1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNN: Houston hit record high 104

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

link

(CNN) -- Houston, Texas, had a record high temperature Wednesday as a heat wave continues to grip the nation's midsection, the National Weather Service said Thursday.

A woman tries to beat Houston's record heat by lying on a bench in the shade.

The city sweltered with a high temperature of 104 degrees Wednesday, a record high for June 24, forecasters said. The previous record high for the date was 99 degrees, set in 1980.

The previous record high measured for the month of June in Houston was 103 degrees, set on June 30, 1980, and June 18, 1934.

Heat indices, a combination of temperature and humidity, are breaking the 110-degree mark in many cities.

Forecasters predicted a high near 100 for Houston on Thursday, but the temperature could rise into the triple digits in outlying areas, said CNN meteorologist Reynolds Wolf.

The weather service posted heat advisories for Houston; Dallas, Texas; and New Orleans, Louisiana, indicating that temperatures in those cities will feel like 100 to 105 degrees because of high humidity.

In the Houston community of Bayland Park, the elderly were taking advantage of the air-conditioned Community Center.

"I don't like hot weather. I never have and never will," Teet Charloton told CNN affiliate KPRC-TV in Houston. "But we have to have it. I go from the car to the house or come in here and go back the same way. I don't do much shopping, that's for sure."

Betty Dante added, "It is very hot outside. ... I think as you get older, you feel the heat more."

In southwest Houston, Leticia Alvarado is profiting from the heat.

The unemployed Houstonian has been running along the median on Hillcroft Street at Bellaire Boulevard for seven weeks. She is selling water for $1 a bottle.

"It's hot, too hot," she told the station.

Other cities also were sweltering.

New Iberia, Louisiana, had a temperature Wednesday of 102, which broke the record of 97 in 2005.

An excessive heat warning was issued for St. Louis, Missouri, on Thursday through 7 p.m. CT Saturday. Forecasters predicted a high near 96.

Cloud cover was expected to make temperatures there a little cooler Thursday, but the weather service warned, "A hot and humid air mass remains over the area which will continue to control weather over the region through Saturday."

Afternoon and early evening heat index readings of 100 to 110 were expected in the Missouri city every day through Saturday.

Young children, the elderly and people with chronic sicknesses were advised to stay inside if possible.

The heat wave that began last week was being fed by a high pressure system north of Texas

Air quality alerts were posted for several cities, indicating pollutants exceed accepted standards. A red alert was issued for Houston, the third most severe alert that indicates unhealthy air quality.

2. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

You sissies... (but for real, god this sucks!!! Austin's getting it bad too...)

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stories/062409kvue_record_heat-cb.2a44ff7.html

Record-setting heat grips Austin

06:33 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

KVUE.com and AMY JOHNSTON / KVUE News

Temperatures in Austin shattered a record Wednesday when the mercury soared to a record 105 degrees. It was the hottest day of the year and the second day in a row we've set a record high.

With temperatures in the triple-digits and no significant rain another Central Texas county enacted a burn ban. Blanco County is banning both outdoor burning and fireworks. Travis and Hays counties put bans in effect Tuesday.

Most of the area remains in an exceptional drought --- that's the most severe category.

In the meantime, Austin residents were just trying to stay cool. A Bassett Hound named Theodore didn't mind the heat at Ramsey Park Wednesday, but even he's smart enough to find a shady spot.

"I work with kids all day, and we're outside all day and it is so hot. You just walk out and you start melting. We try to keep them inside, but you know just like a dog, they have to get their energy out," said his owner, Holly Bentley.

A lot of people seem to release that energy in the cool pools around town, but then limit their time in the sun.

"Oh I haven't been out here too long. I just got off work, jumped in and probably hit (tennis) balls for about 20 minutes. I'm about ready to head on home now," said Stephen Wilson.

Then there are those who struggle to make ends meet, and in this blistering heat, they are turning to others for help. Family Eldercare is trying to get people to donate electric fans.

"We're hoping to reach about 7,000 fans this year. And we're about half way there so we really need some help to reach that goal," said Krystal Wilson.

They've teamed up with Austin Fire Department, and every station will accept a new boxed fan or donation.

It's tough all around in this economy. A Houston lawmaker filed an emergency petition which would prevent utility companies from shutting off electricity when the heat index reaches 105 degrees.

This June won't be hotter than in 2008, but it's likely to be the second or third hottest month on record. On average, Austin will only see a dozen triple digit days a year. Right now, we're at 11 and counting -- likely through the end of the month.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Looks like some places in Houston are getting some rain... or sprinkles... maybe the drops'll hit the ground.

4. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Raining over here in gunspoint.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have some plants sitting on my porch and they looked fine around 2pm or so... I looked out there about 30 minutes ago and they looked like somebody had blowtorched them.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Good Lord.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

DARN IT!!!!! My grass is going YELLOW!! :(

I checked wunderground dot com earlier today and it said 106.9° (the Point) for KATY! :eek:

8. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

A/C can't even keep the upstairs portion of my house under 83 degrees. This is nuts!

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I guess it's the price we pay for cheap cost of living.

I swear if that ever goes up, I'm moving to Cali in a heartbeat. I can always get league pass and nfl sunday ticket :cool:

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I was going to ask if it was normal for upstairs to be hotter than downstairs.

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

its 113 over here in Sugar Land

12. sammy

Heat rises so it's normal. You have to 2 ac units in Houston I guess

13. sammy

fixed :eek:

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have 2 in my house but it still feels like the AC upstairs is not as good. Imay just need to get it serviced.

15. Fiah

Fiah Member

I'm on the third story APT. and my A/C runs pretty good but in the heat of the day its tough to keep it in the 70's.

16. sammy

Yeah I notice that too sometimes. Maybe it's the windows in your home. We have a bunch of windows in the gameroom upstairs so it always seems tougher to cool.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Its kind of funny to think this winter people were all like "global warming says what?" But I guess saying the opposite during the summer is just perpetuating that same cycle.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It seems like it rained for like 20 minutes on the southwest side

Rocket River

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sure it is... :) Somebody needs to calibrate their weather station/thermometer or something.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's global cooling... it was way hotter in the 80 and 98 in the DFW area... yay for global cooling! :D