1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Co-worker . issues

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Apollo Creed, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I have an employee who calls in sick every time she gets her period. What's the deal? Are they really that awful? I imagine discomfort, but having to call in sick EVERY time? It doesn't seem like every other woman takes a day or two off per month for this.

I don't really want to say anything, because I'd come off as insensitive...and I also really don't want to get into details on the topic with her...but it's pretty annoying.

Males: How would you address the situation?

Females: Do your periods incapacitate you every month?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Why should you care? Let her use her sick days....would you rather she come in and ruin your day?

DD

3. Apollo Creed

She doesn't have sick days. She's part time. And I'd rather her come in so I can go home when I'm supposed to.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If her periods are that bad, then she's probably not on birth control. My girlfriend is, and it relieves her pain so much that I honestly don't even notice a change in her mood or personal comfort level during that "time of the month".

The reason I bring that up? Well, don't get drunk and **** her at the office Christmas party.

5. Apollo Creed

She's a lesbian, so there's a good chance she doesn't bother with BC...and that last part won't happen either...

6. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Well, some women have severe periods where they can't walk or do normal things for a day or two. There is a medical condition for it.

So, she's entitled to use her sick days if she's really having bad periods or faking it. :)

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Some women get very horny before their period, too, so much so it can incapacitate me.

8. cson

cson Contributing Member

Apollo, she's part time and has no sick days? Is she that over-qualified? FIRE HER! If you can't be here, you can't get paid from here.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Apollo, I would have a congenial sit-down with her.

If this is a pattern, and she has no sick time, she must recognize that, regardless of the cause, she is risking losing her position.

She needs to plan properly, seriously, and try to get someone to cover for her in advance, days ahead of time.

And yes, periods can be that bad for some people.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Like b-bob says, have a serious talk with her when she comes back in.

Be sure to use the "what's the deal" tack, as well as pointing out that other women don't call in sick. Bring up sexual preference and birth control too.

Women are receptive to this stuff after their periods. That pms stuff you hear about is all myth,

Let us know how it turns out.

(for what it's worth -- if she's entitled to sick days, or isn't getting paid, i'm with DD on this. Ain't none of your concern. And at least you can predict when she'll be off).

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Periods suck, for women AND men. Let her go.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

As Lady_Di already said, some women have worse periods than others. I've got a lot of doctor friends, and one of them had them so bad she would have to call in sick. I can't remember the name of the actual condition.

As a male, you don't mention it. Unless your good friends with her, that's kind of invasion of personal space and off-limits. Also if there is a medical condition, she'll probably go into details about it (which it sounds like you don't want).

The whole thing is between her and management. Surely they have noticed her being out every month. She probably told them about it when she started. It's generally bad to try to trash someone to management. Even if it's legit (and this seems a bit petty), you come off looking like an ass.

13. Apollo Creed

Well, it's a retail store and I'm her manager. We're good friends though, and I worry that she takes advantage of that, especially knowing I think that stuff is effing gross to even discuss. She used to actually spell it out for me, now after my complaints she just says "women issues".

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I hope this is an attempt at sarcasm. Because you would seriously be opening yourself to litigation if you take this advice.

Without mentioning anything about the "reason" for her absence, explain to her that regular attendance is an essential function of her job.

Texas is an at-will state, which means you can fire anyone at anytime for any non-discriminatory reason (internal HR policies permitting).

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

women... cant live with 'em, cant kill 'em all.

16. ScriboErgoSum

That's a different scenario. In that case, it would probably be good to bring it up. I'd ask if she has a medical condition. Is every period is expected to be incapicitating? Keep it non-confrontational.

If you're part of a chain and have a corporate office, you might want to check in with them. Make sure you don't get sued for sexual discrimination ("I was fired because I had painful periods...").

She probably did sign some kind of employee agreement when she started. Hopefully part of it mentioned that she be physically able to do the job. If you stick to that line of questioning, you should be fine.

Good luck.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You should make it strictly an attendance issue and deal with it accordingly. A part-timer with no sick days who takes off every month needs to be let go. If you have trouble taking action because she's your "good friend", you made a big mistake by hiring her. My workplace was blown up a few months ago over a similar issue.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's the good thing about having a wife who is preggo. NO PERIODS!

Except that it's kind of like a perpetual "period" that lasts for 9 months instead of 3 days.....

Wait, what was the good thing again?

GOD, SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!

19. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I had a co-worker years ago that would do this too. Her pain was so bad that she took off at least one day during her period. Turned out that she had a tumor growing around her ovaries, and she had to get it removed. Sucks because the doctors don't think she will ever be able to have kids. If it hurts that bad, she needs to get it checked out.

20. ScriboErgoSum

Keep in mind that after the birth, they start up again and the first few are way more intense (according to my wife). And then there's post-partum, coupled with a severe lack of sleep. :eek:

By the way, when is she due?