1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] What we learned from the Asik trade that wasn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Raven

Raven Member

Let's not assume that Morey is holding out for stars. He'd probably be happy with 75 cents on the dollar, but he has no leverage other than to patiently wait for a decent offer.

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If morey's play here is to acquire a FA like Love who hits the open market in summer of 2015, then the target timeframe to acquire him would be around this time next year before the trade deadline. Assuming Minnesota knows Love is going to leave, they'll be shopping for the very best package for him.

Here's how I predict the buyers market to be:

1) teams love is willing to sign long term with
    2) of those teams what assets can they offer Minnesota

This determines the market price and what Morey is looking for (in part) for Asik. If he is all in for 2015 FA, then Morey might forego getting even a real impact player in return and just an expiring contract and the highest pick he can get. Why not just try to get back an unprotected or top 5 protected pick in 2015 since that might be easier to get than a 2014 pick? A 2015 pick would be more transferable than a 2014 pick (already drafted) assuming a trade goes down next year.

We'd have available to trade next year:
    Picks
    - our own 2015 1st round pick
    - our own 2017 1st round pick
    - whatever pick we can get for Asik
    Players
    - valuable players in TJones, Dmo, Lin, Bev, whatever player we can get for Asik, whatever player we draft in the 1st round in 2014

Am I missing anything?

If Moreys play is to put together a package that can beat any other team that meets the above criteria, is that enough?

I think the major buyers would be:
    Clippers
    Picks
    - They could offer their 2017 1st rounder (2015 belongs to Boston so I don't think they can trade their 2016 if I'm not mistaken)

Players
    - could offer Blake. He'd be locked up until 2017 so Minnesota would delay the problem of convincing a star to stay with them for 2 more years.
    - whatever player they draft in the 2014 1st round
    (Most everyone else they'd trade expires or has just one year left on their contract by next year)

Lakers
    Picks
    - Hahahaha!!!!!! Sorry this just feels good to me....

Players
    - whatever players of value they can sign this coming summer on value contracts
    - whoever they draft in the 2014 1st round draft

(Lakers have a ton of cap space to absorb some contracts if that's what Minnesota wanted)

Chicago
    Picks
    - 2015 1st
    - 2017 1st

Players
    - they have two 2014 1st so whichever 2 players they pick
    - they could trade boozer to match salaries as an expiring

(I don't know how what they'll do with deng affects any of this. Also I'd think Love would think twice about going to a team who's future is uncertain with Rose)

------–------------------------------------------------------------

Some other teams I haven't really looked into (spurs, okc, warriors) I can't see love wanting to go to a team that isn't one piece (him) from being serious title contenders. Otherwise he'd just stay with Minnesota.

If Minnesota wants to keep trying to build a contender than Blake is a nice consolation. The clippers can't offer as much by way of picks though. If they'd go for a quick rebuild than we could offer as much as anyone could assuming we trade Asik for a 1st along with young guys in TJ and Dmo.

Assuming DM is shooting for 2015 FA's, what package beats all others out there?

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Good points. Ideally, the sooner the Rockets can get a 3rd star, the better. Until they get that player, they will not be able to build a bench. That means no Llull, Papanikolaou, or backup center.

If Minny wants top value, they will trade him over the summer, similar to when harden was traded.

In trades, it's not about having the best potential package. For example, the clips could beat out anyone by offering Griffin, but I find that very unlikely.

The Bulls scare me more than anyone. Charlottes #1, their own #1, Mirotic, and an expiring Boozer is a great package for Love, and a deal I think the Bulls and Minny would seriously consider. They are likely a team Love would resign with unless Rose comes back as a shadow of his former self.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The bottom-line is to remain flexible. Have the money to throw at Love, LMA or wait for it...Lebron in 2015.

Make them say no to an ideal situation.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I don't get why we aren't making Asik play. We can certainly use him. Really hope the plan isnt to go without our 3rd or 4th most valuable asset not participating until February.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Remaining flexible does not mean they can't go out and find another Beverley in Europe, go and sign a key RG Viper. Give guys a chance.

7. booster rocket

With howard looking solid now in the post, , maybe harden will get him involved more this game since he is playing hurt still. Hope haren finally has seen he light while sitting on the bench healing. Doubtful.

Also, is it me or did lin look possessed right out of the gate last game. I have a feeling he is on a mission since the trade rumours are flying again since he was injured. Just , my observation. He needs to work on his passing and TOs. He watches film all the time, does he not see his mistakes????????? Perplexing

8. Rox>Mavs

Why do you find it unlikely? You don't think the clips would give up Blake for love straight up? I'd do that trade if I were the clips. Not sure if I would if I were Minnesota unless he was locked up for 3 or more years.

The bulls scare me too....they have a ton of quality picks. The unknown variables are what they do with deng and how love feels about playing with rose. We have close to the same value in terms of picks we can offer. A lot of our competitiveness rests on the pick we can get for Asik. Hence the reason I think Morey is being picky (no pun). I think he's looking for something close to the same value of he Charlotte 1rd pick.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We also learned teams dont put that high of a value on a defensive big like Asik.

DD

10. Rox>Mavs

Or maybe not as much 2 months before the actual trade deadline when decisions of all 30 teams HAVE to be made. DM pseudo deadline only works for teams who really want/need Asik or teams wanting to repackage by feb 20. Come feb 20 the market should open up with a lot of additional teams looking to make some moves. The more movement, the easier it will be for DM to find a multi team deal that nets him closer to what he's looking for.

11. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Because he really is injured. Don't let the media or forum fans fool you about it being a fake injury.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Teams are emulating Morey's road map. As far as what team trumps the Rockets offer? Boston and Philadelphia. Both organizations can throw literally a handful of draft picks and/or take on bad contracts.

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

no way morey sacrifices 2015 max cap room....

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Brooklyn is full of turds when it comes to their FO, look for a 3 or multiple team trade happening so they can get Asik. We don't want anything they have but another team can give us what we want and take what Brooklyn has so they can get Asik.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would take a look at ZBO though

16. Raven

Raven Member

Been saying that all along. Morey might not be able to get assets, but he's going to have the cap one way or the other.

17. Rox>Mavs

Sure those teams could by way of picks. But would a star like Love sign a max contract in Boston or Philly? He has the same window horizon as Harden and Howard (right in between them both). Would be sign on to a team that its in full rebuild mode?

I think the market shrinks to legit contenders right now. Of those teams who has a better package to offer?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe we overpaid a little to get him, and teams don't want to reward us for that.

Asik is a decent NBA center, great on D and rebounding, horrible on offense.

DD

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I believe teams self interest overrides any disdain they may have towards the Rockets.

For a team thinking Asik makes them better, I don't think they would hesitate to pull the trigger on an Asik deal just to spite Morey.

20. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Not really there is Interest for Asik,we are just asking for too much it seems.