete mystery why there have always been more black single parent households than white, well, since those blacks were freed from slavery anyway. A complete mystery. Maybe you can explain it. Rap music?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The results of food stamp slavery.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you think people are dying for the flag then you're thinking wrong. If you think people are honoring the flag you're thinking wrong. The flag is a symbol representing the USA or representing the men and women who fought for our country and those who died for it.

Kapernick can choose to protest however he wants, but he also must be prepared to face the consequences. I know absolutely nothing about his finances, but he could probably better protest by sinking some of the millions he earns into some inner city youth programs.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

That chart makes it look like San Francisco needs more H1B visas.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Cool...so besides not standing what else has he done? I honestly don't know.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I just kinda hate how every symbolic protest of American policies is an automatic insult to us thin skinned veterans. People can protest using the flag or not standing up for the anthem and not consciously think "I hate our veterans". Should I be offended or irked? I dunno? I mean, I literally shed blood for the country, but it doesn't bother me.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You're certainly entitled to feel the way you do. Personally, I prefer to show respect for those who have committed part of their life (and in many cases their entire lives) in order to help protect my way of life.

As I wrote, Kaepernick can protest however he chooses to. But I think he can do more to get his point across in a way other than sitting down during the National anthem while participating in the game in which he has made millions of dollars (currently 61 million guaranteed) from this country.

13. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...ick-details-childhood-racial-struggle-2015810

Kaepernick, 27, the biological child of a white woman and a black man, told the mag that he knew he was different from his parents, Rick and Teresa Kaepernick, a white cheese-making couple from Wisconsin, even before he could speak.

"I knew I was different to my parents and my older brother and sister," the San Francisco 49ers quarterback shared. "I never felt that I was supposed to be white. Or black, either. My parents just wanted to let me be who I needed to be."

However, the world still saw the future standout athlete by the color of his skin. "We used to go on these summer driving vacations and stay at motels," he recalled. "And every year, in the lobby of every motel, the same thing always happened, and it only got worse as I got older and taller. It didn’t matter how close I stood to my family, somebody would walk up to me, a real nervous manager, and say: ‘Excuse me. Is there something I can help you with?'"

Despite his personal dilemma, the one-time pro baseball hopeful credited his father for instilling strong values in him from childhood. "My dad, being a businessman, constantly talked to me about carrying myself in a certain way and treating people with respect," Kaepernick explained. "And I think that’s something that’s carried over throughout my life. It’s how I deal with certain situations."

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Geez , I guess I just didn't realize how rough this guys has had it in the USA.

15. Buck Turgidson

Growing up middle class in Central California can be rough.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a good point you bring up and I think we have to distinguish carefully the difference between our symbols and what they symbolize.

How much patriotism is there in shows of patriotism, like standing for the national anthem or the flags, that really have little meaning or in this case are essentially forced on as a social norm. If Kaepernick is expected to stand or else face heavy social criticism and even threats is that really patriotic?

17. Buck Turgidson

When's the last time you saw a politician on tv without a flag lapel pin?

18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I can't believe people wanted the Texans to trade for this piece of ****

19. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Hey leave Bobbythegoof out of this!

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a hell of a chart.

Truth hurts.