1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Coaches and GMs Can also be traded?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kyle7758521, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

once at a time, i have been looked a blog from L.Scola.

Below is the content of his blog:
    Blog from L.Scola:
    I spoke with our GM, Daryl Morey, about several topics, but in particular about the item I spoke about in a recent blog I wrote about the argument we had in our locker room about whether a coach could be traded…. He said they can be traded! I was completely surprised by that. I thought it was something silly that someone said that was completely unfounded, but it turns out to be true. Not only is it possible, but he gave me examples of when it has happened. One example of this which was actually pretty important was when Miami traded Stan Van Gundy to Orlando for a couple of draft picks a few years ago.
    Turns out that they can also trade GM’s. The only difference between trading coaches and GM’s from trading players is that the coaches and GM’s can reject a trade if they don’t want to accept the move.
    In summary, for the rest of the season we can all just relax and concentrate on playing and winning, which is the job we’re more comfortable with.

I never know this could happen in Basketball event. have you heard of this before?

2. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

This has definitely been posted before.

3. Pablo Escobar

Pablo Escobar Contributing Member

Good post. I forgot about that. Interesting dynamics going on when you choose to trade your coach. You're inherently trading coaching philosophy because it fits better with the players you have.

4. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

This is really hard to tell if the coaches are fit for what kind of players.
    anyway, I have been watching NBA for 8 years, nothing of this happened before. (8 years is not a long time. :eek: )

You say Ron Artest has once played for RA in SAC, but it didn't work out that good when both of them changed to Houston.

ALso you say K.Martin has once played for RA in SAC, but it didn't work good either for his performence in Houston for the last season.

SO do you think K.Martin is fit for RA's style?

I would like to see this happen in future.

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Technically, I don't believe that you can trade coaches. Logically that's what happened with SVG but it wasn't an actual trade.

Orlando wanted to hire SVG who had been replace by Pat Riley as coach of the Heat. Orlando couldn't outright sign Van Gundy because he was still under contract to the Heat. Miami agreed to release SVG from the remainder of his contract in exchange for a draft pick. Once released, Van Gundy then signed with Orlando. Had it been an actual trade, the his contract would have just been transfered to Orlando rather than signing a new deal.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

In a sense. Yes. Applying mostly to the NFL and NBA.

A team can ask for compensation for an person on another staff who is under contract.

from USA today article:
    But when the Magic and Heat reached a deal — Orlando will send the 39th pick of the NBA draft to the Heat and give Miami the option of swapping first-round selections in 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Gruden#Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Riley#Miami_Heat
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick#New_York_Jets
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Van_Gundy#Orlando_Magic

You're essentially trading future players for a coach. Even, if it were to involve active players, I do not think it would be a cause for controversy, if both teams agree to it.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

this, and it has been posted at least twice that I remember

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.