1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnnsi] Knicks close in on Francis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Feb 21, 2006.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'd pay money to watch Starbury and Francis go at it in practice. Unfortunately, that's likely to be far more entertaining (and competitive) than any of their actual games.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's just tough to believe that the Magic have no better offer than this?

And tough to believe that New York would put Starbury and Francis together in the backcourt. I mean, it only takes one overpaid a$$h*le to dribble out the clock.

Still can't help but think that someone leaked a false story, or an only-partly-true story. Didn't the Wolves want Starbury back? Wouldn't McCants/Jaric/etc be better for the Magic than Jamal Crawford and Mo-Money Taylor?

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve is playing tonight so they can't be that close to a deal.

I'm actually starting to think the Knicks know something that we don't ... like they have a wink-wink deal in place with David Stern for some future rule change in a year that allows a franchise to clear all contracts off the books and receive their original draft picks back if they are in a major market and were general managed by a spastic twit. They can call it the "Layden-Thomas Rule".

"The New York Knicks have announced that they are invoking their rights to the LTR exception and will select Greg Oden with the #1 pick to pair up with recent signee LeBron James."

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh the drama that is the nba, i bet you you most of the trades will happen on the deadline.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When does LeBron come unrestricted? Hell even restricted
    If they can get some contracts at end around that time . . . .
    I'm sure Stern will make it happen

Rocket River

6. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

lol :D :D

Lets trade him with Sura, DA, RB...... RA needs a backup PG.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

what the hell is the owner of that team thinking. just letting thomas get every player that is overpaid in the league.

it kind of reminds me of what the mavs having been doing for years. but just much much worse job of it.

8. Lance Berkman

Lance Berkman Member

JVG just bashed players who can't handle trade rumors and say that it effects their game.

I'm pretty sure he was talking a shot at Stevie.

9. RocketsFAN3035

Yes, I was at that game (in Philly--we had those horrible pinstriped unis then). If I remember correctly, Stevie ally-opped someone from out of bounds with like .7 remaning in the game. It was a blowout and the Rockets were up big time. I think it gave Steve a tripple double which is way Brown got so upset, like Steve was trying to show him up or something. I'm pretty sure that's what happened, but I could be wrong.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Lebron will sign a max extension with Cleveland. I'm sure of it. BUT because of how young he is, and the fact that they shortened long-term contracts, he'll be able to opt out after 4 years and still be only 26-27 years old. I'm certain that's how it will play out. Cleveland will get 8 years of Lebron, but if they can't keep him happy, he'll test the market.

If I was New York, I'd target 2011, which incidentally is about the time they finally have cap space.

11. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Not if Isiah continues to be their GM. :p

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This might be the first backcourt where the point guards steal the ball from each other.

13. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

It reads CORPORATE.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

As a basketball fan, I would actually want to watch the Knicks if they pull off this trade. It would be like watching WifeSwap, Fear Factor, or Cops. You know there's going to be some kind of trainwreck. You don't want to be the guy at the water cooler that doesn't know what happened.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I know, I was thinking the same thing

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

link -ny times
    February 22, 2006
    Knicks' Deal for Francis Is More Likely Than Not
    By HOWARD BECK

GREENBURGH, N.Y., Feb. 21 — The rebuilding effort by Isiah Thomas is as unsightly as promised, probably more so, and there is no telling whether his next bold move, which appears imminent, will make matters better or worse.

Thomas, the Knicks' president, has a deal in place to acquire guard Steve Francis from the Orlando Magic, and the trade could be completed as early as Wednesday, according to a person involved in the discussions. The person, who was granted anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about the negotiations publicly, said a trade bringing Francis to New York was "more likely than not."

Knicks officials would not confirm or deny that a deal was in place, but they have made no attempts to dispel the recent rumors about a Francis deal.

The current proposal, according to the person, would send guard Jamal Crawford, forward Maurice Taylor and possibly the swingman Trevor Ariza to Orlando. The Knicks would obtain Francis and forward Pat Garrity.

Penny Hardaway's expiring contract, which the Knicks have sought to use in a number of potential deals, would not be included in the Francis trade. Hardaway could still be moved in a deal to land one of the Knicks' other targets, among them Portland's Theo Ratliff and Darius Miles, and Denver's Earl Watson.

Francis, a three-time All-Star with the Houston Rockets, has had a rocky tenure with the Magic, which acquired him in June 2004 in a package for Tracy McGrady. The Magic suspended Francis for two games last month after he refused to re-enter a game against Seattle.

Francis later apologized, but the Magic began fielding trade offers, and Thomas — who has a history of gambling on expensive players with spotty résumés — began his pursuit. Francis, who turned 29 on Tuesday, makes $13.8 million this season and is owed $48 million over the next three seasons.

Knicks officials believe their rebuilding effort — which Thomas called "ugly," "dirty," "bloody" and "embarrassing" Tuesday — would be accelerated by Francis, who has career averages of 19.4 points, 6.4 assists and 6 rebounds.

Like the Knicks' Stephon Marbury, Francis is a scoring point guard who has grated on teammates and coaches at times. The Knicks, however, envision Francis and Marbury forming a dangerous tandem, with each capable of running the offense, breaking down defenses off the dribble and scoring from anyplace on the court.

But neither is known for his defense, and neither Francis (6 foot 3) nor Marbury (6-2) has the size to defend opposing shooting guards.

Garrity, an eight-year veteran, would be acquired to meet N.B.A. rules that require a roughly equal amount of salary on each side of the deal. A skilled perimeter shooter, the 6-9 Garrity has a career .404 average beyond the 3-point line.

The league trading deadline is 3 p.m. Thursday, and a report on Sports Illustrated's Web site suggested that Orlando was waiting to see if a more attractive offer surfaced.

Orlando wants to rebuild around Dwight Howard, a 20-year-old power forward taken first over all in the 2004 draft.

At various times, the Knicks considered Crawford and Ariza to be key pieces of their rebuilding effort, and off-limits in trade talks. On Tuesday, in a 17-minute session with reporters, Thomas said he would trade his young prospects only to obtain a star player.

Thomas did not comment on specific trade rumors, or predict that he would complete a deal by Thursday, but he said that Hardaway's contract remained in play. He indicated that the team's ownership was willing to continue increasing the Knicks' payroll, currently a league-high $120 million.

The Knicks reached the All-Star Game break with a 15-37 record, 10 games out of the playoff field in the Eastern Conference. Thomas did not rule out a deal to save the season, but he also said, "I don't feel like we're in panic mode, that we have to do something."

Thomas added: "We have a coach that wants some relief right now, and if we can satisfy him and do that for him, we will. We won't do anything that compromises our future, but we'll also try to make sure we improve our present."

After signing the Hall of Fame Coach Larry Brown and acquiring center Eddy Curry before the season, the Knicks figured to hover at least around .500 and perhaps grab a playoff berth. For the first time, Thomas said that the team he assembled was much worse than anticipated.

"It's definitely been a disappointment in terms of where we are today," he said, "because we have a great coach, I think we have good players. But for whatever reason, it hasn't come together."

Record aside, Thomas said the Knicks were "still in a better place" than they were a year ago, because the roster has better talent and depth. But he conceded that the current group might have chemistry problems.

"Thus far, you'd have to say that's true," he said, adding, "Maybe it's not the right mix."

Thomas dismissed suggestions that he and Brown had conflicting agendas but did not try to dispel the notion that players had grown weary of Brown's relentless criticism.

"If I could wish for anything right now, I would just wish that the players and the coaches could really find that happy medium," Thomas said, "because when you talk about the chemistry and everything else, that may be a problem."

Thomas, standing firmly behind Brown, said it was up to the players to adapt.

"If the players can't get along with the coach, then the players will have to go," Thomas said. "We're not getting rid of the coach. We're riding with the coach."

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed, two ballhogs that shot first and don't know how to spell Defense...

20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Now that it's done I guess it won't be complete disaster, but as a fan I wish he had gone to a better team, the struggle continues for him.