1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clyde Drexler Commentary is Unbearable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Oct 13, 2007.

1. DreamRoxCoogFan

ever heard andre ware for the texans this season? hes actually REALLY good. and no, im not being a homer or w/e, but he really does great color commentary and always adds something useful. whenever I hear him talk, I just think about how drexler shouldnt even be there... lets just put it this way- if theres ever a "call of the Night" on ESPN with the Rockets, clyde and bill will NEVER be on it, even when gene and jim are gone.

2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

There are AT LEAST 5 threads about how horrible Clyde is every season

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Do you not remember who was here before Clyde?

Cooper couldn't put a coherent sentence together because she made so many mistakes...and Van had that pretty unbearable southern twang.

Drexler may make some head-scratching comments from time to time...but he can actually speak pretty well on the air and has developed a pretty nice chemistry with Bill...Bullard offers more insightful commentary but the trade off is that he can be a little boring.

I really doubt there's anyone better out there at the moment (well, at least a former Rocket)...and Calvin is not an option...doubtful Les will ever bring him back and honestly, at this point, I've moved on.

-as a sidenote, I actually saw Lisa Malosky reporting on American Gladiators the other day on ESPN classic! Had no idea she used to be on that show.

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

If JVG wants to keep a low profile he should take Clyde's spot doing only home games.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

not as much as FIRE GUNDY, thread.

6. Zinc

Zinc Member

Indeed, I love JVG commentary from years ago after he quit Knix, he was insightful, funny and witty.

7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Think about it for a minute...

Clyde's just a happy go lucky guy!

He made a ****load of money playing a game meant for children, and now he gets to supplement those riches by sitting on his ass and talking about that same game on TV.

Hell, who wouldn't be happy under those circumstances? I know I would. Especially if I knew all I had to do to keep getting paid was to kick back and let people worship me for nothing!

All he ever had to do in life was be good at a sport. Turned out he was REALLY good at it. Local boy makes good sort of thing. He's been able to milk one hell of a career out of that combination, and so he laughs all the time!

Is he a good broadcaster?

Not particularly, but he's Clyde Freakin' Drexler! He's a diplomat and an ambassador and a Houston legend. He never hurt anybody, never made an ass out of himself, never got arrested, never screwed his own kids, never stole from the city, never wore a bright orange suit with white leather shoes and a purple peacock feather, all he ever did was be himself for better or for worse.

And there ain't much wrong with that as far as I'm concerned...

Clyde can't dance, he can't coach, he can't broadcast, but how can you not like the guy?

He's like an old man at the barbershop.

Clyde's like your grandfathers brother, the one who always gives you his spare change and acts like he's happy to see you, even though you know that deep down he can't even really remember what your damn name is...

Clyde Drexler. Gotta love that guy!

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Worrell is only barely better. I nearly spit all over my keyboard after hearing him say Rafer had a phenomenal season last year.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Bill is a legend.

Now go wash your mouth out with soap;

10. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Terrific post...

I don't know people can dislike Clyde. He reminds me of a happy grandpa.

^_^

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I really don't understand the hate. Like was stated he isn't a great announcer, but he isn't obnoxious or offensive. He's nice, and he's likable.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he reminds me that Calvin was such an awesome commentator and we took him for granted.

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Stop disrespecting Clyde Drexler, hypocrite.

Clyde Drexler is here to stay. Deal with it, Houston heroes hater.

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

14. tinman

Supporting Member

ok Achilleus,
    you asked for it... :cool:

15. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

put the game on the radio man its peterson and foleys last year

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Now that Juwan is with the T-Wolves, I wonder who Clyde will call a gazelle next.

Scola? Yao? Mutombo?

17. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

You guys are so harsh on the glide. He may be unrealistic, but come on. I don't know...it just seems a little disloyal to rag on him so hard. Forget game commentary anyways, its usually drivel on other channels as well.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

no one hates Clyde as a person or a basketball player.

there are just some things one just isn't good at. for Clyde, that's dancing and commentating. with a basketball in his hands, he's Jordanesqe. with a microphone, he's the free throw shooting Chris Dudley of commentators.

19. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

06-07 season

Juwan howard always step out on the court, and gives 100%..He's a consent professional, a great team player, and is always a great guy to be around..

20. tinman

Supporting Member

some people just don't understand it. Laker fans love Magic Johnson, the player.
    I don't think they enjoyed Magic the coach, Magic the talk show host compared to Phil Jackson and Jay Leno.

And Magic is the Icon of the Lakers.