1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why Alperen Sengun will come off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

My issue is he’ll be feeding Tate, KJM, and JC instead of Jabari, Green, and KPJ. It’s definitely a demotion for a scrub like Fernando.

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Love Şengun, but I don’t mind this. He doesn’t look ready to start yet. Tough call.

jcmoon, Richie_Rich and KingCheetah like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

How do you weed out those that don't fit unless you try to see if they fit or at least attempt develop players such that they fit? I do not see the benefit in balancing roster such that players learn how to beat teams trying to lose to them. Having a starting lineup that can go toe to toe with better teams will help more than trying to get a few more wins from the guys that won't be on the team long term.

Granted, I'm not sure if Sengun will fit long term, but if Porter is here long term, he needs to learn to play with Green and someone ball dominant like Sengun. The Rockets will at some point get a star that Porter and Green will have to work with.

aaquaa likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

In this next draft there is a decent chance that either KPJ or Sengun would be pushed to the bench. This is a precursor to that.

Sengun could be great as the first big off the bench. If it happens to KPJ and Scoot or another top guard is chosen he could come off the bench with Sengun if he can not accept that his contract is now what it is.

jcmoon likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

because it's pretty easy to see that in a lineup of kpj, green, eg, smith that you need a rim runner and finisher and someone to run pnr towards the basket. There's multiple guys in that lineup that need the ball. They're also committing to playing up tempo this year. Sengun's primary game isn't that. he also needs the ball in his hands whether as a facilitator or to score around the basket.

Every team that builds their team correctly and starts to have some level of success when rebuilding has been able to weed out players. It's actually part of the process.

#45 YOLO, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    SamFisher and Yung-T like this.
  6. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean Sengun was out of shape and always in foul trouble limiting his minutes …. There fixed it for you.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

meh…whatever

far more interested in how well Jalen will play in year 2 and how Jabari develops

Sengun will be in the SL eventually

Dobbizzle likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's coming off the bench because Wemby will be the starter next year anyway

jcmoon, SamFisher and ElPigto like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If Sengun is first off the bench and KPJ is the one playing PG we will know this is sabotage for wemby.

If Sengun is off the bench at least stagger Jalens minutes to play with him.

jcmoon, fchowd0311 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

That's exactly the point though. It's hard enough to learn the pick and roll if you have a roll man who know what they're doing, even harder if both sides are trying to learn it. Makes more sense to run Bruno (who can roll) with the backcourt future stars to develop, then run Sengun with the second unit where he can be more ball-dominant, and learn to play the pick and roll with players like Ego instead who already know how to do it and make it work. Makes it easier on both ends. Bigs also tend to take longer to develop (unless they can shoot the 3 like a 2 guard) so letting Sengun flex against the second string is a way better idea than putting him in to get run over constantly by the actual star bigs in the league.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It fits with what I and many others saw recently, Sengun not being a great fit for the fast small ball and guard-centric play we have.

After getting their hands on Bari&Tari in this draft, it's clear that 4/5 of our best talents (including KPJ&Green) are best at this style and that someone like Sengun seemed really out of place on many possessions when the team runs up and down the court.

I think this move makes a lot more sense, as Sengun can't be utilized that well in this offense and also lacks rebounding, so even though many love his individual talent and what he can bring, he's not the best fit currently and that's more important.

When you have four talents (KPJ, Green, Bari, Tari) that are made for a fast motion offense, there's no way you change that style just to get Sengun more touches.

KingCheetah and xaos like this.
  12. a time to chill

Amazing how far Bruno Fernando came to steal the starting center spot, only playing 11 min per game last season.

I understand getting more touches playing second string may be the wiser choice, but I think there's still a place for Sengun on the starting lineup if he plays PF. He can learn to be a good fit with both Green and Smith. Green and KPJ aren't as "ball-dominant" as people believe. I thought Silas was developing Green to learn to play off-ball last season while KPJ was developing as PG. Also, Sengun can help take the load from KPJ when it comes to setting up plays. Sometimes you can have KPJ bring it up the court and other times you can have Sengun set things up. Sengun has top-tier-level playmaking ability that the starting lineup could use.

You could have a lineup of KPJ, Green, Smith, Sengun, and Fernando. Make Eric Gordon come off the bench and lead the second unit: Nix/Washington, Gordon/Christopher, Tate/Mathews, KJ Martin/Eason, Garuba/Boban

Drift Monkey likes this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i dont love this decision because Fernando will be the worst starter on the floor for about 98% of games.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m not a Sengun only fan. I think he is probably going to end up the 4th or 5th best player on the roster, but setting him up to operate with the likes of Tate and JC is idiotic. Fernando is a career backup at best and on most teams he is in the 12 to 15 player role.

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

lets be real here: Sengun isn't starting because Silas has no real plays. You have to scheme for Sengun to be effective. Silas is a roll the ball out there coach.

Also Bruno makes KPJ better and Silas loves KPJ.

Sengun should start with Jabari and Bruno should come off the bench with KPJ running as point.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

stop acting like he's never going to be in the game with any starters. and that its going to be 5 in and 5 out subbing. Because that's false narrative

Monkeychef02 likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Gordon shouldn’t be starting. If Sengun is coming off the bench he will need a couple of space makers. This is really stupid in my opinion.

Drift Monkey and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

we know Gordon is starting. So your real problem is somewhere else then. and again stop acting like he is never going to see the floor with any starters

19. TimDuncanDonaut

You have a point here. The only thing I'll add is that KPJ is going into this 4th NBA year, not including highschool / college, where even it he was a wing, he must have done some pick n' roll in his basketball life. Some two man game. Is he young, age-wise Yes. But he's not a new born; it's OK to keep getting better, but it feels like some of these guys are really starting late in life.

My opinion matter less as it sounds like Silas already decided on the starting lineup; there's no point in me arguing the other way. Let's see (again), another year, how this thing plays out. Because Wood and Theis apparently doesn't count and those 'practice' never counted,

Also, is the Rockets lineup hierarchy so rigid, that a team need a whole year to pivot. Bruno was here last year too, should have gotten more time. Wood was front billing, but fans saw the end of road much ahead than Silas and Stone.

Re-suffling lineups is normal in a rebuild. but after the number of fail lineup attempts, we as fans, should start preaching: "measure twice, cut once".

#59 TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

That’s true, but he will have less time with the starters and more time with JC, Nix, and Tate.