1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNN: N Korea fires at S Korea, injuring 6 soldiers!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by t_mac1, Nov 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rage

rage Member

And apparently the N told the S not to do it.

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

All BS posturing to get into the world news headlines.

I imagine the Kim Jong's puppet from Team America, "I'm so wronry pay attention to us!!

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt the PRC will back NK militarily. The PRC likes NK as a buffer but given how much the PRC trades with SK, Japan and the US backing NK is not in its economic or longterm strategic interests.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is it good for?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

1 person likes this.
  5. Breaker

Breaker Member

We have 25,000 servicemen stationed in the ROK. The countless hours and hours of exercise they've done might actually be put to use now. But, of course, the US will try everything to soothe things out first, and act if ROK is determined to retaliate on this.

Honestly, I think they should. Numerous ridiculous acts of hostilities done upon ROK; I don't see how can't keep taking it, years after years without punching back. It's been a long time coming, NK needs to feel the wraaaath of the good guys.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Country sized drive-by shooting, ROK-on-ROK crime. If they want to pick each other off in regional skirmishes over territorial issues, better them than us.

7. esteban

esteban Member

This just in: according to CONGRESSWOMAN Sheila "Queen" Jackson Lee, the North Vietnamese just opened fire on the South Vietnamese this morning in the Port of Houston, wait a minute.........damn, it's so confusing!

8. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Nice! Rep for that.

9. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Number of the Beast huh?

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Old, dumb and irrelevant joke is old, dumb and irrelevant.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If I were China I guess would agree to seal off the border and not offer any assistance to NK, but I'd probably at least inqure about similar assurances with respect to Taiwan.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My understanding is that the #1 concern for China would be a massive influx of refugees across the border. I don't think they can realistically block refugees by simply "closing the border" which is long and mountainous any more than the USA can stop people from crossing the border from Mexico by declaring the border closed.

Everything they do will be in service of preventing a massive population shift. There are, of course, other long term concerns (like the buffer NK provides from the west on their border), but I think China kind of has the tiger by the tail with respect to North Korea, and the only thing worse than not doing something decisive would be to actually do something decisive.

And sealing off the flow of goods to NK will not happen, given the refugees it would create. Basically, NK would have to provide an outcome to China that would be worse for China than a river of refugees before they'd consider it. For instance, they'd have to threaten China with war.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is potentially a "cut off your nose to spite your face" issue, given the artillery that the North has positioned facing Seoul. If "teaching the North a lesson" results in 100,000 South Korean injuries and casualties, and maybe a billion dollars worth of damage, is it worth it?

14. SunsRocketsfan

It's good for people involved in the huge military industrial complex.. $$$ money for them..

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

Aside from these, I don't think China is prepared to abandon NK given 800k or 150k, depending on who you talk to, Chinese died for that country.
    China owns NK by all mean. It supplies its energy, food, consumer products, everything. Without such support, NK probably will collapse in no time. I think China wants NK as a leverage. NK to China is rouge brother that causes trouble in the neighborhood and yet only obeys China. This is sad. I am increasingly annoyed by China's policy w/ NK. I understand this policy might work for the great good of China, but holding NK people subject to hopeless Kim's dynasty is freaking wrong. I know MFW and WNES will jump in and call me a naive moron and pointing out Nicaragua, Panama, Afghanistan, but those don't justify China's backing of NK in my mind.

16. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Japan may benefit from a small boost in their economy as soldiers will prolly go through Japan before heading to S. Korea. Prolly just a message from the new young leader telling the world that he isn't a push-over. Hopefully, that's all it is and it doesn't escalate to anything major.

They should've moved all the industry in Seoul to the far southern border decades ago. Why keep the capitol so close to a war zone?

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

This might be a closer call than you think. To be sure China doesn't want NK to escalate into war, but if NK does it unilaterally again like 50 years ago, would China back it militarily?
    There is one scenario I can think of China might. That is if Taiwan gets into independence mode again under the "green" camp, NK picks its timing then to attack south, US intervenes, Taiwan declares independence, things can get really ugly. Of course I think US probably would by all means not let that happen.

18. wang69

wang69 Member

RAMIREZ, neutralize the north korean threat!!!

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

S korea is a puppet government of the US. They knowingly did their exercises near the border to incite or piss off N Korea.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

From the BBC article:

The North would "continue to make merciless military attacks with no hesitation if the South Korean enemy dares to invade our sea territory by 0.001mm", it warned.

-----

LOLWUT? you measure your maritime border to within a micron? can you at least make one sane statement, just to mix things up?