1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The_Yoyo Interviews Daryl Morey (w/ audio)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Morey is so awesome. Don't think many other GM's would be willing to do this, which is foolish because the questions were great.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

But if Patterson getting MAJOR minutes in the D-League this year would make it more likely that he is, say, a 70 next year (as opposed to, say, a 62 if he sits on the bench or plays insignificant minutes in the NBA), why isn't that the better approach? Especially if Morey/Adelman view Hayes or Andersen as even slightly better options for the 2010-11 season.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

OH MY GOD you did not just say that.

Look I love PPatt as much as the next person... but if you think he can just jump in from the beginning and contribute as much as Chuck without some experience.... well... you and I didn't watch the same games last season.

Edit: forgot to add... well done yoyo! And thank you for asking my question :)

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

@BimaThug, it seems you and I just disagree on what we think of the D-League experience. I'm not a big fan of it for lottery picks(idiotic ones like Hasheem Thabeet notwithstanding).

I know you love PP as much as the next person, but I also believe you love Chuck Hayes much more so than the next person. So doesn't that cancel things out? ;)

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Awesome. Thanks YoYo

6. Zfan

Zfan Member

He expects Hill to spend more time at four. :(

7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

It sounds like Morey thinks highly of the ClutchFans community. Props to Clutch for all the effort and props to Yoyo on that interview!

8. hoyarocketsfan

I am actually kind of surprised morey did this just because I remember a few years ago there was that whole issue where the chronicle complained about clutchfans access during training camp or something. I covered a rockets game for my college paper around that time and Feigen kept giving me weird looks and trying to read my credentials (I probably looked like some internet blogger).

What's the current deal with that clutch/yoyo?

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You can make the case that Patterson should sit behind Hayes because Hayes knows the defense and can make the defensive rotations. I will give you that. But what is the case with Andersen? I don't see any reason Patterson should be behind Andersen in the depth chart.

I think getting "court time" is a good thing. Even in the D league. Now that the Rockets OWN the D league team, they can dictate how it is coached. So seeing time on the court, in game play, playing Rockets style plays to me is very helpful to young players. I think it helped JT.

But I personally think that Patterson could provide quality minutes behind Scola right at the get-go. I would rather see that, than the Rockets going small with Battier at the 4.

10. Hayesfan

perhaps, but do you honestly believe that Patrick could come in and play defense and pass in the offense from day one the same that Chuck could? Honestly?

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I am not sure I believe what he said about Jordan Hill.
    I hope I am wrong about him and Morey is right! :p

Thanks Yoyo everyone appeciates your efforts. Joe Yetti :p

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Ditto

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok here's the deal.

Clutch is like Superman and he takes care of Metropolis

Yoyo is like Batman on the west coach so he takes care of Gotham City

We all know that Superman can destroy Batman, but the Justice League is needed to save the Rockets nation from false information and fake fans.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I believe he can be almost (rookie) Landry on offense, and better-than-Landry on defense. Average that out, and I believe he can contribute on Landry's level half way through the season. More importantly, I believe that such experience would matter if we enter the postseason as another talented option off the bench. Whereas he'd basically be a non-factor in the playoffs if we sit/d-league him his rookie year.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Patterson will get his chance. Adelman has given real minutes to rookies who earned them in the last couple of years, even guys who went undrafted. If the coaches like what they see from Patterson during training camp and preseason, he'll likely see the floor with the big club at some point this season.

16. Hayesfan

The key there is... halfway through the season. That.. I agree with. I don't think he's going to be ready on the opening tip of game one.

17. rocketsmetalspd

Great work Yoyo, keep up the Rockets support. I hope Morey and team reach the goal of bringing a Chip to H-Town very soon. Houston will show the league how to celebrate a Chip if they do.

18. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Ditto.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Okay, then we actually more or less agree. I was speaking more about Patterson's rookie year, rather than what he is day 1. :)

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's awesome you asked about The Picture.

Batman saved up some Kryptonite just in case Superman turns evil.