1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNBC Editor blames Obama's Stimulus for recent stock woes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by stanleykurtz, Mar 4, 2009.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Okierock, let's say somebody's dog takes a sh-t on the sidewalk, and that after this, you invent a magic crap multiplying machine, using some form of alchemy, and then multiply the crap into millions of tons of crap.

Then you build a fleet of tricked-out zepplelins that criss-cross the globe, outfitted with special crap dispersal devices. You rain crap down upon the known world to the point that crap is literally everywhere and touching everything.

Now, the next day happens. People are mad about the crap being everywhere. Who is at fault, the dog owner or you? It's true that the dog's contribution was essential - but as to where the comparative fault lies, the dog's part of it is very small, and the subsequent crap multiplication and spreading is not foreseeable from the dog owner's point of view. Accordingly, most of the fault is allocated to another party. This makes a lot of sense to me, and in fact that's why we have incorporated it into our legal system as means of allocating responsibility.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know what annoys me the most. Is that even after the election is over, you have people acting like it isn't. You'd think everyone would get behind the country and the president for a few weeks at least.

I mean, politics is so strange when you think of partisans. They are so irrational because they look at the other side and think - they offer nothing.

They THINK that. Or at least the partisans in this board do.

But that's so ridiculous - each side has done so much for the country. Republians have really lowered taxes from 70% to a much lower rate to help encourage investment. Reagan made a big difference. But then they try to go to extremes with it. Deregulation is great, but not to the point where companies start abusing the countries interests.

Dems have done so much to create a stable republic. Their progressive views have created equal rights for all, have tried to create opportunity for all, and protect the citizens to ensure they are able to not only be free in their own country, but also breathe clean air and health.

Why does one side demonize the other so much? I mean, do you republican die hards really want to live in a country where 25% of the country lives in abject poverty? Is that good for your kids? Is that wise? Do you think you can create a wall and seperate yourselves from it forever?

Do dems really want to to expand gov't breuarcracy to the point that getting any business done is more of a nightmare? Do you realize how hard it is to do simple things when dealing with the gov't?

C'mon people - can we get past a bit of this petty bickering about demonizing or angelicizing one guy or another and just say we are all really scared about what's going on and hope that whatever the President and Congress comes up with that it succeeds - whether or not we agree with it?

3. stanleykurtz

stanleykurtz Member

I was rooting for President Obama, but it only took a week in office for him to prove he is going to be a terrible President. He spread pessimism in an ailing economy, he slandered the banking profession as a whole, he made an overture to Iran that was immediately used as propaganda by Tehran, and his stimulus package helped tank the stock market even further.

Read what Jim Cramer, a man who voted for Obama, says about the first few months of Obama's term-

Huh? Backup? Look at the incredible decline in the stock market, in all indices, since the inauguration of the president, with the drop accelerating when the budget plan came to light because of the massive fear and indecision the document sowed: Raising taxes on the eve of what could be a second Great Depression, destroying the profits in healthcare companies (one of the few areas still robust in the economy), tinkering with the mortgage deduction at a time when U.S. house price depreciation is behind much of the world's morass and certainly the devastation affecting our banks, and pushing an aggressive cap and trade program that could raise the price of energy for millions of people. The market's the effect; much of what the president is fighting for is the cause. The market's signal can't be ignored. It's too palpable, too predictive to be ignored, despite the prattle that the market's predicted far more recessions than we have.

Gibbs went on to say, "If you turn on a certain program, it's geared to a very small audience. No offense to my good friends or friend at CNBC, but the president has to look out for the broader economy and the broader population." How much I wish it were true right now that stocks played less of a role in peoples' lives. But stocks, along with housing, are our principal forms of wealth in this country. Only the people who have lifetime tenure, insured solid pensions and rent homes but own no stocks personally are unaffected. Sure that's a lot of people, but believe me, they aspire to have homes and portfolios. If we only want to help those who have no wealth to destroy, we are not helping the majority of Americans; we are not helping the broader population. You can argue, of course, that Obama inherited one of the worst hands in the world. I had been a relentless critic of the Bush administration's "stewardship" of the economy, calling repeatedly for changes to avert the disaster that I saw coming, although perhaps Gibbs hasn't seen my CNBC meltdown. Seemed pretty prescient to me. I, like everyone else, have made less authoritative and wrong statements in the past, but that rant still stands as something that I am sure everyone in the Bush administrations' Treasury and Fed listened to. My calls to sell 20% of your stocks in September at Dow 11,000 and then all of your stock if you need the money for the next five years at Dow 10,000 in October, might have eluded Gibbs, too.

But Obama has undeniably made things worse by creating an atmosphere of fear and panic rather than an atmosphere of calm and hope. He's done it by pushing a huge amount of change at a very perilous moment, by seeking to demonize the entire banking system and by raising taxes for those making more than $250,000 at the exact time when we need them to spend and build new businesses, and by revoking deductions for funds to charity that help eliminate the excess supply of homes. We had a banking crisis coming into this regime, but now every area is in crisis. Each day is worse than the previous one for this miserable economy and while Obama's champions cite the stimulus plan, it's really just a hodgepodge of old Democratic pork and will not create nearly as many manufacturing or service jobs as we hoped.

I suppose Jim Cramer knows nothing about our economy either? (cue the OMG, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA comments)

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Another day, another massive drop for the markets. Every time Geithner opens his mouth the market takes a dump.

....but....I thought Barack said that stocks are "potentially a good buy, if you have a long term horizon". I feel that hope, brother. I feel it.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Post #51, second video.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Stewart doesn't know what he's talking about. He's preaching to the uneducated masses who only have the most superficial understanding of financial markets.

It's clear that the market has zero confidence in the Obama administration's plans

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I have never understood the situation as clearly as I do now. I feel like I need a shower, but I have a visceral understanding etched in my brain.

Thanks, Sam.

8. rimrocker

HAHAHA! Your response makes it even funnier... and prescient.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Umm - the same Jim Cramer on CNBC??? I wouldn't take financial advice from him or CNBC:

<style type='text/css'>.cc_box a:hover .cc_home{background:url('http://www.comedycentral.com/comedycentral/video/assets/syndicated-logo-over.png') !important;}.cc_links a{color:#b9b9b9;text-decoration:none;}.cc_show a{color:#707070;text-decoration:none;}.cc_title a{color:#868686;text-decoration:none;}.cc_links a:hover{color:#67bee2;text-decoration:underline;}</style><div class='cc_box' style='position:relative'><a href='http://www.comedycentral.com' target='_blank' style='display:inline; float:left; width:60px; height:31px;'><div class='cc_home' style='float:left; border:solid 1px #cfcfcf; border-width:1px 0px 0px 1px; width:60px; height:31px; background:url("http://www.comedycentral.com/comedycentral/video/assets/syndicated-logo-out.png");'></div></a><div style='font:bold 10px Arial,Helvetica,Verdana,sans-serif; float:left; width:299px; height:31px; border:solid 1px #cfcfcf; border-width:1px 1px 0px 0px; overflow:hidden; color:#707070; position:relative;'><div class='cc_show' style='position:relative; background-color:#e5e5e5;padding-left:3px; height:14px; padding-top:2px; overflow:hidden;'><a href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/' target='_blank'>The Daily Show With Jon Stewart</a><span style='position:absolute; top:2px; right:3px;'>M - Th 11p / 10c</span></div><div class='cc_title' style='font-size:11px; color:#868686; background-color:#f5f5f5; padding:3px; padding-top:1px; line-height:14px; height:21px; overflow:hidden;'><a href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=220252&title=cnbc-gives-financial-advice' target='_blank'>CNBC Gives Financial Advice</a></div></div><embed style='float:left; clear:left;' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:220252' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed><div class='cc_links' style='float:left; clear:left; width:358px; border:solid 1px #cfcfcf; border-top:0px; font:10px Arial,Helvetica,Verdana,sans-serif; color:#b9b9b9; background-color:#f5f5f5;'><div style='width:177px; float:left; padding-left:3px;'><a target='_blank' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/index.jhtml'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a><br /><a target='_blank' href='http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/important_things/index.jhtml'>Important Things With Demetri Martin</a></div><div style='width:177px; float:left;'><a target='_blank' href='http://www.indecisionforever.com'>Political Humor</a><br /><a target='_blank' href='http://www.jokes.com'>Joke of the Day</a></div><div style='clear:both'></div></div><div style='clear:both'></div></div>

10. Major

Major Member

Except when it doesn't - yesterday, for example.

11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I don't know what industry you work in but I hope it is not the energy industry. Obama's new budget provides for a $30 Billion + tax increase on this nation's oil and natural gas producers. He strips most of the incentives to explore and produce gas here in the US. This will crush the domestic producers incentives to drill. This will cost thousands of jobs. People may say "good they have been making too much anyway" those same people will be paying those taxes in their energy bills.

If you live in Texas this is bad and I damn sure would like to see it Demonized.

12. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I like your analogy, I really do but the problem is the "magic crap multiplying machine". In this case the crap is bad loans and the multiplier is legislation designed to squeeze as much crap out of that poor dog as possible.

The mental picture you create is priceless though, thanks.

13. rimrocker

And the telephone crushed the telegraph which crushed the Pony Express.

Time for a change before it is absolutely forced upon us.

[​IMG]

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

^^^I've read that ND alone could power over 1/3 of the entire US with wind power.

15. rimrocker

[​IMG]

16. rhadamanthus

^^^That's a great picture. Someone phone Palin and let her know that the aleutian islands are gold mine (I think they are wildlife sanctuaries, actually?). I bet she could see Russia better from there too.

17. Artesticle

Artesticle Member

That's because congress failed to pass the the Pony Express bailout of 1862 and then the telegraph bailout of 1935.

18. rhadamanthus

I laughed.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Short-term sacrafice for a long term sounder future. That money will go into building out new energy industries. So if the oil and natural gas industries suffer a bit and shed a few thousand jobs, who cares if the investment into new technologies create 10's of thousands of jobs of the future.

It's too bad the energy companies don't do more to re-invest their wealth into becoming the energy companies of tomorrow - instead of buying up land and rights to drill but never doing anything with them...they don't need too - there's no such thing as an energy shortage for an energy company afterall.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Well you both have the analogy wrong. Here's how it is:

A dog (someone who gets a loan they shouldn't get) takes a crap (gets a mortagage).

The guy who fed the dog that crap then takes the crap and sells it to a crap warehouse. The warehouse takes all the dog craps that have been collected and puts it into it's warehouse.

There's not a big fat warehouse entirely full of crap.

The warehouse finds someone to service the crap because they just collect it, and don't want to deal with all the stink. The servicer then works with the warehouse to find a bank. The bank than buys all the craps and mushes it together and slices it into dried out crap slices.

The rating agencies stop and say - hey, that's crap just sliced up! So the banks do some more cutting up, treatment, and make the slices a bit thicker - so it no looks like baloney.

The banks then tell the rating agencies - hey, we sell you a lot of business by the way. The rating agencies say, "hey, it's cool, this is baloney"

The banks then sell the baloney to investors, other banks (like AIG), and keep some of it themselves unaware that the baloney might actually be crap.

Meanwhile...the dogs are having trouble making the crap because they don't have enough dog food. So the crap is thinner. Without as much crap, the crap slices look less like baloney - get thinner and thinner - and everyone goes - holy crap, my baloney is just a bunch of worthless crap!!!!