1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coaching and comfort foods

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 31, 2010.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

While I agree with what you say, I disagree with the notion that Morey has to tell his coach to not do this or not do that. Usually in any sport when the GM gets involved with coaching decisions things can get messy. You see that way too many times.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Suddenly I am reading that the Blazers are using their stash of talent to try and pry a real stud. Is that not what DM the GM has been doing? Is DM the GM's plan not to overwhelm a team to gain THE player necessary to move this team towards the promised land (or, at least, one victory by Thanksgiving)?

Your overall point is fine, but what is the goal and what are the means to attain it? How much are Coach and GM in synch - - or at odds?

There are some guys I would let go in a deal without too much upset, but those are not the guys who would be in demand in the kind of deal this team needs to be a contendah.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Xiki,

I understand DM is trying to go for broke with a larger named player, but has he considered that most of the bigger names do not want to play in Houston because of Yao's injury history?

They are scared to come here and have the big fella go down and be stuck on a team that can't compete.

So, while we wait for a big name to shake loose.....shrink the rotation, you can still play the younger guys over the older comfortable vets.

Take away Rick's comfort players, force him to play the other guys, it is better for the team.

DD

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does Chuck need to move aside for Jordan Hill? Maybe. But your description of his defense is wrong. Chuck's strength as a defender is his ability to guard multi-dimensional players. Why do you think the Rockets ask him to switch on to wings on key defensive possessions? Now I understand your frustration -- if he was nothing but a low-post defender, as you incorrectly peg him, then he wouldn't and shouldn't be getting the playing time he's getting.

5. yaomingyaoming

Dakota, respectfully, let me say you still have no clue what you're talking about!

As long as we have Yao Ming and a coach like Adelman, this team will have Identity issues. Yao is a half court player, Adelman is not a half court coach.

This team will have maximum success if they implement both systems - a JVG style half court offense that runs through Yao when Yao plays, and a quick tempo run n gun offense when Yao is not in.

The Houston Organization shot itself in the foot by hiring the wrong coach for it's franchise player. I understand why they got rid of JVG but when they hired Adelman, they should have traded Yao & T-Mac for more suitable players that fit his system. I can argue that the root for T-Mac's decline had to do with his dissatisfaction with Adelman in the first place. And Yao's decline is also related to the same root problem: Coach Adelman is not compatible with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady.

Remember when Adelman was first hired? He said he would give T-Mac and Yao easier looks. What he should've said was, I don't believe in "star" players. I will transform Yao and T-Mac into generic clones one can plug n play into my system. T-Mac revolted at that idea and got booted. Yao Ming the good soldier tried but Adelman ran his 7'6 hulking body into the ground. The idiot Adelman had no clue that a 7'6 310lb giant cannot sustain 40 minute games.

Here's the reason why the Houston Rockets is in it's current situation: Rick Adelman. Thanks for hiring Brad Miller. Another genius move!

They should've hired someone who had JVG like sensibilities on defense, but had a more refined understanding on offense. Adelman is not that man.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You have some decent points, but this thread is not about looking back, hindsight is always 20/20...it is about what can the team do in it's current situation to right the ship.

I think forcing Adelman out of his comfort zone is the only way to make this work.

Shrink the rotation, and bench the old grizzled do what they are told guys and go with the young up and comers.

DD

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Durvasa I agree with your assessment of Chucks defense 100%. His strength for this team is being a situational defender and its hell of a luxury to have a weapon like Chuck which most teams don't have (especially in the playoffs). But I would rather see Hill as part of the normal backup 4 rotation while bringing Chuck in for tough defensive assignments against 3-4-5s and the same for Jeffries as well.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

How was his defense on Harrington last night? Chuck struggles when he has to guard someone on the perimeter and when we are on offense players can sag off of Chuck and pack the paint.

I don't think Chuck sucks, I just don't think he should be playing all that much...we need lenght at the rim more than we need a low post defensive beast.

DD

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I agree we need to see Hill out there more.

But let's be honest. Hill wasn't going to stop Harrington on the perimeter last night either.

10. DaJet

DaJet Member

Jeffries could have.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Agreed, Jeffries and Hayes need to switch the situational minutes at the PF spot....based upon the opponents they are playing.

Hill should be the first big off the bench.

DD

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Say what?

So you're judging the guy based on one game? Since we're judging guys by one game how were AB's numbers last night (or this season for that matter?).

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Understandable. I'm not pushing any player over the other. I don't agree that this is an issue of comfortability -- its about trusting the players you put on the court to execute the game plan. Right now, not surprisingly, that trust factor is higher with the vets who performed well in training camp and the preseason. Over the course of a very long season, that can very easily shift. Adelman has shown a willingness since he's been here to give younger players a shot at breaking into the rotation. They just need to continue to work and improve in practice.

People need to show a little more patience. Again, its a VERY long season.

14. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

What makes you say that?

15. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

i agree Adelmans rotation has been pretty horrible, but i believe its because of this whole minute limiting crap. Maybe Rick is making a point out there that he is not liking the higher ups telling him how to manage a certain big man's minutes. He is acting confused on who to put in and how to handle the minutes. Or maybe he really is lost and doesnt know what to do and who to put in, but i highly doubt that since i mean he is AN NBA head coach.

I agree Hill should be the number one big man off the bench no question. Chuck is a great rocket but no way should he see the floor unless its a blow out, he is horrible at free throws and has lost a step on the defensive end. Speaking of losing a step, Shane. Battier is a professional that plays hard every minute on the court, but sometimes you just have to come into an understanding that your best isnt good anymore. Sure Shane can start, but dont leave him out there in crucial situations. He is not your defensive stopper anymore. As for Miller that time off hurt him bad, i would love this rotation....(9 man rotation)

brooks/lowry
    martin/lee
    battier/chase
    scola/hill
    yao/miller/hill

16. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

17. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

You hit a spot there. Although I can agree with Hill playing ovber hayes because guys are just no afraid to drive it to the rim against chuck and miller. With tme we have no, zero shot blocking.

The one has to step up for real - BROOKS. He has been bad on defense and bad shooting the ball. Stop shooting 3s Aaron and guard your position.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

when we are 0-3 and the main focus of your thread is about the 5th starter and Hayes (who will end up with roughly 12mpg this year), it's not a good sign.

btw: if Battier is comfort food, what was Hakeem for Rudy. I'm going with comfort food. Same with Moses. As he once said to Maurice Cheeks during a time out during the Fo Fo Fo playoffs..."There is a rat in the house...feed him some cheese!? haha

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Agreed. This is one of problems. But, I think a bigger problem is that the rockets lack a closer.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

So true.

We need a closer, someone to score for us when no one else is scoring.

McGrady used to be that role. I remember clearly our team used to do the scoring in the first half and McGrady picks up in the second.

We're suffered a horrible scoring drought in the last 3 games.