1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. makman

makman Member

So driving into the lane, picking up your dribble, jump passing to anyone around is bad? :confused:

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I always just wondered why did morey/les give lin that contract? Think about the dna in their previous dealings. Brooks up for contract,nothing happened,traded. Lowry and scola up as rfa. It took another league threat for scola and cleveland for lowry to get deals. Dragic after becoming a starter played well under the coach,and the dispute is over a 4th yr option. Here comes lin,cut from the squad,has 20 really good games,gets injured and morey felt the need to poison pill a contract for a guy who didn't even do as much as the previous 3 pgs? Not only that,you pay him more than those 3? No team was ready to give 8.3m on a 20 game sample coming off injury.

Now we look around and we're talking about upgrading the pg spot. Dragic played well under mchale regardless of not having harden. I'm sure if beverly wouldn't take dragic minutes or spot starting despite dragic kinda needing the ball also.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cypress

Cypress Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good lord. What unadulterated nonsense. Jeremy himself would be embarrassed if he read that. Welcome to my ignore list. Adios.

5. Flippin

Flippin Member

LOF's don't know bball or Rocket's history in general. They only know Lin and that's it. It's pointless talking bball with them. They also have no idea what great defensive really is. I really like Jason Friedman's piece last night on the team and Beverley. He wrote.

"And on the other end of the floor, Beverley’s ball pressure was a sight for sore eyes. On one possession, Beverley so doggedly hounded Mo Williams that Portland wasn’t able to initiate its half-court offense until eight seconds remained on the shot clock. Such sequences have obviously been few and far between in his absence, hammering home the fact that if characteristics like energy and effort are skills, Beverley is downright elite in those areas. Few players are willing, much less able, to bring that sort of relentless tenacity every game and every minute the way he does."

“He’s just so solid, Parsons said of his teammate. “He’s so fearless and he brings that intensity, he plays great defense and he’s very vocal, too. It was so good to have him back and he was knocking down shots and doing everything for us tonight.”

6. bongman

bongman Member

no it doesn't. If u have a neighbor that plays loud music all the time and doesn't seem to care if anybody else in the neighborhood hood can sleep, an altercation happens, is that really because of 2 sides?

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two things that are real:
    Today is Hakeem Olajuwon's birthday
    Clutch's article

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

lin fans are mad!

9. pakattak

pakattak Member

It's a hard pill to swallow, especially considering how much of a cultural revelation (Asian American kid can start on a professional basketball team, whaaa?!) he was. It still feels like a drop off or a consolatory prize.

Give it some time and things will die down. Just don't be surprised people are upset. There's a lot of ethnic and cultural pride riding on this kid. He didn't ask for it, he probably doesn't deserve it, but it's just the way things turned out.

I sometimes wonder if Jeremy Lin wished he wasn't Asian. He clearly loves basketball and is good enough to play professionally, but the insane expectations, both high and low, are all derived from the only thing he didn't have a choice in: his ethnicity.

1 person likes this.
  10. JBar

JBar Rookie

It's seems we've got most of these roles covered. We just need the junk yard dog (Bev) to give attitude lessons to Smith, who has the physical gifts to be an enforcer.

11. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I don't care who starts, doesn't matter to me. But I do want better coaching so the players know their role on this team.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. Mr. Clutch is actually a different poster, fyi.

2. Clutch doesn't work for management.

3. The argument is not that Beverley is better than Lin. The argument is that the starting 5 performs better with Beverley than with Lin.

4. The good performance by Beverley was excluded from the analysis because Terrence Jones wasn't playing. Clutch was comparing only games with the regular starters -- Howard, Jones, Parsons, and Harden. And, with the amount of data already available, 2 poor games probably won't drastically change the results.

5. He's not cherry-picking games, but looking at all games played that fit the criteria (the other 4 regular starters).

1 person likes this.
  13. pakattak

pakattak Member

Yeah. What if he was in a community that valued loud music at night? That would be a 'good' community because people get a long despite the unorthodox culture.

'Morality' isn't black and white, it's relative. At least on the internet you have the choice to ignore/block/ban the bad apples. It's a lot harder to do something like that in the real world.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

STICKY THIS ISH!!

16. bongman

bongman Member

I agree if that was the case. The community that values loud music is a Jeremy Lin fansite. This is a rockets community which values rockets talk == silence.

Yes I have all those options and I have done that, but what I dont see are the quality posts anymore that I used to love and read. Mainly because of the cause and effect of ALL these noise is that the people who used to love and visit this site has been turned off.

17. Flippin

Flippin Member

Right on!

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Welp, that's that.

Clutch absolutely Nolan Ryan-ed the Lin fanatics (Robin Ventura).

#98 tellitlikeitis, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  19. Fighton

Fighton Member

dude, it's his second year playing significant minutes in the league. he's story is not over yet. who knows where he'll end up in a few years.

patrick is a better fit in this system. no doubt. but that doesn't mean lin is now a scrub. his skills are still very much valued in this league. as long as he keeps playing his style of ball, being aggressive to the basket and converting 60% at the rim, he'll be fine.

20. team5

team5 Member

Is the rating only for 4 starter other than PG?