1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] X-Factor: The Impact of Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Roxs-Redemption

Great read, GBRocket.
    I always enjoy reading your articles. Keep up the good work.

Hopefully he will get even better as he develop the starting role.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I've got to say that I was big on getting a PF before but TJones has me intrigued to see more. I was thinking that Milsap would be a good fit, but now I'd rather pass and see how how high Jones can climb.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He's only 21. Jones get it. He'll be fine.

Dude would have went top 5 if he came out after HS.

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

Nice player; but, guys, I think his true calling is comedy. I saw the dreidel song at the Toyota Center tonight and it's on Rockets.com, now. just look at it, and you'll see what I am talking about. The deadpan expression the wide eyes, the sound effects. Good player, comedy genius!

5. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

Fans might not be impress with Howard, but damn does he control so much presence. TJones is completely taking advantage of this fact. TJones will continue to prosper here.

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Cool story

Would read again

Seriously, thanks. I'm hopeful he can keep it up and improve on d.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great article!

Terence Jones has been my favorite player this season the way he has worked on his game to get to this point. He clearly sees his opportunity and isn't letting go. We are seeing the fruits of his labors with all of those minutes played in the Summer League and with the Vipers. The difference this year is he is more COMFORTABLE on the court. He is seeing things.

I LOVE his movement without the ball. And he can score without the Rockets going to him. Great compliment to Howard/Harden.

The fact that Jones has a good enough 3pt shot to stretch the D is awesome. He has the athleticism to block shots and get ally-oops. He has decent enough handles to drive. And for the most part doesn't foul while playing defense. He doesn't "reach," and instead uses his feet.

I think his next step is keeping his energy up to player longer in the game. Would love to see his minutes increased and maybe over time get some time in the game when Howard is not in there to even feature him some. But, one step at a time.

I always had the most faith in Terence Jones over our other young bigs, but honestly never thought he was starter material and was wondering if he even would get to Carl Landry level as a solid rotational PF. But to me Jones has surpassed that as is becoming a solid NBA PF starter.

Very exciting!

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't predict people's mentality. The question with Jones has never been talent or whether he's capable of playing like he has been lately, it's always been whether or not he has the mentality to do so through the grind and tough times.

That's why I am cautiously, and I do mean cautiously, optimistic but containing any excitement.

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Dude is looking like an MIP candidate. Vastly improved in almost every aspect of his game.

10. PeppermintCandy

Agree with this. Playing next to Howard has got to open up things offensively for Jones. Asik wasn't able to take advantage of this, but Jones is obviously making the most out of the opportunity.

11. Classic

Classic Member

Enjoying the progress young fella. He looked real good last night. The guy is a legit 2 way player.

12. pnr

pnr Member

I hope he's in the Rookie/Soph game.

13. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

Awesome read. Part of me hopes we keep Asik all year, go deep in the playoffs, and then sell high on Asik during the offseason. I really like the team chemistry and how much all the guys seem to be enjoying themselves. Granted... players enjoy winning and we're not going to win every game, so I'll be interested to see how jovial we are after a bad spell.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

15. J Hard

J Hard Member

??
    Parsons got noticed because of highlight put back slams, and then for his defense. That's more "hood" ball than Jones reading the defense and making perfect timed cuts to the basket or being in the right places on offense and defense. He has a great feel for the game and makes the correct play majority of the time.
    That's more about bball IQ and fundamentals more than anything.

1 person likes this.
  16. Remii

Remii Member

I've always been a fan of Jones. Every since I saw him at the Vegas Summer League Games isolating 25-30 feet away from the basket and either breaking the defense down off the dribble and going in for the dunk and or pulling up for the outside shot. That's when I found out that Jones grew up as a point guard and I believe recruited to Kentucky as a wing player and he grew and they moved him down low... I think this kid is just scratching the surface and because Howard doesn't command the ball, TJ will be able to blossom playing next to him.

His confidence has to be sky high having Harden's endorsement... Harden did have TJ right in Cali with him after he was through at the Orlando games... It's going to be interesting to see if they try to get TJ more involved in the offense.

17. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

lol

[​IMG]

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I don't agree, if you watched them closely you'll see that Parsons is just a book of fundamentals. But, Jones has been making some real good adjustments since he got the starting job.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Da** good article GBRocket.

20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Jones has really stomped all his critics so far this season, and made them look like bums. His range has really increased and you can see the his footwork has improved.