1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coldplay

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

New favourite band. I cant get their CD's out of my changer. The only other band that can touch that is U2 for me personally. Their music never gets old to me. They are constantly compared to Radiohead, but I dont buy it. They sound totally different, and I dont think they would go electronic and abandon their core sound. Of course I could be dead wrong.

I got to see them about a 2 years ago at the Backyard here in Austin. Incredible.

Also, lead singer gets to bed Gweneth Paltrow...... b*stard.:mad:

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I admit, I haven't heard their new album, although I've like the two songs I've heard. I just didn't take away very much from their first album other than they sound almost identical to many other British bands like Travis.

I thought <i>Parachutes</i> had a few catchy tunes, but I didn't think it was great enough to understand the almost cult-like following the group has. I've been procrastinating for about a year, so I'll maybe I'll finally go ahead and buy <i> Rush of Blood...</i> I'm just hoping it's quite a bit different than <i>Parachutes</i> or I'll probably be wishing I hadn't bought it.

#2 DCkid, Jun 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2003
  3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yeah... they're a great band. it's hard trying to figure out which album is better.

anyway, i have this slightly different version of "don't panic" in mp3 format if you want me to email it to your later this evening (don't have it here at work). i think it's better than the album version.

did you hear what liam gallagher called paltrow? funny stuff :D

here it is:

i'm like a bird...

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Being the musical snob I am, I held off for a long time thinking they were just a Radiohead clone. I finally broke down and bought Parachutes. I liked it so much I bought Rush of Blood the next week. I guess I can kind of see the Radiohead comparison but I think they sound more like an Unforgettable Fire era U2. This is a good thing...

I like them but I'm not as obsessed with them as some other people. Pretty good band.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I have both releases... excellent stuff.

Anyone seen the video for Clocks? Wild stuff.

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Heh, was that really Liam Gallagher who said that? I'm skeptical, because it actually made sense.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I saw the video for The Scientist yesterday. Pretty cool, the whole thing is in backwards motion, yet the singer is singing the words. They must have played the song backwards and made him sing it that way for it to work.

The concept kind of reminded me of the Just video from Radiohead... ;)

8. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Sweet! Yeah email it to: akmiller50@yahoo.com

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

"A Rush of Blood to the Head" has stayed in my car for the last 3 weeks or so. Definitely one of the greatest albums I have ever listened to.

That is the trendy thing to do these days is to compare them to Radiohead. The only thing that these two bands have in common are that they are both from Britain and they write their own stuff (okay, sue me, that is more than one!).

To me, Radiohead is always pushing the envelop and constantly changing their sound from guitar-based rock to concept to electronic to a mixture of these sounds.

Coldplay is just straight-forward rock with sweeping orchestral arrangements from time to time.

If you have listened to these 2 bands as much as I have, you will hear a difference... trust me .

10. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I love ColdPlay, but most of their songs are a bit mellow. If it's raining outside and you just broke up with your girlfriend, and Coldplay is on = not good. That said, "Yellow" and "In my Place" are excellent tunes.

11. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

Yes I am on the Coldplay bandwagon as well. Saw them at the Erwin Center in January...and would drop top dollar to do it again. Heck, I bought my first band shirt (who woulda thunk it) from them.

Top 10 Coldplay Songs:
    1. In My Place
    2. Trouble
    3. Shiver
    4. Yellow
    5. Amsterdam
    6. A Rush of Blood To The Head
    7. Clocks
    8. The Scientist
    9. Spies
    10. Politik

Also, there is a sweet acoustic version of "In My Place" on Kazaa that y'all HAVE to get.

12. deepellumrocket

I thought the first album was pretty dry once you got past "Yellow", but I think Rush of Blood... is terrific. Plus, "Clocks" is probably the best single being played on radio today.

Another cool thing they've done is take Eisley on tour with them. They're a young band from Tyler comprised of three sisters, their brother and a neighbor friend ranging in ages from 14-21. They've been getting huge buzz in Dallas and after they opened for Coldplay here over the winter, Coldplay asked them to tour with them.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I never thought that Paltrow chick was all that great looking. But I do like Coldplay.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i've had the new coldplay album in my car too long to remember. haven't listened to it in a couple weeks but definitely my favorite cd of the last year or two. i went backwards and bought parachutes after this one but other than trouble and shiver i don't really enjoy it. way, way too mellow for me.

liam makes a pretty good point, looks like he stayed off the alcohol for an hour or two.

15. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I love Mint Royale, btw.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I feel the exact same way as Drewdog. I practically listen to them everyday now. The only band that I listened to that much before Coldplay was U2, my favorite band of all time.

17. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

betta' check yo mail be4 ya wreck yo mail. :cool:

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

like Radiohead, like Coldplay more still love Parachutes the most, but both are behind Gomez for me.

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more, Drew. I'm just now getting into these guys. They really are one of the best bands out there. I finally got their first album 2 weeks ago and it is in constant rotation in my truck. I think I might go get their latest release when I get paid this week.

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

hook a brotha up!

tattooedgroove@yahoo.com