1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why Alperen Sengun will come off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say Clutch is toting the company line. He had his share of criticism against some of management's decisions. (Remember this piece about the Westbrook trade? https://rockets.clutchfans.net/11664/houston-rockets-sacrifice-future-russell-westbrook/) Feigan on the other hand has his livelihood depending on his access to the Rockets.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It's not just about fit. It's about allowing Sengun the opportunity for more touches. The rockets are trying to develop multiple players at the same time but KPJ/Jalen/Sengun require the most touches to reach their max potential. Sengun is also a special case in that due to his play style he could either be an mvp candidate or out of the league. He can be dominant in the post and an elite playmaker and that would cover the athleticism/defense deficiencies. He needs the freedom and reps to do his thing to show that and not share all his minutes with guys trying to develop their on ball skills as well. The bench guys NEED someone to create for them so you kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

If we're comparing strictly to KPJ, KPJ has a lower ceiling and a higher floor. Sengun is younger and will experience the highs and lows. His effort could make him the next Jokic or the next Kanter. The reps away from KPJ/Jalen will be what hones his skills finding cutters (KJ/Tari/Tate) instead of rim running and spotting up.

Corrosion and Easy like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I like your stance but I didn't say it was all Silas' fault.

On the contrary, I think Fertitty and Stone knew full well they were getting this emo type of soft coach, they were fully on board with it thru thick and thin.

Sengun will be a starter in this league and even All Star maybe, may that be on the Rockets or on another team, I am not too worried about his career trajectory as Poster Ankara puts it.

clutchdabear, Ankara1923 and Easy like this.
  4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

And if the Rockets choose KPJ over Sengun they will regret the day he signs with another team and destroys us.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Exes have proven to do just that and not just the Rockets....

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I also think the Rox knew that Russ was a short term project to appease Harden at the time and they hoped to bind him. Wasn't working.

It was controversial but it was clear as day why they had to do it.

It was contending or bust, totally different than now.

Easy likes this.
  8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Me to Sengun.

DC6D65E2-B190-4DEC-B10D-B09DE9AA1B0C.jpeg

DreamShook, Boii, clos4life and 4 others like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. The point remains. Are they going to keep Sengun as their future 6th man or are they going to start him sometime down the road? If it's the latter, then they need to develop it now, not later. We only have one more season to suck and still be happy.

If Sengun needs the reps to hone his skills, the other starters also need the reps playing with him. Like I said, it's not going to be as easy as throwing alleyoops to Fernando in PnR. It will take time and repetitions to make the system work that maximizes all our talents.

If they think that it's impossible to work, then they should consider getting rid of him.

That said, I can think of one thing that may make sense for this arrangement. Maybe Sengun needs to be a good shooter in order for it to work. So they are watching whether he will develop the shot. If he does, then he will be inserted into the starting lineup. If not, they will eventually let him go. This is the same situation for KPJ. He needs to show that he as the starting PG is our future in this two seasons. If not, he will eventually be let go.

clos4life likes this.
  10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol JVG had Rafer Alston. The original and 1 mix tape guard. All kidding aside. The only thing that stopped that backcourt was that we traded it for T mac.

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The exact opposite seems the case to me. Last season Alpi struggled against bigs -- Valenciunas, Zubac, Gobert, Jokic, etc. Most of his best games were against the longer, quicker types like Wenyen Gabriel, Siakam and the Raptors bigs, etc.

Given that, his ability to score and play well vs Adams is an improvement and encouraging sign.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it is pretty interesting that Silas refuses to have the center iniate offense at the high post. Sengun was used as a back-down big last night and while that's fine use of his iso scoring ability, not giving him the ball to operate initially is a waste of his talent and skillset.

Imaging Green + Sengun in an Adelman-esque offense is salivating. Especially consdering the floor spacing Jabari would provide. The man had Brad Miller and Kevin Martin looking like all-stars in that offense.

#532 Bo6, Oct 22, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  13. conquistador#11

This might be a wrong comparison for many reasons but look at what the Warriors do. They make it work with 4 guys that need 14+ Fgs plus a donkey.
    That's how I'm trying to look at things.
    (# shots our Starting Rockets should put up)
    Curry 19FGs (Green)
    Wiggins 14 Fgs (Jabari)
    Klay Thompson 18FGs ( KPJ. It's a little high for a pg but oh well )
    Poole 14fgs (Sengun)
    Dreymond 6fgs ( Eason)

Putting Eason at SF would be beneficial and he can clean up the boards too. Eason can be your lob guy on pick and rolls and clean up the boards. Sengun always, gets an open 3 for his teammate when he sets a pick just has to cut out the in between the leg pass. Finally, Jabari can set the pick for pick and pop plays. This would require some serious board drawing talents tho. Inserting Bruno is easy.
    My point is you can make it work with guys that need a lot of touches. It's not an excuse.

Another problem, there are just so many lovable rockets! What happens when Tate gets back ?

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    YES!!!

Drift Monkey likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Garuba!

Nook likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Alpi’s natural bball iq is the highest on the team. Even when he’s getting turnovers it’s just from being stupid and too fancy. He’s the opposite of KPJ. Sees open man passes to open man.

17. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Correction:

Looks for open man. Sees open man, passes open man. KPJ and JC fail at the first step.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"Silas is too soft as evidenced by him being a big meanie to my favorite player"

maj21 likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Preseason had a lot of this and it sucked

maj21 likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Even Adelman needed a whole season to make it work with experienced veterans. I don't think you should give up with these kids after a few preseason games.

Bo6 and AroundTheWorld like this.