1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Clyde Drexler Commentary is Unbearable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Oct 13, 2007.

1. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Calvin Murphy? He's just a more interesting color commentator. Clyde is OK, but he doesn't really offer anything outside of a 1995 championship ring. Calvin at least makes me laugh.

2. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Oh my god. I love JVG. That guy speaks the truth and actually has a nice sense of humor.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

His commentary is just awful. Bill, Bull, and Clyde are all huge homers, but at least Bill and Bull don't say dumb stuff constantly.

4. PeppermintCandy

And if he were asked who are the four small forwards ahead of Ariza on his list, you'd be lucky to get three names. He just makes stuff up on the spot without thinking, and of course no one calls him on it.

The guy is just cashing in checks because he's a bball legend. The flipside of Frazier of the Knicks.

5. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Yeah, Frazier actually knows what he's talking about and from what I heard, he's not a homer. Clyde sounds like a 10 year kid who just got interested in basketball.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/sf

So what's ridiculous about his statement? Name me five guys that are clearly above Ariza.

Bron
    KD
    Melo
    Kawhi?
    ?

7. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Rudy Gay
    Gordon Hayward
    Luol Deng
    and maybe Nic Batum

Those guys are all also better than Ariza. I like him a lot, but when it comes to ranking players, im far from a homer. And there's no question mark after Kawhi's name. That guy is no doubt better than Ariza is.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Those four plus arguably:
    Iggy
    Deng
    Hayward
    Batum

I wouldn't say those guys are unarguably better than Ariza, but I think most GMs would probably take them instead of him.

9. HRox832

HRox832 Member

You can also add Rudy Gay. Also, no way in hell is Iggy even a top 10 SF anymore. 7 points, 2 assists, and 3 rebounds in 27 mpg, shooting at 48%? C'mon now... gimme a break lol. Iggy is nothing like what he used to be, at all.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Iggy, Deng and Batum have below average seasons. Hayward is better, I give you that. But impact-wise Ariza it's clearly not far-fetched to name Ariza top 5 or close to top 5.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

C'mon guys, stop taking everything Clyde says so seriously.

"You learn to love 'em"

"Slimy, yet satisfying!"

(difficulty 2/10)

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Waaay too early to be defining players by what they've done this season. We're not even 25% of the way to the end of the season. Iggy is still in the top 2-3 wing defenders in the league, and that + his long history counts for something IMO.

13. cml750

cml750 Member

Too bad ROOT Sports did not move Calvin back to the booth. I think Calvin with Bull and Worrell would make an awesome team. I do have to say that after watching a lot of streams from other teams announcers on crappy streams the last two seasons (ugh!!!! CSN :mad:) the Rockets team is one of the best, even with Clyde, and that is not being a homer. Most of the other teams announcers truly suck. Even though our guys are homers, they are actually pretty good calling out bad calls even when they benefit the Rockets. They are also good at giving other teams credit when it is due!!!

#173 cml750, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Last year WS/48:
    Hayward- .062
    Deng- .132 for Chi, .077 for Cle
    Batum- .128
    Iggy- .135
    Gay- .114
    Ariza- .141

Ariza is the highest this year as well.

Ariza is the superior 3pt shooter in this group.

And as far as defense, well, you've seen it. The Rockets are #1 in defensive efficiency in no small part thanks to Ariza.

Does Ariza have his weaknesses? Sure. He can't create or handle the ball. But those guys have their issues to.

Best of all? Ariza is the cheapest.

Drexler says a lot of dumb stuff. I've decided to just turn on the radio during games.

But this wasn't one of his dumb comments. (Although he was still talking out of his arse).

15. cml750

cml750 Member

On the whole, Ariza has played well this year, especially on defense. but it sure will be nice when he gets his three stroke back more consistently. In ths offense, he gets some nice looks from three which he needs to hit!!!

16. PeppermintCandy

In my post I wasn't talking about the statement's veracity, but Drexler's penchant to just spew stuff out without really thinking about it. My bet is he doesn't really have anyone in mind when he says so and so is a top 5 in his position.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You're right.

It's like when he called Rafer Alston a black horse candidate for the All-Star game.

18. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I love JVG too, sad thing is, I can't stand to listen to him because he commentates with Mark Jackson, who is just all kinds of idiot.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I remember when Clyde called Rafer Alston "a borderline Allstar."

This TV Clyde Drexler character has to be some form of ironic performance art.

20. kemah

kemah Member

I love Drexler but he is inept on court commenter. Now Calvin is a real good studio commenter. I wait for his analysis which is not Homer at all. I loved Calvin as a court commentator and was a huge fan of his my whole life almost. He is now much older and am wondering if he could handle the home court side commentary at the least. Very few come close to Murphy in analysis that we should use him as much as possible while we have him.

Drexler needs to retire. I love Clyde and actually watched most of his college games at home personally but he is not what is needed courtside.