1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Three predictions for an important Rockets offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry meant Bridges and I do think it would be an overpay. I really don’t want to trade Sengun, but Bridges paired with Harden would be a super solid start to contention with or without Sengun.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

4. sydmill

sydmill Member

Coach - David Adelman

Trades
    Martin and Nix to Pacers for TJ McConnell and pick 26
    Garuba to Toronto for Thad Young and future draft considerations (protected 1st down the line)
    I would like to see a deal or 2 using cap space to take on contracts for draft compensation to offset the Westbrook obligatons

Free Agents
    Donte DiVincenzo and DeAndre Jordan

Draft
    Rockets pick - Scoot Henderson
    LAC pick - Dariq Whitehead
    Indiana pick (from trade above) - Adem Bona

Roster
    Henderson/McConnell/Washington
    Green/DiVincenzo/Christopher
    KPJ/Eason/Tate/Whitehead (RGV)
    Smith/Eason/Young
    Sengun/Jordan/Bona (RGV)

This is a middle of the road offseason in my mind. A bunch of doable singles and doubles and you hope that Green, Smith and Sengun improve significantly from this season. Every position has a prospect and a vet, most have 2 prospects so that you are cultivating rotation players down the road. Whitehead and Bona spend all season at RGV but factor into the future. Whitehead might replace a released KPJ if he doesnt take to the new role as secondary facilitator/point forward. Bona get more seasoning and then replaces Jordan as Sengun's primary back up. Team success would be driven by Scoot and Jalen but the remainder of the roster can play just about any way the coach desires. Speaking of coaches, went with David Adelman. He got Jokic's endorsement when he filled in for Malone earlier this season. I would like to think there would be a possibility that Rick would come out of retirement to help install a motion offense similar to how Pete Carrill did for him in Sacramento. Probably just nostalgia there though.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Clutch jumping into the controversial pool !!!! WOOO !!!

Sengun might be traded, KPJ no longer pg, and Silas out - nice article....

DD

larry cook and No Worries like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like our core of Green, Sengun, Jabari and Tari. But isn’t it unfortunate that we still don’t know for sure what we have, heading into year 4 of the rebuild? All I’m saying is that Orlando knows what they have in Paolo. But we don’t have a franchise guy like that. We have players that may or may not develop into something special. For as much as I like our young talent, I wish we had that blue chip franchise prospect.

No Worries likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

year 4? definitely not. This was literally year 2 of the full rebuild

Houston’s rebuild started in 2021 when they got jalen green

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

year 4? definitely not. This was literally year 2 and its just getting started. that's why all the nonsense talks of play in and playoffs and over 25 wins were laughable. A lot of folks don't even understand the basic timeline of what's been going on

Houston’s rebuild started in 2021 when they got jalen green

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We have him.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think two of those are obvious, Silas is definitely out and KPJ already isn't really a PG he's a combo guard sharing that responsibility with Jalen....so since that's already the case, I don't think it's a bold prediction to say that'll continue.

The only bold prediction is Sengun being traded. IMO that's probably fairly likely, depending on what happens in the draft lottery. The Rockets already want to play 5 out and that's not a style Sengun is capable of....they want to switch everything on defense, and that's not something Sengun is capable of. He's a guy that should have significant trade value AND he doesn't fit with what the team wants to do. Typically that's when you see a trade.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I hope you are right. we are really gonna have to improve our player development if he’s already on the roster ;)

for me Sengun is the closest thing we have to “that guy”

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Paola is not a franchise guy in my opinion. Jabari will be the best player from that draft.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Maybe they don’t want to play 5 out with a new coach. I certainly hope they don’t, since our personnel does not fit that scenario. If Silas is on board for another year, then I expect Sengun to get traded. The only other scenario I think that might instigate that is if we get Wemby.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The big domino to fall this offseason is the new HC hire ... who may change O and D schemes ... who may have his own opinion on which players he thinks can or can not develop ... etc.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Whether or not you think Paolo is a franchise guy, Paolo will likely get a max contract when his rookie contract is up.

I am not so sure about Jabari Smith.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Both of you guys said pretty much the same thing, so I'll respond to you both.

I agree, it all comes down to who they go with as the new coach. If we bring someone in who sees Sengun as the star of the team, then they'll likely want to build around him and structure things to get around the things he's not good at. That's all perfectly valid.

That's why it's hard to have these kinds of conversations with so much up in the air....but given the popularity of the 5 out style, and the fact that basically everyone else on the Rockets besides Sengun can do that, I think it's a solid prediction that he might get traded.

No Worries likes this.
  17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Signing Harden should scare the daylights out of the Rockets with his Achilles pain. I would pass on him.

larry cook, DeBeards and J.R. like this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Your logic is correct but your result is not. Chinese fans were rushing to claim Jeremy as "theirs". It was a whole phenomenon, we all lived through it. Thank god it's over.

TheJet likes this.
  19. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

20. ashleyem

ashleyem Member