1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why Alperen Sengun will come off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

Bruno/Garuba starting increases KPJ' and JG4' stats, and so our losses. That is what I want and is cool. We may have the worst defensive backcourt in NBA, but they are young and we are not trying to win anything. Since we are tanking, pls don't bother me with emotions of other 20 year olds. Sengun is unfortunately a tiktok/instagram wannabe, who has years to prove that he belongs to an NBA bench lol. He should have stopped talking to the ball, decreased his shot release to less than half a second this summer. Instead, we european fans followed his beach club parties and date news in local magazine tvs. Starting him against other team's bench players is a gift to him, which I am sure he would have asked for anyways.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

and as a result Sengun gets more opportunities that he wouldn't otherwise get with more guys that need the ball with a lineup of minus 1-2 starters

CircaSurvive likes this.
  3. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Member

Such a shame for Houston.

AL P should request trade from Rockets asap.

Rockets made also a huge mistake to extend KPJ's contract. He is a terrible and selfish guard with some behaviour problems.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Then we wouldn't have KPjr or the Milwaukee pick.
    Probably not Smith either - we may have won 4-5 more games with Allen

Yung-T likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m not pretending that. I just disagree with this move and think it slows Sengun’s development who could possibly be an important part of our core at the expense of a career journeyman. Hope I’m wrong and we ride this experiment to the playoffs.

aaquaa likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

looks like they simply want a rim runner and lob threat and deem it a better fit with the backcourt and the uptempo style of play

makes me question Sengun’s fit here long-term as our C of the future because the guard play and uptempo style isn’t going anywhere any time soon

ashleyem, aaquaa and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Wow I was so hyped to watch our young guys play together and now I get this... what a bummer to start the season.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't think it does at all. It actually puts him in a better position to me with more opportunities with the ball. It doesn't make him play the game primarily in a role that he shouldn't be doing. just setting picks and roaming spots on the floor without the ball isn't doing him any favors

He'll still end up playing more minutes than him is what im expecting

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Well said. Looks like Silas’s toolbox is very limited.

swattx likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

here we go…

javal_lon likes this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think Sengun off the bench is the right move.

A. Fouls and defence. He has GOT to work on those areas of his game

B. Playmaking. This is one of Sengun's strengths, but I don't want him at the top of the arc running the plays instead of Green or KPjr in the first 5 minutes

C. He had the inside running at being the starting 5, but he lost it with his pre-season play. Which is fair - let's hope he takes it well and reinvigorates the 2nd unit (although he will probably come on after 5 minutes and play a lot with the starters anyway!)

D. I really like Sengun, but let's not get overly excited here, he is possibly at a Josh Christopher level currently and, although talented, needs to improve

Richie_Rich likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

JC actually pisses me off more than KPJ. JC has total tunnel vision. It's not exclusive to Sengun, but it appears that he deliberately ignores others who are open in general, and Alpi in particular.

Richie_Rich, aaquaa and Dovahkiin like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hoostan, it's not important who starts but who finishes games.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree 100 %. He is too good.

And yes, to the previous poster, I think he can be a top 3 player on a championship team.

I see him on the same level as Green and Jabari.

I hope that championship team will be the Rockets.

aaquaa likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Alp helps Jalen, a lot

aaquaa and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s behind Jalen. Should be behind Jabari but that isn’t a guarantee

aaquaa likes this.
  17. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

until they discover they need another gear and versatility on offence. I am getting more convinced that Silas doesn’t have much in his bag but I will still wait and see how much And in what way Sengun and Bruno plays with the starters.

Reeko likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

also how will this impact Jabari? Will Bari get these passes from Bruno to the corner that Sengun would see?

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that style does not win, it puts up stats for guards

DreamShook, aaquaa and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is the hard part for any team with a bunch of good prospects trying to step out of rebuild; who do we develop and build around on offense. In our case, it is Green. This not even something that should be up for debate. Everyone on this team ultimately needs to cater to what works best for him. Sengun right now is not that guy. He is a mediocre roll man and pinned to the paint due to a complete lack of range. Green needs the space that Sengun permanently occupies.

Moving Sengun to the 2nd team will allow him to hopefully better polish his post game while we work on his range behind the scenes. If he can’t develop his range (currently under 40% anywhere outside a paltry 3ft), he will have to be absolutely elite in the paint or he will never make it as a starter in the NBA.

Richie_Rich likes this.