1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Welcome to real life. This isn't a movie. I wanted him to succeed. It didn't happen, time to move on.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Truly an excellent read, Clutch, and well timed. I hope everyone reads it with an open mind. The facts speak for themselves, and you laid them out so that anyone can understand them. Thank you!

It sucks to you, perhaps, but for fans of the Rockets, not members who are only here because of Jeremy, it's simply discussing who's the better fit as the point guard on this team, and the answer is obvious. As for this quote:

"To see him start with such promise yet fall into such obscurity is disappointing to say the least."

What on earth are you basing that comment on? He was undrafted out of college, was waived by Golden State and the Rockets, and played little on the Knicks until he got his big break. Jeremy made the most of it, injury ended his run, and he went from some weeks of acclaim in New York to a $25 million dollar contract with the Rockets, numerous chances at becoming the starter, and is now a contending team's 6th Man, with an opportunity to shine in the playoffs. All while earning over $8 million per season. I'd say he's been very successful, very lucky, and if Jeremy is anything, he is NOT obscure.

Get a grip, dude.

#42 Deckard, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Antagonistic is to go tell them to go eff themselves. I am still being incredibly civil. Those idiots talking does hurt things. They make this community absolutely miserable. In case you missed it, Clutch and other Clutch Crew members have mentioned many times that their patience with LoF's have reached a minimum.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Lin had a month to prove he deserved to start. He failed. Hell, at times during this stretch, he was outplayed by Brooks.

5. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Linfinity

Therefore

all your math belong to me

1 person likes this.
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

It may have been Craig Ackerman that said last night "The Rockets are just a different team with Beverley and Parsons on the floor. They are glue guys that make things work."

We've now gone through an extended period without Bev and a shorter one without Parsons. In both cases, the team's performance lagged and was highly volatile.

Lin was brought in at a different time and with a different purpose. Unfortunately for him, this team has evolved away from his strengths, and there is not an obvious path for trading him.

IMO, the way forward is obvious. Let Asik and Lin expire in 2015 (or trade them beforehand), sign a 3rd star, and re-sign Bev and Parsons with their Bird rights. If Les is truly committed bringing to another championship to Houston, this is the right decision.

Good stuff, Clutch.

7. pakattak

pakattak Member

Just give me a couple more months to let it sink in.

I think some scotch might help speed the process a little.

It's weird, though, isn't it? I really love this team, the Rockets. I wasn't a fan before Lin, but I definitely am, now. But I still can't help but feel this pit in my stomach when Jeremy plays like garbage, even with the Rockets win.

8. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Now this is the LOF i like, someone who doesnt let it cloud his judgement. There is nothing wrong with being a Player only fan as long as you can stay objective in you critisisms and analysis.

9. bullardfor3

bullardfor3 Member

I love Jeremy! I love the Rockets more. Great article Clutch.

We need more good Jeremy. He always performs better as the underdog. Hopefully this will make him even more determined.

PBJ!

10. passdarock

passdarock Member

I agree. Great article.

11. ipa

ipa Member

Yup! Beverly was like possessed during his first game back. Pressure while defending would cover all other weaknesses. Now we see, that those so called weaknesses compared to Lin, are not really there, so from now on `Lin Starter` should not even be discussed...

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

It's only a matter of time before the LOH/trolls (King1 and Speigel) start spewing posts to piss off the LOFs/trolls.

13. bongman

bongman Member

It is easy for you to say that because of your join date. I love this website because this is the one that gives me the most ROCKETS info I need. If you have been here prior to 2011, you would be able to tell a huge difference in the quality of posts compared to the ones you see today.

I rarely see some of the great posters anymore because the GARM has been flooded with all these type of threads. Somebody can post a great comment but it will get lost in the abundance of how good or bad Lin is.

14. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

PER is flawed in that it's unable to fully address a player's defensive impact. I feel like Lin's offense is on par with Beverley's defense and vice versa. But we need a defensive minded player who doesn't need the ball in his hands to go with our other much more offensively capable starters.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

bev made an instant impact with two defensive plays within the first MINUTE of being on the floor last night.

that set the stage instantly for how this team can play with PB as the starter.

I still think Lin has value being a 6th man.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the best part of this article is that Lin himself plays better as a sixth man. Sure, it's nice to have the starter title for bragging rights, but leading the second unit is a pretty important job as well, and he's suited to it. I hope he's happy for the role, because I'm happy he has it.

I don't think Clutch ever said that Lin fans weren't welcome here. All he said was that he knew an article arguing to start Lin would have been more popular, but isn't true.

Clutch wrote a good argument for why Beverley is the better starter, but the thread about it has been nearly nothing but an unprovoked attack campaign on LOFs. At least have the class to wait for a biased Lin defense to be made in the thread before decrying LOF irrationality. This wasn't a LOF/LOH OP but responses like this one make it so. And it isn't the LOFs instigating.

2 people like this.
  17. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

I love Bev's attitude and grit. It was clear that he fits better and last night was just a testament on how the team put the red hot blazers in their place. With the addition of Dwight, it has slowed down our pace. We need that guy who operates on a different gear to stir things up and Pat is our guy. I think of Beverly as the spark plug to our starting units engine and Lin as the facilitator for the second unit keeping them in check. In a sense, the bench guys are a bunch of "spark plugs" hungry to prove themselves jacking up shots recklessly (cisco, dmo, casspi, brooks). Lin sorta keeps these guys in check and make sure the offense is running smoothly by distributing or scoring if need be. It's a win win situation so I can't see why any true fan can be upset by this.

18. Flippin

Flippin Member

Don't even talk about these LOF's. They have no idea how the game of bball is played absolutely none. As Clutch posted, he put out numbers and facts but ultimately these LOF's will find some way to discredit it. Great job Clutch!

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

LOL

Great article Clutch. Thanks for reminding folks that it's about THE TEAM. I, for one, really like what Lin brings off the bench. Why can't folks get excited about that. He was an early 6th man of the year candidate a month ago. That's obviously his best fit on this team. It's a very important role!

20. vator

vator Contributing Member

...and then Clutchfans explodes

Boom goes the dynamite.