1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets, in need of roster spots, are on the clock with Ronnie Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 7, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Isn't there about 20 minutes left?

2. dookiester

dookiester Member

should release him or try to trade for a 2nd round pick and bring covington up from the vipers.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets could just bring Covington up right now and make Brewer inactive. Covington is already on the 15-man roster. Brewer being on the roster has little to do with Covington not being with the Rockets.

If the Rockets felt that Covington could help them win games right now more than Brewer could, then they'd just call him up now. But they're more interested in developing Covington so that he can become a more well-rounded player going forward.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I appreciate y'all trying to defend Brewer but let's be honest.

Brewer lost a lot of hops, isn't quick any longer. With this little playing time he has gotten no rhythm. The only guys he might be checkin on are guys on bad teams. He can't guard no good players no more.
    So much as to situational defender. He is a minus guy every time he steps on the floor.

5. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

and the buzzer sounds as Ronnie's expiring contract is filed away for the trade deadline

6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

So what happened to Brewer? What's going on now?

7. rockets89

rockets89 Member

Dunlevys pretty soft and cant defend well and is a streaky shooter.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

that's why he is an adequate fit :p

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we would give Brewer Garcia's minutes. At least he can play defense. I'm sure we can find a way to cover for Garcia's 6ppg.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

It would definitely make no sense for the Rockets to waive Brewer unless Les just want to save money. His $1.2mil salary is useful for all sorts of salary matching stuff.

And I do think Dunleavy's a good fit. Just not sure how much Morey has to give up.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

True... but one reason they had to consider it is if they could sign someone they really liked to bolster the bench. If not, then yeah... the advantage is you can use that contract (and combine it with others) as an expiring in a trade in the next 5-6 weeks or so, giving you an extra $2M you could take back.

12. dantian

dantian Member

Brewer was a very good player back in Utah, under Sloan. What happened to him?

13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

shandon anderson part deux..

14. dantian

dantian Member

And Byron Russell, Eisley, Vaughn were all much better in Sloan's system than later when they got better contracts elsewhere. Hornecack was also a lot bigger than his talent would suggest. It makes you wonder what Sloan could do with the current Rockets roster.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, I feel if there is someone the Rockets will sign as a FA (Bynum? Hedo?), they will cut Brewer regardless of whether or not his contract is guaranteed. So the deadline I believe will not factor into things.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was a player with a relatively average ceiling. He reached that fast and went on becoming a journey man.
    His shot got worse and everything else too.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

good cheerleader om the bench

18. Sanity2disChaos

Dunleavy is a good fit how...I see him as being redundant on this team...If he played a hint of defense then I could understand but he is no 3D guy. He is really Air Bud on steriods....

Do not want .....

But I could see Camby Helping out at the backup C spot....

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

He was considered a draft bust in Utah. That's why he was traded from there and has since bounced around the league.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

True, but if Brewer isn't helping the team, you'd think the fiscally responsible thing would be to save the $, but in my opinion, the deadline did play a role because it basically came down to Les Alexander's willingness to spend an extra $700K on the off chance a trade opens up.