1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coaching and comfort foods

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 31, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Isn't it the job of the C to be a rim protector? How do you expect Jordan Hill to be protecting the rim if he's guarding Al Harrington on the perimeter?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you read the thread, I said that Jeffries and Chuck should share the minutes as the situational guy and that Jeffries should have been the guy on Harrington.

DD

3. durvasa

Alright.

I do think people are building up Jordan Hill a bit too much as a defender. Any edge he might provide over Chuck as a weakside shot-blocker could very easily be canceled out with lack of defensive awareness. The most important attribute you look for in a defender is understanding what the team is trying to do defensively. On that score, Chuck beats out Hill by a mile. Hill hasn't shown himself to be an impactful shot-blocker or a guy people "fear". Looking forward, if Adelman needs more of an interior presence against certain teams, he'll go with Yao/Dampier/Miller in the middle before Hill.

If Hill gets playing time over Chuck, it will probably be more for his rebounding and ability to finish around the basket than shot-blocking intimidation.

4. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

DD's right about Chuck as a situational player. He should not be used when we play longer teams like the Lakers, Spurs, or Blazers. His lack of height kills us on the glass. And I won't even mention the offensive side of the ball.

All of this will be fixed once Yao returns to playing meaningful minutes. Our starting five crushed the Lakers when Yao was playing. You could make an argument that our starting five is the most lethal offensive unit in the NBA, with excellent scoring ability at each position except SF (which is why we need Bud to develop his defense). Its a nice luxury to have 5 shooters on the floor at all times, with Yao clogging the lane on defense.

5. flashsky

flashsky Member

Perfect viewpoints.
    AB is another comfort food, Moorwy should trade him as soon.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Doesn't Patterson deserve to play? I mean he can at least play as good as Miller.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

This. Its one thing to say "X can't really help the team more than Y". But in order to make a judgement you need to see the evidence on the floor first. I mean, if PP plays like crap then RA makes the right decision to bench him. But he hasn't even seen 1 second of court play and already he's on the doghouse along with Hill, who actually improved tremendously from summer league to preseason games.

You haven't even seen one second and already they're nailed to the bench in favor of guys whose game you already know inside and out. Why not see what they could do first? What the worst that could happen? We lose the game? :rolleyes:

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

don't know where to put this, so this will do, really like to see Lowry, Martin and Lee on the floor together to get the offense at a fast past but also to improve the D

also if Chuck plays please no more having him run high pnr, comfort or not that is one of the most stupid plays I have ever seen run

i think overall the team is D is way off the level it needs to be, right now if they needed a stop they couldn't get it, nevertheless if they didn't have those couple of scoring droughts including taking too many outside jumpers they probably should have won the lakers and nugs games

9. durvasa

Actually, you have not seen them play. Adelman has seen them play quite a bit in practice. He has a lot more to go off of than we do.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

That may be part of the problem, if he is judging Jordan Hills post play against Chuck Hayes in practice, that is not much to go on, considering Hayes is an elite post defender.

Sometimes coaches forget to consider things like that, not saying Rick is...but you never know.

I am still convinced that Morey needs to get him out of his comfort zone, and force him to play guys that are not as seasoned, but are more talented athletically.

DD

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Yes, Jordan's astonishing .4 bpg will certainly give the team more defensively than one of the top (and most versatile) 5 PF defenders in the game. No doubt, his Predator 'dreds also count for another 3 blocks and 6 intimidation but the score keepers just don't now how to tally those correctly since Jordan's 'dreds aren't technically on the roster.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I know what DD is trying to say and I know what durvasa is saying also. Anyone remember hayes when he first started playing for the rockets? I remember he used to try the karl malone swipe and get fouls called. The next year, he wasn't getting those same foul calls. What I think DD is trying to say is we have seen the very best of what hayes and battier has to offer. Chuck isn't going to get any better and neither is battier because of the limitations physically. In regards to Hill who is still a young guy in terms of playing experience, he can get alot better. His talent would say he could replace scola at some point in the near future. Now thats a gamble, but his talents says he can replace chuck now. I personally don't know what you do about it execept trade shane and chuck which shouldve happen already anyway.They're not the reason the rockets are 0-3.

13. durvasa

Adelman sees that Jordan Hill talent up close pretty regularly. He also sees what kind of player Chuck Hayes is up close -- warts and all. If we're talking about defending the PF position, Hill is not going to help you more than Chuck Hayes. Hill might get you some more stops right at the basket, but there's more to defending opposing forwards than weakside shot-blocking.

Like I said, there are better reasons for Hill to get PT over Hayes. He's probably better at securing rebounds in traffic, and he's a much better shooter/finisher.

But does Hill pick up Carmelo Anthony on a switch and gets two stops in a row? Probably not. Does Hill grab a defensive board and throw a 1-handed outlet pass to half court resulting in a transition dunk? Unlikely. Will Hill forget where he's supposed to be on defense or be slow in reacting to plays? Yeah, probably.

Anyway, if history is any judge Hill will eventually get that PT. He's the younger player, and like you say he should improve. Raw talent will usually win out in the end. Hill needs to just keep working in pracitce and show the coaches that they are making a mistake in not playing him.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Rick seems to value consistency over potential. He has been quoted as saying consistency is Hill's biggest problem right now. If your trying to win now, he has a good argument. If you planning for the future, seeing what potential your players have would seem the better course.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

But there is an easy solution, you put him in, and if he plays hard he keeps getting minutes, if not you yank him for the next guy.

As deep as this roster is...there is very little accountability being displayed.

DD

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It would seem that perhaps accountability IS playing the part. Certainly Rick has seen enough of Hill by now. Isnt possible that Hill hasnt earned many minutes?

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You can't exactly establish a stable rotation if you keep yanking guys out.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I just wish Adelman knew as much about basketball and the Rockets as DaDakota. He might have had more success over the years.

Maybe even a chance at winning more than the 900 games he has already won.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

True....true....

;)

DD

20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Agreed on everything but Miller, Miller hasn't really gotten much playing time. It's usually Chuck out there which I don't understand. I know Chuck isn't the main problem when our offense has been decent, but how many times have you all seen Chuck get the ball, and try to score only to turn it over, get called for Traveling, or miss a point blank layup(or get fouled and miss both free throws?) This in addition to be way too short to gaurd other centers and cause any kind of shot change in the paint.

The Love of playing Chuck Hayes constantly has to stop. He is averaging 23 minutes a game which is way too much for a situational player like him.