1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coaching and comfort foods

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 31, 2010.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I'm actually even ok with him being in the game for defensive purposes but I always see him hold the ball and when he has no one to make an easy pass to, he thinks about driving in to get a layup at which point he gets called for a travel or loses the ball.

2. zilches

zilches Member

Bleh! with all this. It is not like we are 2-17 already. We have a lot of talent, and it just takes a little time for Coach and the team to figure out what works.

What is up with all of the impatience?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I can't answer for anyone else, but in the Western conference, every game counts...getting behind early will screw any chance the team has once it comes together.

DD

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yup. 2 games in the Conference standings could mean the 5th seed vs the 9th playoff time.

5. albuster

albuster Member

This. I totally agree. DD may have some valid points too but, if it were up to me, which obviously is not, I would wait for another maybe ten or so games and see how Adelman makes his adjustments and let it all play out.

Dave is right about he main culprits though and that is where I hope Adelman makes adjustments asap.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Last year, everyone knew their role. This year, its almost McGradish in that everyone is trying hard, perhaps too hard, to change their game to get Yao touches and defer to him.

7. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

I believe those are called 'intangibles.'

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Actually we HAVE seen both of them play. We saw Hill play half of last season, and we saw both of them play in summer leagues and the preseason games, and both of them weren't exactly Kwame Brown on the court.

This isn't the Greek Tmac situation in JVG or the Francis scenario where the fans just want to see some random inferior player to see PT. Hill and PP are lottery big men, and they have shown flashes of potential all preseason long in a position we sorely lack. Hayes and JJ aren't getting the job done. Isn't it common sense to try these guys out first before closing the book on them? JVG at least played V-span, even if it was out of position. Hell even Darko Milicic got 7 mins of PT by his 3rd game, and that Pistons team was way more stacked as ours.

Whoever heard of a team DNP-CDing their lottery big man the first 3 games of the season? Has it even been done before? Its just so idiotic I think it must be some kind of record. 4 mins of PT for your two lottery big men in 3 games. The kicker is we're actually in a 0-3 hole. Honestly I don't even know why you're defending him.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why shouldn't I defend him? He knows more about his players than you do, and that's a fact.

We knew what the roster looked like going into this season. We knew what the depth chart would look like. Did anyone who actually had a friggin' clue think that Patrick Patterson was going to be in the rotation to start this season? As for Jordan Hill, the guy was behind Chuck on the center depth chart last year. Chuck started 82 games last year. Why should we expect Hill to leapfrog him to start this season, when Hayes has outplayed him in training camp? Does Hill get an automatic promotion because of "potential" or because he shows "flashes" in preseason? No, he doesn't.

Adelman plays the people who he believes gives him the best chance to win, and that's fine by me. Losing a few close games doesn't prove anything, so I'm not going to presume to know what this team needs more than the head coach when we're barely into the season.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well I guess I don't have a friggin' clue then, because I thought it was natural to give your lottery picks at the very least a chance to see what they're capable of on the court. I guess I'm a moron because I didn't know it was a given the guy your team rated as the 6th best talent would be getting 0 PT on the court.

No Hill doesn't deserve regular PT, but I think he deserves a chance to put his tools to use on the court. Both of them deserve a look. 4 mins in 3 games for the 8th pick sophomore and the 14th pick rookie combined.

Just because he's the head coach doesn't mean he's correct 100% of the time. Just because he's one of the best coaching minds in the game doesn't mean we all need to shut up at every instance and that he knows best every single damn time.

RA was wrong when he benched Gerald Wallace. RA was wrong when he benched Deke for half a season and only played him when Yao went down. RA was wrong when he didn't want to start Brooks over Reefer and it took DM shipping Reefer's ass out to finally start Brooks. RA's only human, he makes mistakes like the rest of us.

The irony is we needed defense and rebounding the past few games. Hill and PP could have provided that in a way Hayes and JJ couldn't. They might have bombed, but at least we could have taken something from the losses. Now we signed Dampier and have to let go of JT, when the reality is it might not have been needed if we only played the guys we have.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Hayes and Battier are situational veteran defenders, like Lindsey Hunter was for the Pistons. Miller is more like a beyond twilight Robert Horey.

Jordan Hill is not a factor in the rotation. Scola, Jeffries, Yao should get the most frontcourt minutes, followed by Hayes and Miller. Hill is at the bottom, for now.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

As I was saying, Adelman sometimes plays guys that he is comfortable with over players that are younger and probably a better matchup against better athletes.

Tonight Hayes instead of Jeffries.....or Hill

Shane instead of CBud....

Lowry instead of Ish.

Sometimes the GM has to force the issue.....

DD

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, yes and yes. I agree 100%...

Step in Daryl...

14. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

I was about to bump this for you earlier, but I just posted it in another thread because of the excess.

15. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

Today isnt a good example of why Shane came in. Bud was useless on offense in the fourth so you might as well bring in Battier.

I agree on the other two.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The only way for CBud to grow is to let him play through tough nights....he shot only 3-10, but we really could use his rebounding, athleticism and shot making in the 4th....

DD

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Agree, same with Hill.

18. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

same can be said about Lowry.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Sure, but I give a little pass on Kyle because he is coming off of injury, I didn't think it was a good move to play him tonight late, because he is just not right yet.

DD

20. worzel gummidge

You can ruin a young players confidence by playing them in a bad situation/s.