1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach interviews during gametime.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TeamUSA, Apr 23, 2008.

1. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Did you notice how coaches react to these interviews at the end a quarter? Aside from annoyed faces, some of them answer back with sarcasm.

I don't think this is appropriate. They have to focus on the game. Whoever got this idea must be a um.. never mind.

2. dookiester

dookiester Member

i think its a bad idea. maybe joe shmoe who watches 1 basketball game a year gets value out of it, but if im a real fan of the team, i want my coach focused on his players and not having to worry about talking to reporters who don't ask anything insightful.

the wired-mics on players are also lame. although its fun to hear the players talk, you know they'll end up saying things just because they know they're miked up. instead, they should just leave a mic on the floor so we can hear what every player is saying in situ. i want to hear the trash talking, not the staged 'look at me' remarks alot of the wired players make.

3. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

No one looks more pissed off than Popovich. I bet if Bob Knight was in the league this stupid idea won't exist. It's real dumb.

I don't mind the players being mic'd up. I know they still cuss alot and such, just that the producers select which tidbits to display.

4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Haha, I was gonna bring his ass up. He looked like he was going to bite the interviewer's head off.

Some of the coaches actually give decent interviews, but I like it much more because of the unintentional hilarity/awkwardness and occasional hostility.

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yep, I dont like it, why the media cant wait to the end of the game, to interview someone, and other thing, the press conference after the game, is for that, to know about what they think (coaches and players) about the game.

6. FFz

FFz Member

Phil Jackson flirted with the courtside reporter for one of the interviews. LOL that was the best.

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

hahaha, that' sfunny.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Worst Idea ever...the coaches obviously hate it.

DD

9. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I like the interviews, and IMO, the ones with Pop where he seems annoyed are the ones with Craig Sager. I think he's playing up a gimmick/image with Sager. For example, one time he took the handkerchief from Sager's suit and blew his nose on it, then put it back in the coat pocket. I've always thought he at least tried to give semi-thoughtful responses to most of the interviewers.

I don't care if the coaches don't like it. Sometimes you have parts of your job that you don't like, but you have to do them and do a good job with them because that's part of your job.

10. GoRedRowdies

GoRedRowdies Member

interesting to get into the minds of the coaches

GRR

11. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

i think its r****ded, Popovich lookes pissed all the time.

12. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

It's not the worst idea ever, I think Joe Schmoe casual fan guy probably thinks he's getting inside info and Phil gets to run his mouth during some high price air time. Just like everything else the NBA gives us 'inside' looks at at, it is filtered, generic, and boring. Also, I seriously cannot stand anytime they split the screen when the game is back on, like when they showing stats or interviews on the side.

The only thing I want to hear is the on-court trash talking. Mic up Soulja Boy while we're at it.

13. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

do you think they will share the not obvious ones? having coaches as analyst during the game like Jeff , Hubie brown is good enough.

it's not about your job, it's about fairness to the clubs, to the game. What if your interview time is before the 4th Q and you're down in points and you need to give your team some fresh plans... but then your time was eaten by the interview? :)

I think there will be a time when we will hear responses like the one Stevie Franchise did to Craig. :)

14. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

It's totally stupid, but I guess they have to justify having 1-2 sideline reporters per game. It takes away from the game and adds nothing to the broadcast. Why can't the networks just leave things alone and focus on the game instead of all these gimmicks?

15. supastevefoo

supastevefoo Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qMFESumRgkA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qMFESumRgkA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

16. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Funny hsahahah. No doubt Philip is thinking about bedroom triangle offense. :D

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I have more of a problem with players and coaches wearing mics and mics in the huddle

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Its something i've always hated and unfortunately its been added to American soccer. The MLS always has reporters interviewing the coaches at half-time.
    Its a stupid idea imho.

19. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

Can they reject the interviews? Or let one of their assistant coaches speak?

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In MLB it seems like its usually pitching coaches speaking.