1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Tracy McGrady attends Rockets practice today (10/4/2013)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Oct 4, 2013.

1. bongman

bongman Member

Funny how Harden mentioned playoff experience and Tmac in one sentence :p

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You don't know anything about JVG era.

JVG focuses on playing defense and playing slow. Utilizing half-court offense and win ugly.

McHale focuses on the complete opposite, run as much as possible, and score before the defense sets.

JVG era of basketball has always been known for winning ugly games, because the offense is atrocious but the defense was elite.

Do you really think that comparing shots taken tells you all you need to know about the different era of basketball? Especially when the JVG era and the current McHale are almost polar opposites in terms of team philosophy?

3. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

In the end Tmac was an exceptionally talented player who under achieved, and never was able to push a team over the top when it mattered most. It's obviously not all his fault, but most star players are criticized for not winning a ring, Tmac is the only star I can think of who never managed to win a playoff series as a starter, and he had quite a few chances in the "weak" east. Add on top of that a number of public relations blunders, quiting on the team mid game, announcing surgery to the media before the team, and expecting superstar treatment when he was not capable of producing like a star any more, and Tmac made it really tough to support him as a Rockets fan.

4. tonyteetime

tonyteetime Member

Oh man , that is so wrong, but funny none of the less. :)

5. jocar

jocar Member

Bye Parsons :(
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uB1D9wWxd2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I think that is very cool of T-Mac and the Rockets.

7. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Wow, I guess a player for you has to be a verified Saint in order to be "supported" by fans. The fact that McGrady helped an underachieving team win 22 games in a row I guess doesn't matter; or the fact that he was an MVP candidate and all star basically every year he played. As for the playoffs...the Rockets had bad luck every year. In '05 they played a great Dalllas team w/out their starting PF (i.e. Juwan Howard) meanwhile their starting PG (Sura) played most of the series with a 102 fever and the flu. Try winning a series--any series--w/out your starting power forward and a debilitated PG. TMac took the Rox to seven games. Also...those playoff series vs. the Jazz...that one that went to game seven it was Yao who missed those free throws in the fourth quarter and teammates who didn't have the skill to complete TMac's awesome passes. You know you're team's got problems when Mike Harris is your sixth man and leading rebounder.

8. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Did you actually watch the rockets at that time?

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Please post that widely reported article with Tracy and Les having heated discussion. It was Coach Rick and Tracy having those heated arguments pimpn.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Where does this info come from? I thought it was T Mac who chose only to play one night of back-to-backs. It was T Mac who announced his last surgery (which obviously cut his playing time to zero). If he wanted to play his way back into shape, why did he end up choosing surgery?

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Like this?

[​IMG]

12. pippsux

pippsux Member

jersey retired?

I think TMAC is doing the smart thing. He wants to get in the hall of fame and have his number retired. So he is playing very nice and it's a good and smart move. It worked for Shaq who burned almost all his bridges before kissing some serious *** from Laker nation.

Good luck Tmac, I hope it works out for you.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Really guys? You're still trying to piece together all of your conjecture about how mcgrady wronged you, five years later?

14. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

guy is retired he got nothing better to do and just go hangout
    i guess he is making Houston he's permanent home now?

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Pace also effects whether the shots you do take are against a set defense or a broken field. Also consider how low T-Mac's turnovers were for such a high-usage player.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm referring to post surgery when he was on his way out of Houston and was trying to get reactivated and ended up requesting a trade in order to go to a team that would allow him to play.

Pr-surgery the Rockets handled T-Mac's demands to not play back to backs, and always took the high road when he went behind the training staff's back to do the surgery with his own doctor.

There were never any repercussions for nights like these-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjbkXewxlGI

Coming back from the surgery the next year, I assume his motive was clearly because he was coming up on free agency that Summer and wanted to prove he was still worthy of another contract. That and the ego of a former superstar who still thought he could do what he used to.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bobby JVG philosophy was a 2 on 5 type offense. Pick and roll with Yao. But lets compare Tracy numbers with his 1st time being the man to Hardens numbers at being the main man.

Tracy 77 games 40 min, .45% FG, .35% 3pt FG, .73 FT, 7.5 Rbs, 5 ast & 1.5 st.
    averaging 32 pts per game

James 78 games 38 min, .43% FG, .36% 3pt FG, .85 FT, 4.9 Rbs, 5 ast & 1.8 st.
    averaging 25 pts per game

They look pretty darn even to me sir. Tracy edges him just a little bit.

18. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Harden scores nearly half of his points from the foul line. They are different types of scorers/players.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

PREACH!!!!!!!!!! LOL Man I've been telling people that for years. But you know what some jokers will never see it like that. All they remember was Tracy promising us a Championship. Or the, " Its All On Me Statement". Oh and the fallout at the end of his tenure here in Htown. Oh wait a minute, I almost forgot the Toronto game where he suppose to quit on one play...bwhahahahahhah

20. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Pace has less to do with number of shots and more to do with how well the defense is set. If you slow down the game you allow the defense to get set into position. In JVG's system the offense was slowed down enough that the other team's defense was in full defensive mode. This is why TMac was often double teamed. When you run a faster pace like the Rockets do now it's very hard to double team a guy and that's why you don't see Harden get double teamed too much. Also you can tell how well you are being defended by the level of difficulty of the shots that you have to make. TMac had to make some extraordinary shots in order to put up the points...Harden less so. Notice last year that the team's whose defenses slowed down the Rockets offense (namely Memphis and Boston) Harden really struggled against, couldn't even score 20 points.