1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach of the Year - Kevin McHale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JD88, Feb 13, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he can cut half of his ISO game plans, he is already a notch better.

2. Play07

Play07 Member

wait until machale gets a strech 4 vet PF you see WAYYY more plays, he knows how to run these high screens pick and pop plays if you see last year with PAT and season before last, but we just dont have the guy yet.

he already has the r&r for our 1-3s winnig games
    howard postup inside out game getting better

3. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

barring a 2nd half of season meltdown, this award is in the bag for Hornacek.

4. bongman

bongman Member

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Sometimes I hope (because I just don't know) that these things were deliberately misspelled.

"Your" awesome. ARGH.

Oh, btw.

McHale? COTY? If we'd lost last night's game---and we almost did, after leading by 19; a familiar refrain around here---this thread wouldn't exist. The Official Fire McHale thread would blow up.

6. MadMax

MadMax Member

That's who I'd give it to if I were voting today.

7. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Coach of the year? No. I like coach and i think he should def be out coach.

but too many games this season we should have won to where it came down to a good part of the blame on just being outcoached and bad coaching decisions down the line.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm pretty sure Rockets are as talented as any team in the NBA. COY candidates make their team perform above their talent level. Mchale has not.

9. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

It's probably gonna go to Phoenix. C'mon, people were looking at that roster and projected them to be the 2nd/3rd worst team in the league. Now they have a respectable record despite having no stars power in a very competitive West, just like Denver last year.

10. Stats

Stats Member

I dunno about COY, but I've been really happy with McHale's rotations and management lately. He still makes a few mistakes here and there, but hey, I'm armchair coaching and I get a better angle than he does :)

11. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Hornacek, Hornacek, Hornacek.

McHale has done a good, above average job. He is fantastic at managing personalities.

But what is happening in PHX is amazing.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

-Mike Brown and DAntoni have won COY awards
    -Doc Rivers won it and got fired the next year
    -Scott Brooks is the All Star coach
    -"Run it Again" Rudy T is the best coach in Rockets history
    -JVG, George Karl, Jerry Sloan, and Doug Collins are all un-employed as far as coaching goes.

Yes its completely possible that McHale could with COY.

However, I think its about time people realize how much coaching REALLY matters in the NBA???... It matters but its not in in the way that fans think it does.

McHale isn't even a "good" basketball strategist by any stretch of the imagination, but he puts his players in a good position to be successful, the players buy it, and they play hard for him most of the time.

That's the hard part of being a successful NBA coach, and someone that can be considered a COY candidate any given year with a decent amount of health and success.

13. bongman

bongman Member

I agree that we have the talent but we all know that doesn't normally equate to wins. Have you considered that:
    - We are the 4th youngest team in the league playing in the WESTERN conference
    - This team has only been together for less than a year and had to learn to play with a NEW dominant teammate
    - Had one of the hardest schedule (terms of strength of schedule and most back to backs) for the first half which means, less practice (to play with each other and especially DH) and more fatigued.

I don't think he is the COTY for the first half of the season. But claiming he has not made the team perform better than expected is a bit unfair. If we end up in 3rd seed when the regular season ends, then he should be at least part of the COTY discussion.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The fact that we keep losing leads like we do and don't play D is the reason I say no, it's Hornacek. Unless we make it to the first Seed and I will call Mchale a Magician and lead the campaign for him as COY.

15. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Lol man we win one game and people are saying Mchale for COTY, and we loose a game people are wanting to fire him. Give the guy some credit though he's had a tough time loosing his mother, daughter, he's dealt with injuries to key players and somehow we sitting at 3rd on the WC. The race is tight and we're starting to put together a good run. Wether we win or loose im willing to give coach Mchale the benefit of the doubt. He's a hell of a coach in my book.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I see what this is, this is a cleverly disguised fire McHale thread! Everyone knows if you have talent, win COTY, and don't win a championship you get fired. You're not foolin' no one around here OP.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

COTY is for coaches who take teams who are expected to lose 50+ games, and end up winning around 50. That's not the Rockets.

18. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Hornacek definitely deserves to win this award for turning PHX around.

I dont think McHale deserves the flack he gets for iso plays because really, we don't know the plays he wants to be run and its up to the players to follow that play. Making plays, especially the last play of the game, is very hard because once the other team counters it, you're pretty much going to rely on iso most of the time.

Good coaching is very hard to gauge in terms of set plays because there are alot of variables in play, particularly the team's IQ and awareness. The best gauge, imo, is the player rotation. In that regard, McHale isn't that bad - he pulls players who are playing bad and insert productive ones which really makes sense. There are times when he stuck on players for too long but those are gambles he has to make. Like all gambles, sometimes it worked and other times it didnt.

19. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

jeff hornacek and it's no even close.

dwayne casey also deserve a nod.

but COTY is somewhat cursed.

they get fired the next year so................. here's hoping that McHale will win ;):p

20. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

my awsome what?:confused: