1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

The story on clutchfans was that Lin having a 6th man role was not a demotion, and was important for the team; and he could hardly object what with McHale and Harden having been prominent in that role.

On the other hand, I don't recall any team interviews where they talked about Lin as having a 6th man role. McHale did sometimes say starting didn't matter to him, or he had two starting point guards. 6th man, on the other hand, I don't recall any mention of.

In any case, the team has seemed to perform better with Beverley starting. Would this still be true if Lin weren't in a slump? Who knows.. it doesn't matter, because he clearly has been in one.

2. Clarinetmonster

Or will they still 'seem' to perform better if Bev continues his slump.

3. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I used 'seemed' because the sample size is small. That's not a conspiracy, it's just a qualified maybe. The numbers clearly indicated things have been going better with Beverley starting so far. It's just a question of whether they are accurately representing what is happening or a mirage.

4. SirKen

SirKen Member

There doesn't have to be one. Lin has already checked out emotionally. He is going through the motions most of the time and I bet he is waiting for a change in the situation.

Shame, Rockets was a fun team to watch last year.

There was a certain script repeated by the commentators at the beginning of the year. People like me who have been following Rockets as a secondary team are mostly aware of it.

It makes sense when you think about it though. Morey has shown that he is taking the analytical approach to building a contending team and that approach is telling him to get as many superstars as possible. Lin (and Asik after Howard was signed) were never in the long term plans. It makes sense to try and integrate Beverley into the rotation to clear some cap space.

5. SirKen

SirKen Member

An interesting comment I have seen was something in the lines of:

"When Lin starts, Bev is injured

When Bev starts, Lin is coming off the bench."

Both had their injuries though. It might make sense to compare the games where they both got to play instead of blindly comparing the games where either of them started.

6. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

That's not the point. Naming people this and that is just pointless. I may agree with you on this and disagree with you on that. Are we going to invent more fancy acronyms for every single agreement and disagreement from now? Sometimes, we need to give each other a pass. We all say stupid things, especially at the peak of our emotion. If you don't like others' posts, ignore them. If you choose response, then don't call each other names cause it seldom helps your argument.

7. mockster

mockster Member

Beverly is making the case!. N my thread got locked cuz I said lin should be starting cuz Bev is coming off an injury and everybody rages.. 1-11 is stank 2-11 not much better for harden but then 13 assist makes it understandable. I told people lin should be starting and it's not because bev sucks he had a bad night but he's coming off an injury and not played in a while n so far lins played pretty solid and established a connection with howard and usually gives good passed to parsons why ruin that?. They should of slowly brought bev back in.

8. theangrycanary

Yeah. Asik checked out physically.

And Lin is checked out emotionally.

No matter how professional you are, you're not going to be dying to help an organization win that completely screwed you over. Kind of a weird place to be. If you do well, you are screwed because you're just helping Morey and McHale look good and you won't be traded. If you do bad you are screwed, because you will be impossible to trade.

I think Lin is kind of stuck playing exactly as he is until he gets to a team that is going to commit to him being a ball dominant PG.

9. andersongo

andersongo Member

There's no problem with a little controversy from time to time. But I genuinely think that this is troll thread. The very wording of the title sounds just like a typical troll thread by kobetards or Lebron stans on RealGm or Insidehoops (The numbers are clear: Lebron/Kobe>>Lebron/Kobe). Just to be clear, Clutch posting a troll thread is his prerogative as it is his forum after all. But are there not more pressing subjects to be discussed on a website that purports itself to be a serious BBALL forum? Especially since we are now at the half-way point and this team is not even a pretender (my championship hopes were pinned on the Rockets this year since my beloved United is suffering from a serious bout of David Moyes)

10. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Appropriately funny post. Beverley would play the role of a basketball player in a movie or tv show very well. He has fooled a lot of people in Houston into thinking he is anything more than an energy guy who grabs loose balls and can annoy somebody for about 15 minutes. But I think it's less about Beverley (whom I actually like as a role player) and more about the poisonous atmosphere McHale and his coaching staff have created around Lin. The kid has put up impressive numbers under a coaching staff that frankly doesn't believe in him as a core player but needs him to get across the finish line for stretches of the 82 game regular season. Without Lin, the Rockets would probably be 8 games worse in the loss column this year. Yet, McHale, Sampson and co. continue to spread this idea that Lin is a weakness rather than a source of strength. The Rockets simply would not have the win-loss record they have accumulated over the last 1.5 seasons without Lin.

11. Jimmy Chitwood

Gotta look at the +/- people. Seriously, with Daryl Morey as our GM, have some of you not figured out that you can't just look at how many points or assists a guy has? Lin CONSISTENTLY turns the ball over more than Bev. The FACT is this team just plays better basketball when Bev is playing PG. Lin just isn't quick enough and doesn't have the mental toughness to keep up with guys like Ty Lawson, Michael Conley, Isaiah Thomas, etc. I don't understand how anyone could deny this.

12. Jimmy Chitwood

Oh my God, that's rich. There's no "agenda" against Lin. Learn how to post better.

Thinking the opposite of everyone else =/= being objective.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Joke's on you LOL

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803005/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

14. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Lin outplayed all of those guards in head to head match ups over the past 2 years. If you actually compare Lin's stats to those of other PGs and extrapolated what he would do if he played took as many shots or played as many minutes, he would be right on par and probably better in some categories (shooting % being one) with Lawson, Irving, Lillard, Conley and Thomas. Lin is 6'3" 200 lbs. He is a tough matchup for the little guards and he can guard both 1s/2s when given a clear assignment. In basketball, if you have a player who is big for his position but has a skill set that is above average or better for players at that position, you have an inherent matchup advantage. The Rockets do not recognize that and do not play to this kid's strengths. Imagine if they actually ran plays to get him shots when he has a hot hand like he did tonight? That's how good coaches should be thinking, but the Rockets coaching staff spends its time trying to prove somehow that they can win without him.

15. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Hoop Dreams was a great movie. Never saw Hoop Reality, but I experienced Linsanity up close at the 2010 NBA summer league when undrafted Jeremy Lin from Harvard outplayed overall #1 blue chip pick John Wall from Kentucky to a standing ovation of a wildly entertained crowd of NBA fans. I don't think Beverley has displayed anywhere near the talent or ability that Jeremy Lin has.

16. Jimmy Chitwood

Again, you're missing the whole, massive point: LIN CAN'T PLAY DEFENSE. That's what I mean by him not keeping up with those guys. And he's a turnover machine. Just look at the +/-,

17. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

I don't get it, why was your thread locked?

18. Neped

Neped Member

Give it up, he's not going to start. He lacks confidence and a coach who doesn't have confidence in him.

19. mockster

mockster Member

I agree with this for the most part, I do think lin doesn't get slot of credit for his contributions. Lin has had some all star like numbers in several games but consistency is his worse nightmare. Like I said about Lin before he's a mystery player who can just explode randomly. I think they doubt him because he's not consistent and not a true PG. I mean they make a good point if they really don't like him which I'm
    Sure they don't. I mean sending lin in a package deal with other players (asik)? And grab some solid players we could maybe of been +15 games better over exgeratted but still. Lin should be starting though bev Is coming off an injury which required surgery and is rusty. Bev is a good player but ease the guy in dkbt slap em with 33 minutes and make him starter. I know it's just his hand but it just makes no sense.

20. mockster

mockster Member

People hating on it saying I'm loco because I think lin should be starting over Somone coming off a decently long surgery injury. How can a player who has not played in a while coming off and injury take your starting job considering Lin had had some solid games and has shown connections with howard and parsons. He's inconsistent but he's better then Beverly in my opionon. Bev is good though this was just a bad game he will probly play much better but bring the guy in slowly don't throw him out there like a piece of meat. They basically said u should of taken it to another thread but it basically got closed because all of they hate on it and it just came off the win of Portland so everyone was but riding Beverly for one good game but don't get me wrong Beverly is a solid player.