1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. archinkent

archinkent Member

I am a Lin fan and I agree that this thread may be unnecessary and premature, but it's Clutch's site and he has the right to post whatever article he wants.

2. andersongo

andersongo Member

Berverly is an overrated scrub, hustle can only get you so far - floor leadership when you can't run an offense nor present a consistent scoring threat as a PG is pure fail. Howard still has not figured out that the way he wants to play is not the best use of his talents. Harden seems to be satisfied with being the best of the sorry lot that is the current crop of SGs. McSuccess is McSuccess. These are the hard truths. Lin is redundant and irrelevant in the big picture and is merely trade fodder.

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has tangentially been in my mind since the TNT clowns mentioned that the high pick and roll doesn't serve Howard well. Perhaps running the PnR at free throw line extended, a zone putting the roll man practically a step away from a dunk and the ball handler in a decent shooting range would benefit the team? This would have the added effect of taking advantage of Lin's first step by not giving the defender more space to recover.

Sure it would mean the ball handler would not have the 3 ball option, but maybe theming closer to the rim would make the ball handler and roll man more efficient? The other guys could always try for the three.

At the very least run high PnR for Harden and run it inside the arc for Lin?

4. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

About the same so far this season.

5. Clarinetmonster

One more time - this is not on Bev - It's on the coaches for leaving him in there and allowing him to hoist up brick after brickety brick.

6. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

it's cuz our offense promotes shooting the 3 if the man is open. so bev is usually open cuz he doesn't require too much defensive attention. he has to be able to hit it consistently. it's sad he hasn't this season.

7. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

im quoting my own post. in no way am i insinuating lin HAS hit his open 3's, beucase he's been as streaky as bev...i feel this is important for me to say before im labeled a LOF.

8. Exel

Exel Member

*Cough*

9. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

This isn't a Lin or Bev problem. I honestly think both of them help each other on bad nights or hot nights depending on the situation. Mchale really should be questioned here. This is a good thing, more situations like this will just show if the coach can handle it or not.

10. rajon

rajon Member

In my opinion, Lin should close most games. He has always been pretty clutch. I realize, however, that there will be times when Patrick will be doing a fantastic job defending someone and he will need to stay in.

The nba defines clutch as 5 minutes or less with a point differential of 5 points or less.

in 2013/14

Jeremy Lin
    11/21 (52.4% fg) 4/7 (57.1 3pt%) 7/8 (87.5 ft%)

For the sake of comparison (Please don't misconstrue this as me trowing shade at any player)

Patrick Beverley
    5/7 (41.7 fg%) 4/13 (30.8 3pt%) 0/7 (0 ft%)

Chandler Parsons
    8/24 (33.3% fg) 2/6 (33.3% 3pt) 3/6 (50% ft)

in 2012/13

Jeremy Lin
    16/33 (48.5 fg%) 5/10 (50% 3pt%) 19/23 (82.6 Ft%)

Patrick Beverley
    2/8 (25% fg) 2/5 (40% 3pt) 0 fta

Chandler Parsons
    12/28 (42.9% fg) 7/15 (46.7% 3pt) 8/12 (66.7% ft)

I felt it would be inappropriate to add Harden's numbers because he is so much more heavily guarded and is who opponents focus on when developing a game plan. I'll leave you this stat tho.. 39/48 ( 81.3 ft%), pretty good huh? :) That is the most clutch ft made in the league btw.

http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerCl...00&Season=2013-14&sortField=FTM&sortOrder=DES

11. Dimeron

Dimeron Member

When Lin starts, Bev is injured and not playing.

When Bev starts, Lin usually lead from the bench, playing major minutes.

Just something to keep in mind.

12. klkl96

klkl96 Member

I agree. nobody can force him only take three points. 8 of 11 his shots are threes. When your three shots are not falling, you take other ways to score. But for PBev, there are not many options other than jacking up threes since he is an one dimension player. Coach need to take him out in this situation.

13. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Just for fun. Sometimes, we need to laugh a little after a bad loss.

With all these threads about Lin vs. PB going on in the CF, I would do whatever I could to keep both PB and Lin in the Rockets if I were JH and DH. Otherwise, who else is going to get blamed with those two weeping boys gone :grin:?

14. Cranberry_Juice

Matt Bullard. I hate that smug b*stard.

15. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I'm just saying- if we use the same methodology that Clutch uses here to make his point. Based on tonights cratering finish and Bev's shooting percentage (who cringed every time he shot like I did)... we don't need stats to realize who should be finishing games as our PG either.

16. RRockets

RRockets Member

PBev had a bad game tonight. So what? We need his hustle and energy and D.

In the long run, his number will support OP's article

17. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

His D was garbage tonight

18. mikster

mikster Rookie

Rep to this. 2-9 and 1-11 is starting to pile up

19. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

This whole thread is based on stats. See my post (#481) where I used the exact same stats to look at lineups and it showed that Casspi instead of TJ is better regardless of Lin or Bev at PG. It also showed that if you play Lin and Brewer with Harden, Howard and Parsons, we are better than the current starting 5.

And my point was that this whole conclusion that Beverley "deserves" to start over Lin is rubbish based on these stats so I'm glad you agree with me.

And yes, the eye test showed me that Bev can't shoot and is the reason we lost the game tonight.

20. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

To give Beverly credit, to start in the NBA is not easy, it takes a lot of courage to be able to brick but keep shooting in order to stop your shooting slump.