1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why Alperen Sengun will come off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 19, 2022.

1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sengun is our Center and it does not matter if he starts or not he is a 20 and 10 guy. Wood was our Center last year and he was a 20 and 10 guy but he was soft, whining and never would play defense. Sengun is not very athletic but he is tough and has a high basketball IQ than Wood. Adding Fernando makes us a bigger team and cannot be push around anymore.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think Luc and Silas are in on this plan, but Raf might be. Does Silas have what it take when we decide to turn the switch and become winners?

peleincubus likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Half of me is hoping the Rockets are trying to plump up KPJ so he's a valuable trade chip moving forward. He's on an extremely team friendly contract. At worst he has decent averages and team in desperate need for a scoring punch might trade a 1st or a couple of 1sts for him. Dejounte got that and I don't think he's that much better than KPJ. Worst case you ride out his contract and bring him off the bench.

The other half of me thinks the Rockets are actually invested in him and are designing the team around him. I want to believe that they're smarter than this but....I'm not so sure.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This has been my beef about this whole "Sengun doesn't fit the starting unit therefore let him come off the bench" thing.

Everybody knows a rim runner fits well with ball dominant guards like KPJ. It's not hard for KPJ and Green to have chemistry with a guy like Fernando. But fitting them with Sengun's skill set needs time, A LOT of time, to develop. Why don't they try to do it in this not-care-about-winning season? I think it is kind of lazy to say, "Oh, it's too hard to do. Let's not do it." Like I said earlier, if they plan to keep Sengun as a core piece, he will need to play with the starters in some time (unless you limit Sengun's minutes to about 10-12 mpg). You have to make it work at least for 10-15 mpg. Why not experiment it now while winning isn't a priority?

Of course, maybe they don't really plan on keeping Sengun long term.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I agree 100%. It is clear that Silas does not value the things Sengun can do. It is clear that Sengun has certain weaknesses (like every player) And apparently Silas values those skills more than the strengths Sengun has. I really like Sengun as a player. But it seem that what he brings to the table is not what Silas wants in a center. As a result he will use excuses why he isn't using him, and when he uses him he wants Sengun to do things that he does not excel in (Remember last year when he had Wood post up and Sengun standing in the corning to spread the floor....)

I think a great coach can see his players and figure out how to use the different strengths of the players. So adapt the system to fit the talented players. Silas does not seem capable of doing this.

I would not be surprised if Sengun still doesn't start tonight. I think we should run our offense based on movement with Green and Sengun creating most of our offense, they are clearly the two most talented offensive players on our team.

6. Germanturk

Germanturk Member

Maybe Silas starts wichtig Marianovic tonight. That would the next option to bench Alpi. Alpi is not good enough to start. Last night He scored and Rebounded not good enough. For a Team like houston the Center must do 50 Points, 30 Rebounds and 20 Assists.
    If Alpi do that maybe thats enough to be a starting Player..

clutchdabear and Crashlanded19 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That combo only let you hang with certain teams but the coaching staff has to find out how to win close games in the fourth, that is paramount.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or the coaching staff is not good enough? Ehum, cough.

9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Let's make a projection:
    What will happen if Silas is not offered a contract and Sengun's rookie contract is not extended at the end of the season?
    Answer: Silas will be jobless if not he signs for a college team. Sengun will be signed for higher amount of salary by another team.

Silas might be a polite man (not nice, just polite) but a hopeless NBA head coach.No different than his father.How his father and himself got these positions unexplainable.

10. conquistador#11

100% agree with this. Silas and co. don't even want to try. I know Sengun won't miss an open Jabari.

0nly Jokic, Embiid, Jonas brothers and Sengun are averaging 19 points and over plus double digit rebounds. He still doesn't have the body those vets do. People want to point out the flaws without allowing him to grow.
    I thought He 'banged' with Aquaman pretty good. Love how Aquaman would fall down to get the call then completely shatter our rockets on moving screens.
    [​IMG]

Need Sengun on the Adams workout plan.

I can also understand that
    Jalen and Porter are shooting like 1000 fgs, Gordon needs his and Jabari needs his. As long as Sengun gets 27-30 minutes and plays with the starters issa all gewd.
    Silas implied that he is and will be playing with the starters more. Got defensive in a nice way of course.

#510 conquistador#11, Oct 22, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    Easy, hakeem94 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol its easily explainable...connections and nepotism...doing favors to agents and players and receiving them back...this is the way of the world...

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the reason why bad teams stay bad forever and why some average team suddenly becomes a dynasty....

no infusion of talent will ever work...this is also why tanking doesnt work...theres a reason you are tanking in the first place and that reason will stay with you and sabotage you even if you get harden durant and kyries of the world...you aint winning it except by a sheer coincidence and that can be done without tanking

clutchdabear and Ankara1923 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so they are either penny pinching or straight dumb?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sengun should be one dribbling the ball only morons are failing to see this...stone has no vision no cohones no nothing
    if we get wemby we still not gonna be able to win nothing

Ankara1923 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Every year or two years there is a number of assistant coaches trying to make it as the coach, either they stick on the wall or they don't.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are wrong about Dejounte but the downside of Dejounte is that he is already 26 while KPJ is about 22-23.

Dejounte knows how to not score when not needed and to pick it up when needed. That is huge knowledge IMO, also Dejounte is a top 6 assist giver in the league or growing to be.

17. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

They need Quin Snyder for 2 years transition period between 2023-2025. They can hire a championship coach in 2025. Watching Silas&Lucas managed team is a torture.

clutchdabear and slothy420 like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am not sure I like how the Rockets used Jonathan Feigen and Clutch to "make these news more palatable" for Rockets fans a day before the season started. Not Clutch's fault at all, but it felt a bit like the Rockets anticipated Rockets fans not liking this move (rightly so, in my opinion) and tried to control the message that way.

Anyway, I am convinced Alpi is too good to not get the minutes.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I usually give Silas more slack than most posters here. I think some of the criticisms aren't fair. He has to juggle a lot with that many young prospects on the roster.

But I do think that Sengun's special talent baffles them. I don't know what's going on behind closed door. My feeling as an outsider is that they aren't trying hard enough.

I still firmly believe that if Sengun can show the world he can shoot consistently either midrange or deep, there will no longer be any excuses for the coaching staff.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed in how both of them acted out like they were team employees. It's like there is a mandate to tote the company line in order to maintain media access.