1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets should trade Jae’Sean Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. TimDuncanDonaut

I guess it is time. If a deal is done, hopefully good value back.

Salute to all the tater-tots out there.

[​IMG]

3. Mattician

Mattician Member

Before this season I thought Tate was untradable. Now I've changed my mind.

I agree with everything you said about Martin. He should be the starter depending on who the Rockets draft with their top 5 pick.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I 100% agree.

PeterKingX and D-rock like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Been feeling like this since last offseason.

It would be malpractice to not take advantage of Tate's value as much, if not more, than Gordon, Wood, etc.

Plus, he likes to dribble-drive a lot on offense, too much IMO to fit with the guards.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tate is the type to be a liability in a playoff series because he can’t shoot and doesn’t play smart basketball…I don’t mind him being a hustle bench player here in Houston, but I don’t mind if he’s traded either

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Technically there is one Gordon, one Wall and one Wood still to 'get rid of'.

I think Tate would not even mind coming off the bench, you can't say that for Wall.

If you could get a 1st rounder in the late teens or 20s that would be a win.
    Or an early 2nd rounder.

8. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

this is exactly how i've been feeling all season. Tate had his chance, couldn't develop the 3 ball. he is the perfect sweetener to gordon or wall in a trade or a straight up trade for a draft pick and minimum expiring who will be cut. buy low, sell high. he's a tweener who can't shoot. not strong enough like tucker to box out the bigs down low, though he tries. can't shoot well enough to justify his defense. he's a bench piece on a playoff team, nothing more right now. we aint going to pay him so i agree. he's a good guy though. rockets won by finding him. he won by the rockets taking a chance on him. win win.

9. Denovo

Denovo Member

Good. I’m not a fan of his. We need more height and length at the forward spots.

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

At this point, I feel the same way. He hasn't improved much and his shooting seems to have gotten worse.

I like him as a glue guy, reminds me of PJ or Draymond, but as you wrote Clutch, hes 27 almost, will ask for more money and we have a pretty good replacement in KJ

Package him with Gordon or Wood for a top 10 pick

PeterKingX, mikol13 and Clutch like this.
  11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm fine with trading Tate but I disagree with many of the reasons Clutch mentioned.

I think Tate is a low talent small PF that plays hard. His closest comp in the league would be Bruce Brown who teams don't really seem to be clamoring to get. I think Tate could easily be retained for a 2 yr deal with in $5 or 6MM range. I don't think there will be much of a market for him when his contract is up unless he shoots the lights out from 3. I also would be surprised if he could be packaged to trade for a good lottery pick.

The reason I'm fine moving him is just that he doesn't have enough talent or size and it will only continue to hurt our offense. Him playing harder than other younger guys will get him minutes that could be used on development. Also, the age doesn't bother me. It's the age and not having previous NBA experience - he can't serve as a mentor like other players could.

On a side note, I'm enjoying all the enthusiasm from Clutch with this young team. It really seems to have gotten him excited now that the team isn't burdened by expectations and minimal cap/draft flexibility

12. eman

eman Contributing Member

Agree with Clutch. Such a great glue guy should fetch something of value. And KJM has great glue guy potential, as does KJM's backup Nwaba.

Hate to harp on it, but our greatest need is a tall, fast, top tier PG-- someone to get the ball to Jabari Smith in the corners, or Jalen Green on the wings, and I mean right in their shooting pockets, after PnRing/PnPing with Sengun; someone who might be confused with a pit bull on defense. Nix might have that potential. I hope so. But I really don't think KPJ has the attitude for that role. I wonder what he might fetch in the trade market.

Clutch likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

makes perfect sense to do so. He's ideal for a team that's in some type of competitive contention where he can play that defensive hustle role. Fill in the gaps where applicable. His age doesn't fit this teams rebuild timeline and he isn't star. he isn't a must keep by any means

furyn, D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Makes sense. But Tate + our 17th round pick isn't going to equal a clear game changer in the draft. Nor will he net that in a trade.
    Tate + Gordon or Wood? I dunno.

I may be convinced we can do without Tate, maybe better for it even. But it would be a HUGE feather in our GM's cap if Tate can be part of getting us someone useful in return.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I would not trade Tate until you know who you're going to be able to draft. Let's say we know we're going to draft Chet... then we'd be thin at small forward. I do agree that KJ Martin is the choice for long term building over Tate. Regardless of what happens in the draft, Tate should not be starting for the Rockets next year.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Spot on. Tates a ball stopper and a poor shooter. I like his hustle and he has value but I’d use that value in the trade market.

PeterKingX, Clutch and Believe It! like this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Damn, yall just throw players away like that lol. As far as his actual skill goes, I think you need guys like him on a championship team. Unfortuantley we are nowhere close.

All I ask is that you dont trade him to the Warriors, all that I ask.

Tfor3, Dobbizzle, Os Trigonum and 5 others like this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Tate is a bench player on any good team. We may get a two #2's. It'll be better to keep him as a role model for the incoming rookies

PatBev likes this.
  19. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

The moment we trade him he'll become a 35% shooter from 3, I can already feel it

Tfor3, Corrosion and jim1961 like this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lol “unpopular”

the people that want to keep Tate are fewer by the day . People loooove kmj . And he’s younger and more athletic and shoots a better percentage from 3 ... but he’s just not better .

we did Tate a massive disservice trying to make him guard opposing 5’s as much as he did . We traded away theis and didn’t play him with sengun until the last 10 games .

a counterargrument beyond “I like him” is that the rockets have been trying to cultivate a perception around the league as a team that caters to its players . If we flip Tate as just an asset and he wants to be part of the rebuild then that’s not a great look .

I think Tate still has untapped potential and deserves major props for the way he competes despite being on a team with one of the worst records B2B .

give him another year of growth with the other young guys and watch the chemistry be great .

imo he’s a 2/3 more than a 4/5 .. and I think the shot will come around . Defensively , look at some of what he and theis and Gordon were able to do at the beginning of the year .

Sengun needs to get much better here . But an offseason and a camp as the starting center and learning a defense with him in mind all year ... that will be a major boost

edit.

one more thing I’ll say is I disagree with “showed no progress” .. the year before he was playing with John wall , demarcus cousins , Anthony lamb , kpj for 30 games ? This year we try to establish something with theis , stop . Kpj and wood and Gordon and green . Then sengun and garrison matthews .

Through the course of this Tate has been forced into a variety of roles and always has been solid on D . He sometimes looks like a bull in china shop , but sometimes moves the ball quickly and smartly .

I think at his core he is an unselfish player .

I don’t see how y’all can look at kpj, green , matthews , Tate , and sengun and say Tate is the guy that needs to go . Gary needs to be off the bench of glued to it . He got tired at the end of the year too .

With teams going small (and more teams having skilled bigs ) it’s ok to play small too . As long as you don’t stick Tate on guys half a foot taller than him for the majority of the game.

I think people here have “shiny new object” syndrome and can’t see what Tate will do with better and more disciplined teammates and more experienced players .. which our young guys are getting .

He’s older which makes it harder for him to do more things Over the off-season . But , we did a good job resting him towards the final stretch .

let’s see how he grows over one more offseason .
    I still think he’s a potential starter and top 40-50 player

#20 snowconeman22, Apr 22, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    Dobbizzle, Ramo$e, Corrosion and 2 others like this.