1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnnsi] Knicks close in on Francis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Feb 21, 2006.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[updated] Knicks gets Francis for Penny/Ariza

Marbury and Steve? this reminds me of when WCW joined with the WWF to form the WWE.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/marty_burns/02/21/francis/index.html

Knicks close in on Francis
    Deal with Orlando for All-Star nearing completion
    Posted: Tuesday February 21, 2006 1:24PM; Updated: Tuesday February 21,

Could Stevie Franchise soon be bound for Broadway?

The Knicks and Magic are close to a deal that would send three-time All-Star guard Steve Francis to New York for a package of players, according to two league sources. Details of the trade were still being worked out, according to one of the sources, who emphasized that it had yet to be completed. The Magic apparently have decided to wait until the last minute before Thursday's trade deadline to see if any better offers come up.

If the trade goes through, it would represent yet another high-profile acquisition for Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who already has added Larry Brown, Quentin Richardson, Eddy Curry and Jalen Rose this season alone. The 6-foot-3 Francis has averaged 19.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 6.4 assists over his seven-year NBA career. He would join Stephon Marbury to form a backcourt with a combined five All-Star appearances.

The Knicks apparently are ready to send three players, including two regular members of the rotation, to Orlando in the deal. Neither team's officials will comment on any ongoing trade talks, but it is likely Jamal Crawford and Maurice Taylor would be included. The Magic are in a rebuilding mode, and the 6-5 Crawford is considered an intriguing young talent who would be able to step in and help fill the team's hole at shooting guard. Taylor would likely be included to help make the salaries match Francis' $13.7 million a year.

Francis, who was traded from Houston to Orlando last season as part of the Tracy McGrady deal, has been unhappy with his role this season under new Magic coach Brian Hill. Last month he refused to re-enter a game late in a blowout loss at Seattle, and was suspended two games. He later apologized, but the Magic soon after decided to listen to offers for a possible trade.

Francis, who celebrates his 29th birthday Tuesday, might welcome a change of scenery. He clearly has looked frustrated this season, and heads into the post All-Star break averaging career-lows in points (16.3) rebounds (4.8), assists (5.7) and three-point shooting (25.7 percent). He recently came out and admitted his play had become affected by constant trade rumors.

As of last week, the Nuggets were considered the front-runner to acquire Francis in a trade. But Denver reportedly was leery of picking up the remainder of his contract (three years, $49 million). The Knicks, already owners of the league's highest payroll, have no such concerns.

#1 tinman, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

3. Cesar^Geronimo

I would love to see Steve on a team that would let him run and gun. I'm not sure Larry Brown and Steve Francis sounds like a match though.

4. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

The ineptitude of the Knicks is startling.

Just throw more money and more big names out there and everything will turn out good, right?

5. tinman

Supporting Member

STARBURY + FRANCHISE =
    STARCHISE!

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Marbury/Francis backcourt under Larry Brown???? I think Thomas is trying to get Brown committed!

7. Kurupt the Kingpin

I like how Isiah signs Larry Brown to a monster contract and then proceeds to filll the roster with guys that are the complete opposite of what he's looking for. Larry is already having enough problems with Marbury, and now they bring in Francis?!?

8. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

More appropriate :

Franchise + Starbury = Franchise Bury!

9. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

or Bury Franchise

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

...or Cronk columnist Franbury.

11. cson

cson Contributing Member

Franc-n-bury

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Starbury + Franchise = DISASTER*

* I will also accept "Train Wreck"

13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

The problem with that is Steve doesn't know how to run and gun. I'm not sure why people act like he does.

14. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Am I wrong or did Larry Brown call Steve out once while Larry was still in Philly? Either way, I can't see Larry managing both Steve and Marbury. Plus Jalen Rose and Eddy Curry? Man, Larry might explode. Leaving the Pistons for Isiah Thomas, I think he deserves it. Sounds like a lot of fun.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If this happens, look for Stevie to play PF or C as he will probably be the best rebounder on the Knicks team.

Thomas is building a monster team... and by "monster" I don't mean "a threatening force," but rather "unnatural or extreme ugliness, deformity..."

16. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Did you see the first half of last season with the Magic? They seemed to run the fast break very well to me.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Does anyone remember that episode of Fresh Prince when Will was about to take the final shot of the game, then Carlton wrestled the ball away from him and heaved an airball over the backboard? That's what it will be like watching Marbury and Francis in the same backcourt.

18. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I don't want to be judging them so quickly. Maybe it's good for SF to have a new start. He doesn't want to be in Orlando, and they traded Cat away as well, so he totally lost out there. New situation, new team, maybe will bring out his fire again. I don't think Isiah acts alone without discussing with Brown. Why not? It's fashionable to ridicule Isiah whatever he does. A blank cheque won't buy you a championship team, but it's really not that hard to buy a playoff team.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no more Steve-O?

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Actually, the word is they will move Starbury to the 2. The Knicks think that Starbury is a better SG than PG. Wait till they see SF at PG, Marbury will be back at PG post haste.

Starbury Would Welcome Shift To Shooting Guard
    4th August, 2005 - 3:04 am
    NY Times - Stephon Marbury made it clear on Wednesday that he never thought he would be traded when the rumors emerged last month and that he was not worried now, either, with Larry Brown aboard.

Marbury suggested that people who bought into the trade talk just wanted to see him fail.

"They want me to go on a bad team so they can continue to drag me," said Marbury, who was presiding over his basketball camp at Chelsea Piers in Manhattan. "But it's cool, though. I'm still here, I ain't going nowhere, and I'm still going to play the same way I play."

When he was asked yesterday about the intriguing possibility of moving from point guard to shooting guard, his eyes lit up. He even said that Brown once told him that if he coached him, he would play him at shooting guard.

"It's going to be kind of scary because now I can shoot whenever I want to shoot," Marbury said of the potential shift.