1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNN] US carries out air strikes in Syria targeting Iranian backed militia structures

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't. I probably have been called not American enough for that view. I'm just making an argument that it's weak here.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Biden backed out of Yemen weeks ago and angered Saudis in the process. The Iran thing is very fragile since he needs the backing off partners who aren't entirely willing to play along again.

A few missiles doesn't influence things except to tip a message that we aren't entirely focused on pullback.

This signal might be overplayed into another confrontation though. Everyone knows we can be baited into doing things we don't want to do in that death trap...

He saw the Muppet warning in Dis+ and was deeply triggered

FranchiseBlade and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Worry about teaching your fellow brethren to use an actual toilet and not the railroad or the middle of the street, then we can have a conversation about "imperialist scum".

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

"Stop bombing us."

*proceeds to get racist as **** real fast*

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya I agree with a lot of what Nook posts and this is actually pretty out of character of him. Not his best post.

@Nook, you think you went a little too aggressive there?

6. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Aggressive? It was blatantly racist.

Not to mention stupid. He's equating third worlders living non-lavish lifestyles to imperialism. What.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Not really.

If he wants to call my country imperialist scum, he can deal with having someone denigrate bathroom habits.

8. fchowd0311

Eh. There is a difference between calling a government "imperialistic" and the Individual people dirty and ******** on train tracks.

Like with one you aren't assuming every American supports our foreign policy positions and when he made that comment is was directed at the government, not all of us as posters.

Your attack was making an assumption that he ***** on train tracks, removing Individual merit.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Racist? No, hardly.

If you want to call my country imperialist scum, then you can deal with being called out on it.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I didn't assume he ***** on train tracks (he lives in the USA).

We can agree to disagree, but when you come out with "imperialist scum", you should expect a reaction from people.

When I criticize the CCP I expect it.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You had plenty of candidates to vote for. You weren't limited to those on the ballot

12. fchowd0311

The general election? There were only two realistic candidates and a vote for someone else that was Biden when you hate Trump helps Trump's chances.

Didn't we get upset at Bernie voters for this in 2016?

I'm glad he voted holding his nose and voted for Biden because if he didn't that would have helped Trump's chances.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I disagree. I will never compromise my vote. I have the absolute right to vote for the candidate I think is best for the country. No one on the ballot fit that bill for me. If Trump would have won the election, that's not my fault.

14. fchowd0311

No one said you don't have the right. Just acknowledging the reality if you hate Trump more than Biden, a vote for anyone who isn't Biden helps Trump's chances. That's just a logistical reality.

I criticize Biden a lot here and many of the establishment Democrats behind Biden at the expense of some rather heated debates and call outs here but ya dude, I understand the pragmatic choice during a general election.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Call me old fashion, but I'd prefer Biden come out with a "Person, woman, man, camera, TV" moment to flex his mental capabilities than to drop bombs

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

It's my country too and I will not hide its guilt of mass murder.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not really. In New York state, Joe Biden received 5,230,985 votes. Trump received 3,244,798 votes. A host of other candidates and write-in received votes. Joe Jorgensen received 60,234 votes. Kanye West received 1,897 votes. Someone named Richard Charles Montanye received one vote.

A vote for anyone who wasn't Biden did not help Trump's chances in New York state. That's just a mathematical reality.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jeez how many times were you allowed to vote??

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

I mean it's not about the Individual vote but a large group of people sharing similar sentiments that can effect the election results and obviously it's dependent on state. Like obviously in swing states it matters.

I'll concede that in a safe state like NY, Mass or Cali, it doesn't matter.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't followed the story enough but it wouldn't surprise me if Biden had informed Congressional leaders ahead of time. Under the war powers a strike like this is very much within the Executive branch's power.

Not saying that's a good thing just that the President does have the power to use the military in limited situations without the approval of Congress.