1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The_Yoyo Interviews Daryl Morey (w/ audio)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2. valorita

valorita Member

I think Andersen was acquired partly because he could cameo next to Yao as the stretch 4.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great interview. I think what was most interesting is that DM didn't think Patterson would be able to crack the working rotation early. He kind of intimated the Rockets could go small at times perhaps with Battier moving to the 4 spot (which gives Ariza, Buddinger more time at the 3). It will be interesting to see how the pre-season goes if Patterson can make his mark to get those minutes behind Scola.

4. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Fantastic job -- well conceived and very well done.

Kudos to The_YoYo AND to Daryl Morey for the willingness to do this for ClutchFans.

Very cool stuff all around.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

A bit disappointed that you asked the "How will KMart and Yao co-exist" question, especially since Morey has repeated his thoughts on it multiple times. But otherwise, some nice insights. His depth chart at the 4/5 is a bit perplexing. Especially if we bring in Brad Miller or some other center. Wouldn't Patterson be in the D-League in such a scenario?

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, not sure how they are going to work the Bigs. If the Rockets bring in Brad Miller, then you have to think that Andersen/Jeffries are on the move. Though I think Morey would rather move Jeffries' expiring for something larger.

Jeffries is important for "salary matching" purposes for any big trades.
    Jeffries+Battier+Andersen+Hill can net you around 19M in salary. That easily gets you a Max contract player.

That's why the failed trade for Chandler sucks because he would have filled a need this year and would have been a 1 year rental with 12M expiring.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

meh, this is like complaining about Cindy Crawford's mole. Stop nit-picking! :p

Great job, The_Yoyo!!! Thanks for getting my question in, even though I submitted it like 10-15 minutes after you said you were done fielding questions.

As far as Patterson to the D-League is concerned, I'd be just fine with that. The more quality experience he can get early, the better. Personally, I'd like to see Patterson in a position to be the backup PF in 2011-12, especially since I do not foresee Jordan Hill being a Rocket after that season. Call it a hunch.

1 person likes this.
  8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Thanks guys

I am really tired right now will do my write up later tonight for day 3

I also got to ask Patrick Patterson a few quick questions yesterday (just like 2)

will try to get that up

but just really tired and I came into work with a message saying all the print spoolers within our collections software here is down and I will have to rebuild the files.

just dandy.

I just want to thank to all those who submitted questions there were a lot sent some were on my list of to ask but couldnt get to. Daryl was talking to someone else before me and then right after he was done with me he had to go talk to someone else before the game started.

The last two questions were my own yeah boy I got to ask two questions :p

5 people like this.
  9. The_Yoyo

also sorry it was my first time doing an interview and trying to read the questions off of my laptop and talk to Daryl at the same time I sort of maybe stumbled on a word or something -so apologies on that hopefully if there is a next time I will do better

10. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

You have nothing to apologize for Yoyo, it was a great interview. Excellent Job

11. ThaShark316_28

Dude, that's a major league hunch. L2MS.

Anyway, it shocked me a bit when he said "Pretty low" about Patterson's impact off the bench. We're going to be very deep this year, so I figured he'd just be apart of the crew. Now that I think about it, I don't want to see Patterson in street clothes, so I'd be cool with him going to Rio Grande and getting some playing time.

This site, these fans, and the overall work put in by not just Clutch aka the Don, but people like Yoyo(who made the word "COOOOOOOM"), BimaThug (Our own Larry Coon) and others make these place great to log in to daily.

12. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

13. The_Yoyo

i wasnt going to ask but it was a very good question

as for the Hill thing I thought it was pretty telling that when I asked him about Patterson he mentioned depth and mentioned pretty much every front court player the Rockets had including David Anderson but NOT Hill

14. Prince

Prince Member

great job.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Fantastic job Yoyo! This is One of those things that help make Clutch the best fan site there is. Much appreciated.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Hill has been a major disappointment. Dude has no defensive presence whatsoever despite his size. Heck, Dorsey would beat him down pretty easily now. Darling Dorsey...

17. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Great interview, thanks Yoyo!

Morey doesn't deny that the tweet was referring to us.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Jordan Hill can still "get it", but I've never been big on him. I thought he was a reach at #8 in 2009 and doubt that he will ever be a major impact player in the NBA. Sure, he can be a nice role player one day. But definitely not worthy of a top-10 selection.

(And Rileydog, I have a feeling that Morey may have been "backtracking" in his post-draft lunch, calling Hill a top-12 guy on their board but a top-6 or 7 guy in terms of pure talent. I think those post-trade comments from Morey about Hill only being a "top 10-20 guy" were not helping Hill's trade value in the wake of a possible Bosh sign-and-trade, or any other potential trade for that matter. Again, just another hunch.)

19. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

I'm so glad he said Kyle is comin back :)

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

My beef(although a small one) is that I don't think Patterson can be much worse than Hayes or Andersen in terms of contributing. i.e. if I grade Hayes to be a 60, Andersen to be a 58, I'd say Patterson's a 55. So I'd like to see him get minutes if possible. Because unlike the other two guys, Patterson can be a two-way player.