1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clyde Drexler is just repeating what Bill Worrell says

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 15, 2006.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has anyone else noticed this?

Bill: "You know it was a matter of time before the Spurs are going to make a run"
    Clyde: "It looks like the Spurs are going to make a run"

we need this guy:
    [​IMG]

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Clyde: Yes, we need that guy. He is all-out hustle.

3. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Yeah, he's no Cynthia Cooper...

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I love Clyde, but was amused by one comment last night. To paraphrase...'it often comes down to which team makes the baskets'. Uh..ok. :D

5. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I love when he does his Deke impersonation once a game.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

me too...

"not in my house"

DD

7. dram1

dram1 Member

Bill during a preseason game..."The Rockets will be a team to be reckoned with . What do you think Clyde?"

Clyde: Well Bill, the Rockets have made some good moves this offseason, like the Greek guard, Spalloolis, and will be a team to be reckoned with."

At times the camera will cut to them and we get to see what they are doing. Bill will be looking at his stat sheet or something and Clyde will be mumbling about something that Bill probably already said. Bill looks up and his eyes will wonder everywhere else but Clyde, seemingly bored of his commentary or just wishing he would end it sort of like his retirement speech that lasted 5 minutes.

Definitely agree...Clyde could definitely Glide, but when it comes to broadcasting, he needs to Hide.

Bring back Murph!!!!!!!!!!!

8. dram1

dram1 Member

Make that 45 minutes on that speech!

9. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

i can't stand "nothing but net"...it's getting old...

10. dram1

dram1 Member

BTW...Bull isn't that much better. He is obviously knowledgable about the game, but he sound like the teacher from Saved by the Bell or that guy from the Clear Eyes commercial. Boring....

Calvin was the best. He was cool, and very knowledgeable. I rember when he would recognize different defensive schemes as teams were playing them and call out Rudy with things like " I cant believe Rudy is still playing that style of offense with that defense against us. THe only way to beat that is..."

He knew his sh%t!!

11. yo

yo Contributing Member

You guys are leaving out his most said phrases:

"That's called, domination"
    "That's called, taking it to the hole"
    "That's called, setting a pick"

That's called, EVERYTHING. Just say what the person did! and leave out, that's called....

12. dram1

dram1 Member

What is wierd is that he called nothing but net on a dunk and once on a rim clanker that fell in.

His verbal arsenal is obviously not very extensive.

13. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I still prefer Clyde & Bull over Calvin Murphy. I had gotten tired of hearing Murph talking about himself throughout the whole game. I like when he talked X & O's which wasn't too often. Most of the time it was about talk about his himself back in da day & how fine he looked. Who cares!

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL.

Both Drex and Bull are awful. People think Bull is good but that's because they're comparing him to Drexler.

GOD, I miss Calvin. He's more knowledgable than Drex/Bull, he has more personality than Drex/Bull, he was more at ease behind the mic than Drex/Bull, and he and Worrell had the perfect chemistry.

Honestly, the games just aren't the same without Calvin.

15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Murph brings back memories of winning times for the Rockets. It would be a big mental boost for the fans. I just don't get it.

16. two-sandwiches

See guys you finish school and study hard, and you're successful if not you end up a bad broadcaster for rockets games....

17. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

I was going to say that. Some dood takes the paint off the rim on a shot and it's "nothing but net" to him. :rolleyes:

18. jdrock

jdrock Member

I like Bull's little explanations for certain plays, which he does once or twice a game. But aside from that, he doesn't have much going..

Something tells me we won't be seeing Calvin again, but I could be wrong. They will more likely replace Clyde with Mario Elie.

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, another good one from last night:

Bill: Now the Spurs are really showing their depth.
    Clyde: They have a deeep bench!

I am having trouble with bill, though, this year as well. I wish he would stop saying the following:

"Rafer has had such an outstanding start to the season." No, Bill, he has done well shooting the 3 but he is under 40% overall and his assists are low with unusually high turnovers. Every game he has gone on and on about how well Rafer is playing.

"Juwan is money from midrange." and "Juwan is such a valuable part of the rotation." No, Bill, Juwan is a shaky shooter and is generally pretty crappy.

Clyde : "He knows his role." Then why does he still try to do crazy drives or back it in for a turnaround hook instead of pass to somebody better?

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

haha

classics