1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNNSI Mock Draft - Rockets take Morrison

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Coog, May 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Coog

Coog Member

2. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I'd be pumped if the draft fell that way.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That might be the worst mock I have seen yet. No way Morrison falls to #8.

The first 2 picks are okay but I don't see Charlotte picking up a big man, especially if a perimeter player like Morrison is available. Okafor and May have had injury problems, but you don't use a #3 pick on a guy who will be a bench player behind May and Okafor.

History would show that ATL is set to choose yet another SF (M. Williams, Josh Smith, Childress) but Marcus Williams would be the best pick for that team.

Here's my mock:
    1. Toronto- Aldridge (Morrison would make sense, LA maybe too good to pass)

2. Chicago- Bargnani (they need some scoring from their big men)

3. Charlotte- Morrison (no more big men, they need scoring)

4. Portland- Roy (McMillan supposedly loves this kid)

5. Atlanta- Marcus Williams (they need a PG, Williams is best PG in the draft)

6. Minnesota- Gay (best athlete in draft, BPA at #6)

7. Boston- Thomas (Celts could use some athleticism and toughness up front)

8. Houston- Carney (we get some much needed athleticism on the perimeter)

9. G.S.- O' Bryant (maybe the Warriors figured out how much Foyle sucks)

10. Seattle- Shelden Williams (they need an inside presence)

#3 gucci888, May 24, 2006
    Last edited: May 24, 2006
  4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

gucci- You forgot Tyrus Thomas.

Also, I don't know about Boston picking a point guard, as Delonte West had a pretty nice sophomore year. They're a complete wild card, imo - West is a solid PG, they have Pierce and Wally on the wings with two first rounders in Gerald Green and Tony Allen backing them up, and Al Jefferson is their future at the 4, along with Ryan Gomes. They even have Raef LaFrentz (though he's in a dispute with management) at the 5, but Kendrick Perkins has been very slow progressing. My hope is that Patrick O'Bryant wows them in workouts. He's got an Irish name - makes sense to go to the Celtics, right?

#4 NIKEstrad, May 24, 2006
    Last edited: May 24, 2006
  5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I"ll have my fingers crossed that one of the top 7 teams reaches for O'Bryant or Foye.

6. gucci888

I knew I forgot someone. I was thinking about O'Bryant to Boston as well, but I hesitated w/ LaFrentz and Blount on board already. I just thought Foye or Rondo might fit in since PG has the least depth on the team.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Swap Roy with Thomas and thats exactly the same draft I submitted to ESPN.com today in their little "Prove You're Smarter Than Chad Ford" mock draft feature.

8. gucci888

That would make a lot of sense too, Thomas would fill in for Randolph (who is good as gone IMO). But I also read an article that McMillan really likes Roy and they could use a good SG as well.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I just figure they probably consider Martell Webster their future at SG. Plus, i'm sure they would hold a ticker-tape parade in Portland if/when they find somebody to deal for Randolph. In that case, Stromile Jr. would fit in nicely plus as college freshman he's the closest thing to a HS senior the Blazers can get to satisify their obsession with drafting HS seniors. :)

By the way, if Morrison somehow fell to us at #8 that would be a fantastic pick up. Morrison kind of reminds me of Wally World but with twice the heart. I always found myself saying if Wally World didn't make a ton of money he would be a decent 3rd gun as a Rocket. But unfortunately as you said, the Bobcats need a perimeter scorer and if Morrison falls to #3 it just makes too much sense for them to pass.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Morrison falling to 8 would be very good value for us. That would be a pleasant surprise. If two out of O'Bryant, Foye, Marcus Williams, and possibly Sheldon Williams and Rajon Rondo, goes before we pick, I would be absolutely ecstatic. They've all got a chance depending on how workouts go and if a run on big men or point guards happen on draft day.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Blount was traded to the TWolves in the Wally deal. The only guys who the Celtics have who can play the 5 spot is an unhappy/injury prone Lafrentz and a still budding Kendrick Perkins. They'll be getting Dickau back next season, and also have Orien Greene backing up West.

I'm pretty ok with our draft position - it seems worst case scenario will be Carney. If another point guard or Patrick O'Bryant can make their way into the top 7, Gay or Roy will fall into our laps.

12. dream2franchise

Gucci, didn't you have thomas at the #7?

IF Morrison falls to number 8, which i doubt, gotta grab him.

13. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

No lie, that's the same exact draft I sent off too.

I personally think we're smarter than Chad Ford.

;)

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

it'd be interesting if Boston takes Morrison.

15. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Morrison is too good to fall out top 5.

Gucci's mock is pretty mich reflects the current stock of this draft.

Just dont know if Atlanta will pick the position or pick the best. Marcus Williams is good but I dont think he has better potential than Gay/Thomas.

CD really should try to persuade Atlanta to trade down their picks. Marcus Williams will still be available at 8th spot. And if we move up to the 5th, we are going to have Gay or Roy or Morrison.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/14652592.htm

"From a leverage standpoint, it's better for us,'' Bobcats coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff said of landing third in Tuesday's draft lottery. "You always want to increase the leverage."

Translation: The Bobcats would listen if some team wants to give them something to move back a few spots. Bickerstaff believes there are six or seven players of comparable value in this draft. So if some other general manager has his heart set on a particular player with the third pick, make the call.

"It's the consensus -- everybody is talking about (Louisiana State's Tyrus) Thomas, (Texas' LaMarcus) Aldridge and (Gonzaga's Adam) Morrison" as the top three picks, he said. "I don't buy into that. But I do know that's the theory."

...The Raptors jumping to the No. 1 spot is interesting because Toronto has been tied to Italian pro Andrea Bargnani. The Raptors are hiring Maurizio Gherardini, general manager of Benetton Treviso, the team for which Bargnani plays.

Bickerstaff subscribes to the theory that the Raptors are enamored with Bargnani, and wonders if the Raptors are looking to trade down to acquire him. That would be another way the Bobcats could move around in this draft.

"What's good is the third pick could be a pivotal pick. I think a lot of people could move to get that pick," Bickerstaff said. "And I think there are six, seven, eight players in this draft who could be of comparable ability. I'm convinced of that."

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Interesting that he says 8. I doubt we have the assets to move up to 3, but it's nice to forecast. Too bad they didn't get the #5 pick instead of Atlanta. Atlanta seems ready to stay pat, while Charlotte is open to trading down. And going up to #5 from #8 would be much easier. Freaking Billy Knight.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I also think if Marcus Williams moves into the top 7 it could possibly drop Roy down to the 8th pick. If Morrison drops to the 8th spot the Rockets should take him but I still think that the Bobcats will take him if he still on the board.

19. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Unless Morrison can turn into a Shawn Marion type player, how does he fit into the Rockets current lineup? You'd have to put T-Mac back at the 2 and I just can't see that happening... :confused:

20. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Tmac isn't going to play the 2- Period

We will draft a 1,2 or 4

Morrison will be decent not as strong as Chris Mullins and not as good a pure shooter, but similar otherwise.

I was never impressed with Morrison when I saw him play. He was a good college scorer but the NBA is changing- look at Diaw @ Phoenix or Howard @ Dallas, those long quick strong athletic wing players are what works.

Go for Carney, Gay, Brewer or possibly M Williams